What's new

The Mystery of the Missing Pipe

Alas, one of my favorite pipes is missing. The Ryan Alden BL LE is nowhere to be found. I know, right? This is a minor tragedy in the larger scheme of things, for sure, but I'm going a bit batty trying to locate it. At last documented report, it was packed and ready to smoke on Tuesday, October 24, at my Daughter's house in East Texas. You might remember that was the fateful day a ceiling fan fell from its mounting and struck me on the head whilst smoking the 2023 Tinsky LE. Neither my head nor the pipe was badly damaged; staples in the head, the pipe was fine.
I don't remember if I later finished smoking the Alden or not.
I drove home, S.W. Kansas, the following Friday with my pipes in tow. Now, I can't find the Alden and don't have any recollection of having it in hand since I returned home. My son-in-law did a search at their place with no joy. I've searched all the usual and unusual places here at home. It almost has to be either at their house or at ours, I did no smoking on the trip in between. That or the unthinkable, it may have been accidentally discarded in my unpacking.
As the story unfolds I will keep you posted. That is unless it takes decades for the pipe to appear. Wish me luck!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's always in the last place you look.
Because no one continues to look for something after they have found it

Hope it turns up soon and you can do the traditional forehead slap and say "Oh, yeah... I remember putting it there now!"

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Do you have any pipe/tobacco pouches that you might have put back in a drawer/cupboard when you got home, not realising a pipe was still in It?

Same question, but car door pocket, glove box, boot?

In a jacket pocket or bag that you took to the hospital (just in case), and haven't checked in since?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Consolidated check list:
:( Is there any chance your daughter has any four legged pets?

Do you have any pipe/tobacco pouches that you might have put back in a drawer/cupboard when you got home, not realising a pipe was still in It?

Same question, but car door pocket, glove box, boot?

In a jacket pocket or bag that you took to the hospital (just in case), and haven't checked in since?

Pockets, chair cushions, and vehicle cushions.

Hope it turns soon.

Don't forget to check the car.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Well, that's a bummer. I've been known to misplace a bunch of things and yet strongly remember the last place I had set something down at even years later. As others have mentioned, bags, car, even trash can at this point are all viable options. Best of luck trying to find your pipe.

Thanks for the encouraging words and hints. There was no smoking on the drive home as I was driving my wife's vehicle. The pipes were in my Herfador case, so it's unlikely in the car, which I've searched, just in case. We are back to our daughter's for Thanksgiving, so I'm hope I will find it there. She does have dogs. Three fairly small dogs who have never showed any inclination to grab a pipe. Nor have our two. But I suppose there is a first time for everything. Maybe a squirrel? Anyway, I'll update you all after we return post-thanksgiving.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
download.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks for the encouraging words and hints. There was no smoking on the drive home as I was driving my wife's vehicle. The pipes were in my Herfador case, so it's unlikely in the car, which I've searched, just in case. We are back to our daughter's for Thanksgiving, so I'm hope I will find it there. She does have dogs. Three fairly small dogs who have never showed any inclination to grab a pipe. Nor have our two. But I suppose there is a first time for everything. Maybe a squirrel? Anyway, I'll update you all after we return post-thanksgiving.
I hate to break it to you but I’m pretty sure the Leprechaun that used to steal my packs of cigarettes has been at your daughter’s house. I never did find any of those packs.

My first foray into pipe smoking was brought to an abrupt halt when the one pipe I had was left in the back bumper of my truck and fell off somewhere on a limestone backroad in Texas.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I hope it turns up sometimes soon. In a similar fashion, I can't seem to find a few of my pipes that I was smoking this past winter. I live by myself though, with no pets, and have not left the house with those pipes in years, so I'm assuming they're around here somewhere. More than likely, I had some guests coming over, and in an attempt to spiffy up the place, I might have put them in a box or the back of a drawer or something.

My first foray into pipe smoking was brought to an abrupt halt when the one pipe I had was left in the back bumper of my truck and fell off somewhere on a limestone backroad in Texas.

I lost my trusty Xikar cigar and my favorite torch lighter that same way a couple summers ago. I was grilling late one evening, and had set the lighter and cutter on my back bumper, which I had done numerous times before, while I was pulling food off the grill. The sun was going down, and after getting the food ready and cleaning off the grill, it was dark. I didn't think about it at all until the next evening after work when I went to look for both the lighter and the cutter. That really bummed me out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom