What's new

So Who Here Plays Guitar?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
would love to hear the tone of your amps. Please do post some links!

I will post up some links when I get in front of a pc.

I really do like the Katana 50. For the money it's unbeatable. I haven't fiddled with the settings much, not to the point of hooking it up to my computer, although I've considered it and I do have the time. I just tend to be a "Set It And Forget It" guy and I like the stock settings

I agree. For the money, the Katana 50 or 100 are unbeatable. They work well for practice and gigging. They have lots of authentic boss effects built in. Good attenuation too.

But sometimes money isn't the driving factor. So I have whittled my amp collection down to just a few that do their specific task extremely well.

I am also a set it and forget it guy. But I want to set it myself and get tones tweaked to the way I like them. The hidden katana amp models that are readily available downloads really open things up a lot. And I set all my effects and their parameters. From there, I just use the presets as I have configured them. Same way for the Spark. But when I go jam with another band, or do fill in gigs, I need to tweak things for that gig. So putting a real live pedalboard in front of any of these amps is quite preferable. Especially since I am a pedal builder, and when my tone rocks at a gig, it leads to pedal sales.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Here is one video to get started. It's a collaboration video of Journey's Stone In Love.

This one features the Spark 40 going directly into a laptop (via usb cable) running Cakewalk DAW. Guitar is plugged directly into the Spark. No outboard effects, and no post processing except a little compression. So every tone is directly from the Spark amp. There are several tracks of guitar layered. I think 3 tracks of rhythm and a track or two of solos. But it is all directly from the Spark.

This is a collaboration video featuring some good players distributed far and wide, done remotely through the internet. I did all the video editing and audio mixing. I am not a professional at either of those things. And those Neal Schon riffs are tough. So be easy on the critiques. :)

I think the Spark is a wonderful recording and practice tool. I hope I did a decent job of demonstrating that. Enjoy!

Here is one video to get started. It's a collaboration video of Journey's Stone In Love.

This one features the Spark 40 going directly into a laptop (via usb cable) running Cakewalk DAW. Guitar is plugged directly into the Spark. No outboard effects, and no post processing except a little compression. So every tone is directly from the Spark amp. There are several tracks of guitar layered. I think 3 tracks of rhythm and a track or two of solos. But it is all directly from the Spark.

This is a collaboration video featuring some good players distributed far and wide, done remotely through the internet. I did all the video editing and audio mixing. I am not a professional at either of those things. And those Neal Schon riffs are tough. So be easy on the critiques. :)

I think the Spark is a wonderful recording and practice tool. I hope I did a decent job of demonstrating that. Enjoy!

Thank you! I'm going to watch it a little later on my nice big TV.
Btw, I love this song and I happen to think Neal Schon's solo in this song is one of the best I've ever heard.

EDIT: Just watched it. Outstanding! Very nice job ... all of it. You're light years beyond me, although I've attempted to get that solo down. Color me impressed. :punk::punk:

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just watched it. Outstanding! Very nice job ... all of it. You're light years beyond me, although I've attempted to get that solo down. Color me impressed. :punk::punk:
Thank you for the kind words. I had a lot of help with that video. The other players and the singer were fantastic. The singer even played all the keyboards, but didnt record a video of that. Talented guys.

But, as you can see, the Spark Amp did a great job. I downloaded a patch called "Modern Stone", which was apparently modeled after Neal's tone on this song, and tweaked it a bit to my preference. The second rhythm guitar track was one of the JCM800 patches i modded. Some great rock tones there. I dont remember what patch I used for the solo. The Spark amp really punches well above its weight class.

I will post some more later.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve played off and on for several years and have a couple of Martins. I played with a couple of guys every Sunday for a few years but they played Blue Grass which I don’t care for and I played rhythm. Since I moved here two and a half years ago, I haven’t played but I have a friend who is going to work with me on some Robert Johnson and other blues which I like. I’ll see how it goes.

Thank you for the kind words. I had a lot of help with that video. The other players and the singer were fantastic. The singer even played all the keyboards, but didnt record a video of that. Talented guys.

But, as you can see, the Spark Amp did a great job. I downloaded a patch called "Modern Stone", which was apparently modeled after Neal's tone on this song, and tweaked it a bit to my preference. The second rhythm guitar track was one of the JCM800 patches i modded. Some great rock tones there. I dont remember what patch I used for the solo. The Spark amp really punches well above its weight class.

I will post some more later.
The Spark is indeed impressive.
Thanks again for posting that. I really enjoyed it. And you and your buddies are indeed talented!

