What's new

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Shaving Soap

Obviously someone who has never smelled "The Veg" :lol: :lol:

The Veg isn't just a Lilac Scent - it is, but it is also so much more.
Whether you are a fan and have been chosen by the Veg, or you hate it and have been soundly spanked by the hand of rejection -

We can all agree that there isn't anything out there as unusual and off the beaten path as Lilac Vegetal.

But it IS Lilac Vegetal soap! Authentic Pinaud Lilac Vegetal kit with aftershave, talc, cologne, and brilliantine!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Okay, so I tried to make a bit of lather today and it did not go according to plan (what does? really? :glare:)

Anyways, I added half my glycerin unscented soap bar. It's some kind of generic, unscented, glycerin soap that I can find at the grocery store for a $1.50 ($1 on special). I added about 3 tablespoons of Lilac Vegetal that I boiled for a little while in the microwave using 10 seconds shots. I added 1 teaspoon of liquid glycerin (just to be sure).

The soap smells like LV but not as much as the AS. The lather is so-so. It's not bad but it's not great. I will try giving it a test run tomorrow. I think that if I could get my hands on a really good unscented soap, it would do the trick...

Attachments

• $Lilac Soap.JPG
    $Lilac Soap.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 95
  • $Lilac Soap 2.JPG
    $Lilac Soap 2.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 96
  • $Lilac Soap 3.JPG
    $Lilac Soap 3.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 96
Should've used Brambleberry base or a puck of unscented Mama Bears soap as the base, rather than a bath soap. That probably would've worked. Also, when you boiled the LV you probably changed the scent some, as the more volatile notes would evaporate out of the liquid.

Luc

Staff member
Should've used Brambleberry base or a puck of unscented Mama Bears soap as the base, rather than a bath soap. That probably would've worked. Also, when you boiled the LV you probably changed the scent some, as the more volatile notes would evaporate out of the liquid.

Yup, a shave soap was probably a better option. I used some bath soaps that were glycerin base in the past and were a success to be 'labeled' shave soap. As I mentioned, this one wasn't. It's still useable...

And for the scent, well, it smells like LV to me...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yup, a shave soap was probably a better option. I used some bath soaps that were glycerin base in the past and were a success to be 'labeled' shave soap. As I mentioned, this one wasn't. It's still useable...

And for the scent, well, it smells like LV to me...

I put up with less than a great soap if it has that LV smell!!

:lol:

Anyway - these things are just fun to do

Luc

Staff member
Shaved with the Lilac Vegetal shave stick this morning.

Okay, let's do a serious review:
Price: 5
Quality: 2
Scent: 6
Lather: 1
Efficacy: 1
Moisturizing: 1

Overall: 1/10

Okay, it wasn't the cheapest product, if I think about it, price of AS (quantity used), bar of soap and glycerin, this makes it in the average cost (probably $4-$5 a stick). It could be compared to Palmolive shave stick, one of the cheapest product around that goes for less than half that price...

The lather was horrible, it disappeared half way. I was suspecting that but I still had some protection as I did not have any ingrowns or irritation following the shave. The scent was a mild LV.

Overall, I would not buy that product but might make it again if I can find a better soap base. There are some that could be bought that are quite good.

The fun experience was there so it's not all lost!

Luc

Staff member
Luc, have you had any better luck with the soap or have you given up?

I tried it again and to make this experiment successful, I would need to find a better glycerin based soap... I used to have one that I bought from eBay that was good (unscented glycerin) and it lathered well. I could also try to make it myself...

Top Bottom