What's new

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Shaving Soap

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have no idea what Lilac Vegetal smells like.

But that's a great looking puck of soap! Love the color. Lather looks nice, too.:thumbup1:

It smells like gunpowder and raw courage to quote Topgumby, but seriously, it's earthy / peat back tones with a powdery lilac top note. It truly is a great scent.

I'm just going to have to try this Lilac Vegetal stuff...

Inexpensive samples here, so you don't have to buy a whole bottle in case you don't like it.

http://www.clubmanonline.com/cltrsasi.html

Phil, I got a real kick out of this. I will never underestimate you again. EVER.

What a salesman. You have me second guessing myself. And that is how it works:sneaky2:

Maybe you just got one of those skunky plastic bottles before. Try a sample again, or get a bottle and decant it out of the plastic!!

I can feel my heart in my throat. That pic of the soap is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Does the soap smell more like the "vegetal" (as my wife calls it) or the lilac part? Or does it evolve like the AS?

Also, :thumbup1: on the bottle of Royal Violets!

It's actually a little bit of both, but I don't think I'd like it any other way. Without the Vegetal part, the floral would be too feminine, and without the floral, the Vegetal part would just be too much.

The Royal Violets is quite good, and another inexpensive but great masculine floral scent.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Would you be able to take a picture of all ingredients used? I would like to mirror this because the final result looks fantastic. Thanks for all the info and work you put into this.

Thanks

As promised.

Picture 1
The Aztec green clay. A bentonite clay sold at Health Food stores.
Lilac Vegetal (of course)
Glycerin, available at CVS or similar drugstores
Castor Oil, also available at CVS or other fine drug stores.
attachment.php

Picture 2
Soap Dyes (Red, Yellow and Blue) I initially used 10 drops yellow and 8 drops blue, but it was still too blue so I added about 5 more drops yellow to green it up.
Shea Butter and Goats Milk melt and pour soap. Brand name is "LifeofTheParty", it's 32 ounces per package, divided up into approximately 1 ounce squares.
I got both the dyes and the soap at Michaels Crafts Store, but I'm sure most hobby places carry it.
This particular brand of soap helps keep added ingredients in suspension so it doesn't all settle out to the bottom.
attachment.php

Picture 3
The back side of the soap package, where you can see it is divided up into approximately 1 ounce squares. It's just a guide and you'll still need to cut the soap with a knife.
I must note here that I made an error on my original post and said I did approximately 10 ounces of soap, that is not correct.
I've gone back and corrected it to 4 ounces of each type instead of 5 ounces of each type.
Guess I should have counted those squares before I made the original post.
attachment.php

Hope this is all helpful to you guys who want to replicate.

Today I went to perform a rare morning shave, and reached for a monkey pod bowl that holds a milled puck of vintage Williams Luxury soap. While I soaked my brush, I thought I heard a soft voice.

"Veg me, Dan."

I looked around. I was alone in the shave cave. I shrugged it off.

Then, from the side of the counter where sits an Old Spice mug with some well aged, but now scentless Old Spice soap, another voice, slightly louder and more urgent.

"No, Veg me!"

I whirled to face the voice, but all was still, nothing but the sound of the running water from the tap at the sink. I turned the water off, slightly spooked.

From underneath the counter a plaintive, sorrowful sound.

"Please, Veg me!"

I looked down and was stunned to see the cabinet door slightly open, and I peered inside to see a puck of VDH, unused and in reserve, somehow slightly out of place from where I thought I had put it.

It was leaning against my bottle of Lilac Vegetal. I shut the door with my foot, and tried to remain calm as I reached for a Krona that was loaded up with a once used Shark Super Chrome.

I glanced at the bowl containing the old tallowy Williams. There seemed to be a soft green light coming from under the lid. Spellbound I slowly reached for the knob on the lid, driven by a horrified curiosity.

When I removed the lid, the light became a green, Lilac and peat miasma that rose from the puck, boiling up towards the ceiling. Seized by an unutterable terror, I watched with wide eyes as the foul and pleasant smelling cloud formed itself into the shape of a young Hussar, complete with Shako. He smiled at me, but before I could react a hideous change came over the form, and the green flesh dripped of a grinning Hussar skull, shrieking as the miasma withdrew back down into the bowl with the puck. The screaming voice became a mournful wail that I heard through the depths of terror that seemed to hold me like a vice.

"Veg me! Veg the puck!"

And as quickly as that, it was gone. Everything was as it was, but wait!

