What's new

Pipe Tobacco

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think I'll just leave well enough alone ... I've never been a smoker ... not gonna start now. I'll remain content to smell the pipe tobacco but not smoke it. If I'm ever lucky enough find myself in close proximity to another pipe ....

- Dave

Though not a pipe smoker I am an occasional cigar smoker. I don't know how it is with the pipe but the cigar is generally not to be inhaled. This practice negates pretty much most of the ill health effects of smoking, though not all. But all are significantly reduced. Everything, I mean everything carries risks. In moderation the vast majority of the population will suffer no ill effects from cigar smoking. And of course the second hand smoke argument is pretty much debunked so there's no risk to anyone else either. So don't be afraid to try something that can add a little joy to your life just because there are some hysterical people out there that despise it. Just my 2¢.

Chris

EL Alamein said:
Though not a pipe smoker I am an occasional cigar smoker. I don't know how it is with the pipe but the cigar is generally not to be inhaled. This practice negates pretty much most of the ill health effects of smoking, though not all. But all are significantly reduced. Everything, I mean everything carries risks. In moderation the vast majority of the population will suffer no ill effects from cigar smoking. And of course the second hand smoke argument is pretty much debunked so there's no risk to anyone else either. So don't be afraid to try something that can add a little joy to your life just because there are some hysterical people out there that despise it. Just my 2¢.

Chris[/QUOTE

This is true ...

AJS said:
Greetings from a fellow Hookah lover. Have you seen the High Life range of glass hookahs? They are marketed mainly for those who enjoy "alternative" combustibles, ahem, but to cover themselves legally they market a range of flavoured tobacco blends. Although their product smells a lot of better than it tastes, being made of glass with large diameter bowls they smoke very smoothly indeed. Their charcoal also burns very cleanly, not that that makes much difference but I'll take any advantage I can get in the war against smoking related diseases. Also have you ever tried putting a hookah in the fridge and then filling it with ice water, it is an incredibly pleasant sensation, even for someone like me who doesn't particularly enjoy smoking.
Warm regards,
Alex
Alex,
I have seen those, but they are not my thing. I do have one of the mini-hookahs that I think are made in Japan or China, and they smoke surprisingly well. As well, in fact, as my standard sized hookahs, but are far more portable. I got the hookah bug at the beginning of the Iraq war, and my first hookahs were purchased from Iraqis while I was in Baghdad. (Yes, I used the plural version...I broke one, gave two away, and kept one...they are cheaper there than here. But the tobacco cost more). I like some of the more traditional flavors, strawberry, double apple/two apples, rasberry...but what is fun is mixing the flavors. Just a touch of banana tobacco and the rest full of strawberry...is very good. If you like refrigerating the base, try adding fruit juice or powdered "tang" to the water. I've heard of rich sultans using wine in the bottom, but they smoked some weird stuff like pearls in the top, as well....
But the tang works. I usually just have water, but sometimes that is a nice twist.
Also, I'm sure you already know this, but you can pay a myriad of different prices for what you want. Go to the trendy hookah clubs or smoke shops with the 19 year old kid with a nose ring, and the selection will be good, but it will be old, and well, it is like buying Disney stuff at Disneyland versus the outlets. I find the best selection and prices are at many of the local middle eastern markets (you know the ones, with perhaps 2 words in English on the sign, and the rest in Arabic) they are the best places to shop.
John P.

Wow.
I hope I didn't kill the thread...it was just getting interesting, I thought...
I am always interested in learning new things to try (or spreading what I have enjoyed). If I knew, for instance about "sipping" the pipe when I had first started, perhaps I would still smoke one, but I learned too late, when I was already growing tired of the habit.
John P.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Okay- so the free razor goes to Rob L, a lurker who recognized me from another forum and emailed me. That may not be entirely fair, but since I didn't say members only, he gets it- a circa '48/'49 super speed in almost mint condition.
In retrospect, perhaps if I mentioned the razor, I might have received more responses.
I included a Feather, so don't cut yourself, Rob!:lol:

My wife and family were on vacation in the Michigan Upper Peninsula last week. It was a great opportunity to pack a few pipes and a 4 year old tin of Frogmorton Accross the Pond.

Wonderful to have a bowl in the middle of the woods with Lake Michigan just a few feet away.:001_smile

Sam Adams and a nice Latakia blend are the stuff of legend.... <sigh>

ouch

HlSheppard said:
My wife and family were on vacation in the Michigan Upper Peninsula last week. It was a great opportunity to pack a few pipes and a 4 year old tin of Frogmorton Accross the Pond.

