What's new

The Mystery of the Missing Pipe

I have a theory. I call it The Critical Mass Theory of Possessions:

Once you own a critical mass of a thing, you will never misplace or lose that thing again.

For example, I found myself without my Old Timer pocket knife on a trip out of town. For the life of me, I could not find it.

So, I went on eBay and bought six of the same model. Within a day or two of the "new" knives arriving I found the missing one under the seat of my car. I had looked twice under there in my search without finding it.

That was twenty years ago. I still have it and it's replacements.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Alas, one of my favorite pipes is missing. The Ryan Alden BL LE is nowhere to be found. I know, right? This is a minor tragedy in the larger scheme of things, for sure, but I'm going a bit batty trying to locate it. At last documented report, it was packed and ready to smoke on Tuesday, October 24, at my Daughter's house in East Texas. You might remember that was the fateful day a ceiling fan fell from its mounting and struck me on the head whilst smoking the 2023 Tinsky LE. Neither my head nor the pipe was badly damaged; staples in the head, the pipe was fine.
I don't remember if I later finished smoking the Alden or not.
I drove home, S.W. Kansas, the following Friday with my pipes in tow. Now, I can't find the Alden and don't have any recollection of having it in hand since I returned home. My son-in-law did a search at their place with no joy. I've searched all the usual and unusual places here at home. It almost has to be either at their house or at ours, I did no smoking on the trip in between. That or the unthinkable, it may have been accidentally discarded in my unpacking.
As the story unfolds I will keep you posted. That is unless it takes decades for the pipe to appear. Wish me luck!

Have faith. I just stumbled a box with about a dozen of my pipes that I haven't seen in close to a year. They were sitting under some winter gear. I'm vaguely starting to remember somebody coming over last Spring. I think in the haste of trying to clean up some clutter, I put them in a box, put it in my front closet, then tossed the winter gear on top. I figured I might have put them in a box while quickly cleaning up one day, but did not realize they were under the winter stuff.

Keep encouraged.

Have faith. I just stumbled a box with about a dozen of my pipes that I haven't seen in close to a year. They were sitting under some winter gear. I'm vaguely starting to remember somebody coming over last Spring. I think in the haste of trying to clean up some clutter, I put them in a box, put it in my front closet, then tossed the winter gear on top. I figured I might have put them in a box while quickly cleaning up one day, but did not realize they were under the winter stuff.

Keep encouraged.
Thanks for the encouragement! I remain stubbornly optimistic! We spend the winter in the Rio Grande Valley, away from the likely hiding spot up north, so I'm letting my optimism ferment and hopefully the pipe will appear next summer.

Top Bottom