In the mirror, a laughing image of Cary Grant wearing a naval officer's hat, that faded out before I was sure that I had seen it.

I've got to try making some of that soap before something unusual happens.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Today I went to perform a rare morning shave, and reached for a monkey pod bowl that holds a milled puck of vintage Williams Luxury soap. While I soaked my brush, I thought I heard a soft voice.

"Veg me, Dan."

Then, from the side of the counter where sits an Old Spice mug with some well aged, but now scentless Old Spice soap, another voice, slightly louder and more urgent.

"No, Veg me!"

I whirled to face the voice, but all was still, nothing but the sound of the running water from the tap at the sink. I turned the water off, slightly spooked.

"Please, Veg me!"

I looked down and was stunned to see the cabinet door slightly open, and I peered inside to see a puck of VDH, unused and in reserve, somehow slightly out of place from where I thought I had put it.

It was leaning against my bottle of Lilac Vegetal. I shut the door with my foot, and tried to remain calm as I reached for a Krona that was loaded up with a once used Shark Super Chrome.

I glanced at the bowl containing the old tallowy Williams. There seemed to be a soft green light coming from under the lid. Spellbound I slowly reached for the knob on the lid, driven by a horrified curiosity.

When I removed the lid, the light became a green, Lilac and peat miasma that rose from the puck, boiling up towards the ceiling. Seized by an unutterable terror, I watched with wide eyes as the foul and pleasant smelling cloud formed itself into the shape of a young Hussar, complete with Shako. He smiled at me, but before I could react a hideous change came over the form, and the green flesh dripped of a grinning Hussar skull, shrieking as the miasma withdrew back down into the bowl with the puck. The screaming voice became a mournful wail that I heard through the depths of terror that seemed to hold me like a vice.

"Veg me! Veg the puck!"

In the mirror, a laughing image of Cary Grant wearing a naval officer's hat, that faded out before I was sure that I had seen it.

You gotta warn us before you make these posts so we can make popcorn!!!

:thumbup1: :thumbup: :lol:

Fortunately (or unfortunately as your perspective dictates) there is no antidote. :w00t:
Then we are all doomed (or saved) as your perspective dictates. :laugh:

But seriously: An excellent application of ingenuity, perspicacity, and good old Yankee tinkering.

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

I'm an LV hater, though I do still use it from time to time, and I am actually impressed. You should consider selling this soap.

I hate to go all Pat Robertson on you, but the words "Veg me" that come pleading out of the medicine cabinet strike me as the very nadir of moral depravity. That sir, is obscene! And God help me for loving every minute of this thread!

How is the double tap of LV working? I'm wondering about the consequences of prolonged use of both the soap and the splash. It must be incredible. Transformational.

There are no limits to the possibilities here. Prepping with a hot towel soaked in LV infused water? Perhaps Castle Forbes preshave amended with concentrated LV? LV-thickened pomade? We can really never look at the world the same way again.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How is the double tap of LV working? I'm wondering about the consequences of prolonged use of both the soap and the splash. It must be incredible. Transformational.

There are no limits to the possibilities here. Prepping with a hot towel soaked in LV infused water? Perhaps Castle Forbes preshave amended with concentrated LV? LV-thickened pomade? We can really never look at the world the same way again.

I shaved with it this morning and used the LV as an after shave splash, and I'm quite contented!!

I'll admit that I'm a bit rabid about liking the smell of the LV, but the soap smells great while you're shaving, and it doesn't have the alcohol smell you get when you first toss on the AS.

I feel like Ebeneezer Scrooge on Christmas morning running around and trying to spread the good word!!!

Was with my wife at a Michaels and saw the soap and dye have to look up the other ingredients at my local Walgreens. I have to try this, thanks for the pictures Phil.

I'm just going to have to try this Lilac Vegetal stuff...

Me too! This thread got me off the fence, I should have some Veg by end of next week!

Another one bites the dust. :w00t:

:001_unsur:001_unsur

"Veg me, Dan."

"No, Veg me!"

"Please, Veg me!"

"Veg me! Veg the puck!"

This made my day! Thanks Phil et al. as usual you all can be counted on to interupt my tea with a case of the giggles.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Excellent idea! Who would we cast in the lead? Cary Grant? Clark Gable? Pee Wee Herman?

How about Jonathan Frakes?

He played Riker on Star Trek The Next Generation.

After all, Captain Picard ALWAYS referred to him as No. 1

:lol: :lol:

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.....

Top Bottom