Wonderful to have a bowl in the middle of the woods the Lake Michigan just a few feet away.:001_smile

Sam Adams and a nice Latakia blend are the stuff of legend.... <sigh>

The three Frog Mortons are the only English blends I enjoy from McClelland. Their specialty is, of course, Virginias. I recently polished off some ten year old Blackwoods flake that was just starting to come into its own. It was quite a treat.

You're absolutely right, Ouch. I have a few 10-12 year old flakes from McClelland (even some vintage Christmas cheer). I try not to touch them until the tins are bulging and the tobak has some nice 'sugar crystals' on it :tongue_sm . That's about the only way that I can really enjoy a Va tobacco.

The exception is a few of the Samual Gawith flakes that have some light topping on them (i.e. Kendall Cream flake). Those are very tasty and mild without much aging.

Most of my favorite Latakias have been from Pease and Smoker's Haven. Although I have SO damned many tins - cripes... I like em all!! :biggrin:

You guys are making me drool.... I have been taking a pipe hiatus while I work through my Havana backlog from my recent trips, but methinks it is time to indulge in the briar again.

ouch

Pease??? I'm going to have to try some of that!:lol:

I have some old Xmas Cheer, too. I agree that McClellands usually show their best after a long time. There are so many great VA's to try, but I think the very best is Astley's No. 109. I see it as a slightly more sophisticated version of Rattray's Marlin Flake. Another unique one is Esoterica's Stonehaven- that stuff is off the charts.
Both S. Gawith and Gawith, Hoggarth, and Co. make some very interesting Virginias.

Do you post on tobaccoreviews.com?

No - I've never posted. I was reviewing for alt.smokers.pipes a few years back - but that went "by the wayside" with the addition of my kids.

G.L. Pease makes some FANTABULOUS tobaccos!!

www.glpease.com

I know Greg personally (met him at more than a few pipe shows), and he is definitely following his 'calling.'

ouch

Just kidding about the Pease products- the "Dark Lord" rules. I posted on alt.smokers.pipes for years. What I enjoy about this site is the similar camaraderie. I used to trade packages of baccies with dozens of folks there. What a great bunch of guys.

David,
If you are serious about trying a pipe, PM me or send an email and I will send you a briar and some mild English baccy.
I have been smoking pipes and cigars for many years and I must say that the relaxing effects of pipe smoking alleviate much of the stress I am constantly surrounded with. And we ALL can agree that stress has been proven to cause numerous health related problems.
Please check this link for info as you start your journey.

http://www.pipes.org/how_to.html

PS. I have to agree about GLP. Barbary Coast is my desert island baccy !!

I know this thread stopped a while back but I guess i'll put in my 2 cents.

I smelled a guys pipe at work one day and I loved the smell. I remember as a kid in the grocery store going down the isle with the pipe tobaccos and just stopping and sniffing the bags because the smell was just awesome.

So I figured I was old enough to try it out to see what I liked and I went to a pipe/cigar store and talked to the guys that worked there and they really were some super friendly people and very helpfull. I ended up buying a used but cleaned up pipe for like $15 or so, nothing fancy just a straight pipe. Bought some of the store tobacco from the jar, I think like 4 or 5 differnet flavors, and went home and tried to figure out how to work this thing ?!? lol

Anyway I ended up finding a tobacco that I really enjoyed which was Danish Black Vanilla in the tin. The smell I loved, taste was nice, and the smoke was cool. For me I thought it was just right.

I got to where I wanted to buy me a nicer pipe because I ended up just hating the straight pipe and wanted a new bent, but I just never got a chance (or money mainly) to get one so I just got rid of the ol straight.

I miss sitting on my porch looking at the stars and blowing smoke rings or well trying to but when that one ring that came out just perfect and slowly rolled away I thought that was sooo relaxing.

Thought about buying a new pipe after bootcamp, but I guess we will see what happens. I do miss it.

If you are thinking of smoking a pipe try to find a local store that will give you honest advise on how to do it, types of tobaccos, and see if they will sell you small amounts or possibly give samples of various tobaccos to try. If they have refurbs for cheap that might not be a bad route to go either but then again I only done it for like 2 months so I am definatly not a pro.

Top Bottom