What's new

Perfect Albums

I have in mind that I really like this album. But I had a look at the track list and there are a bunch that I have no recollection of. I need to do some listening. Certainly Layla, Bell Bottom Blues, and Little Wing are excellent. The best Duane Allman album! :)

But, seriously, what the heck happened to Clapton? This was an excellent album, which to me branchs out from the blues he did so well up until this album. But to me has has down little more than noodle on the guitar for a long time.
Is that the first of his solo albums?

Is that the first of his solo albums?
I was more or less kidding, of course, although Duane's contributions to this album were substantial. He played (slide and lead) on most tracks, although not on my favorite, Bell Bottom Blues. Duane never had a solo album. He did not live long enough, for one thing.

Clapton and, as I recall, Jim Gordon get credit for the true glory of this album. It is interesting how well Eric and Duane got on, particularly given the tensions in Cream.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
For the Layla album or after? I though Clapton after was more heroin, which he kicked, in part by become a massvie alcoholic, either of which would interfer, I would think, with one's ability to create good music. (I do not think it stopped Keith Richards, but according to Mick Jagger it slowed him and the Stones in general way down.)

But I think Clapton has been clean from all of that that stuff for quite a while.
During Layla. I think doing that much coke & then heroin changes you.

During Layla. I think doing that much coke & then heroin changes you.
Gotcha. Maybe if Clapton had stuck with the coke and foregone the heroin and alcohol he would have kept putting out skilled, creative music! Or maybe not. But he wold probably think he was doing that, and would have the energy for it and the interest in doing it. I hate to speak in terms of heroin being a comfort, but it is in a way, methinks. And comfort is the enemy of creativity!

Last edited:
In no particular order... (Part 1)
hunky-dory-e1594846102325.jpg

Sufjan-Stevens_Carrie-Lowell_2015_artwork.jpg

R-1765175-1521909373-4867.jpg

b46ab8d526594ec0aac5c0f8ba61e302.jpg

1082913_1603736151.jpg

R-8481373-1462462455-1462.jpg

740full-the-midnight-organ-fight-cover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

R-9475814-1481319127-1567.jpg

Nada-Surf-–-Let-Go.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I love the above type of "problem":
Is the Gold Standard for performing Rachmaninoff's piano concertos the ones performed with Rachmaninoff himself by the piano ..?
In some sense, they must by definition be "perfect", and yet, the genius of performance is somehow always beyond the composer and composition.
My favorite versions of Rach 3 are not the one with Rachmaninoff playing but Horowitz' second recording of it and the Ashkanazy version in which you get 1-4 plus Rhapsody on a Theme of Pagani. Horowitz' playing is incomparable, but a clear and crisp recording of a very fine orchestra is valuable, too.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
So many more great albums being brought up. I love pretty much anything by the Kinks. I love Blinking Lights and The Band. To those who like big band/jazz/rock of Chicago, I commend The Child is the Father to the Man. I think it is hands down BST's finest work. It helps of course to have Al Kooper, Steve Katz, and the other talent they draw. I also love Holst. Everybody loves Take Five, or should.

Whether an album attains perfection is very much in the ear of the behearer, as Dewey Redman would say.
Familiarity often breeds affection that makes us deaf to the shortcomings of the music.
I like this saying as someone that has no musical talent or knowledge. I just know what I like to listen to, how it makes me feel and what memories it brings back. There have been some great albums mentioned, but not many of them have been metal. I guess I will be the odd ball and mention a few metal albums that I could throw on and listen all the way through.

Metallica: And Justice For All or Master Of Puppets
Tool: Undertow or 10,000 Days

I'll just list those for now and try and think of some more. I love this thread, I really need to venture out of the speakeasy forum more, lol

I like this saying as someone that has no musical talent or knowledge. I just know what I like to listen to, how it makes me feel and what memories it brings back. There have been some great albums mentioned, but not many of them have been metal. I guess I will be the odd ball and mention a few metal albums that I could throw on and listen all the way through.

Metallica: And Justice For All or Master Of Puppets
Tool: Undertow or 10,000 Days

I'll just list those for now and try and think of some more. I love this thread, I really need to venture out of the speakeasy forum more, lol
In a Doom metal thread somewhere on here, I posted about an album called "Dopesmoker" by a band called 'Sleep'. Classic!

Top Bottom