I used to play but lost my heart and desire to a few years ago. I had inherited my grandmothers, yes you read that right, grandmother's 1953 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top. That had made me want to learn. Some miserable, no good, worthless, halfwitted.... *takes a breath* sorry. Some dirtbag broke in and stole it along with the original amp. After that I never really cared to play again. I still have a 12 string Yamaha, but the case hasnt even been opened in over 10 years.

I used to play but lost my heart and desire to a few years ago. I had inherited my grandmothers, yes you read that right, grandmother's 1953 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top. That had made me want to learn. Some miserable, no good, worthless, halfwitted.... *takes a breath* sorry. Some dirtbag broke in and stole it along with the original amp. After that I never really cared to play again. I still have a 12 string Yamaha, but the case hasnt even been opened in over 10 years.
I can't say I blame you. Anyone who would steal that ... ummmm ... I would have special treatment for them. And it wouldn't be a handshake.

Picked up the dusty acoustic the other night and haven’t put it down after a couple decades. Great thread for helping with my new squirrel chase!

@BradWorld wow man, that was a killer watch, thank you!

FYI, 20 year old steel strings on soft fingers just might be more effective than water boarding?🫣

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Picked up the dusty acoustic the other night and haven’t put it down after a couple decades. Great thread for helping with my new squirrel chase!

@BradWorld wow man, that was a killer watch, thank you!

FYI, 20 year old steel strings on soft fingers just might be more effective than water boarding?🫣
Thank you! And it’s never too late to pick it back up. Your fingers will toughen up pretty quick if you keep at it. Enjoy!

What a fun discussion. I played consistently in my youth on an Ibanez acoustic electric with my church worship band and some friends in high school. After the good lord and I had a falling out I lost my desire to play and sold the guitar. I recently bought a well cared for Fender Acoustisonic Telecaster with a headphone/bluetooth amp. Both of my kiddos, 6 and 8, are really starting to get into music so I've been learning the basic chord progressions for their favorite songs so we can have sing a longs. It's been fun.

What a fun discussion. I played consistently in my youth on an Ibanez acoustic electric with my church worship band and some friends in high school. After the good lord and I had a falling out I lost my desire to play and sold the guitar. I recently bought a well cared for Fender Acoustisonic Telecaster with a headphone/bluetooth amp. Both of my kiddos, 6 and 8, are really starting to get into music so I've been learning the basic chord progressions for their favorite songs so we can have sing a longs. It's been fun.
How cool is that?! 🎸

I haven’t been really playing bass at all since COVID and my old bandmates are dragging me kicking and screaming back into it.

Man, new bass strings on my baby butt soft fingers are not fun!

It looks like I will be back into doing a couple gigs a month starting in April-ish. I whine and complain (just lazy and bored!), but it will be a blast once I get back into it. 🤟

Bought my first guitar recently, about a week ago, Samick d5.

Played a little when I was younger, but became guitar illiterate.

Now I’m practicing and playing casually with the guy that owns the local guitar store.
Enjoy the journey! I'll never be Eric Clapton but I can sometimes surprise myself a little bit. And those moments are worth all the time I've put into it. :smile1:

I haven’t been really playing bass at all since COVID and my old bandmates are dragging me kicking and screaming back into it.

Man, new bass strings on my baby butt soft fingers are not fun!

It looks like I will be back into doing a couple gigs a month starting in April-ish. I whine and complain (just lazy and bored!), but it will be a blast once I get back into it. 🤟
🤘 🤘 🤘

Alright a gents, I’m hooked and have a million questions but I’ll stick with this one:
If I want to do basic loops and play only to headphones for now, any budget suggestions for what’s needed? I already have the headphones and will be picking up an electric guitar.

I have checked out the iRig2 and then got excited with looping. Maybe a multi effects pedal will do it all? Much appreciate yous folks!

Alright a gents, I’m hooked and have a million questions but I’ll stick with this one:
If I want to do basic loops and play only to headphones for now, any budget suggestions for what’s needed? I already have the headphones and will be picking up an electric guitar.

I have checked out the iRig2 and then got excited with looping. Maybe a multi effects pedal will do it all? Much appreciate yous folks!
I play through my amp (Boss Katana 50) with the headphones plugged in so I don't blow out my neighbors. I have a TC Electronic looper pedal that's fantastic once you get the hang of it (timing is everything!). I think it was $60 when I bought it but it's undoubtedly more now.
I hope that helps.

Long story short, I won’t be able to utilize amp do to noise restrictions for next 4 months thus thinking headphones. Being I do not own an amp yet, wondering if less expensive route? I read of some successes yet many fails with this setup.
Guitar > Loop Pedal > iRig 2 > iPhone> Headphone out

Top Bottom