What's new

One-pass shave?

I do WTG and XTG x2 with buffing using a Razorock Mentor. I got a DFS bordering on BBS this morning with no irritation. That's more than good enough for me.

Last edited:
today one pass WTG then touchup.
The Feather system is simply amazing, both sharp and gentle.
Of course, a shot of bourbon helped a bit!

proxy.php

My regular shave is one pass with some minor touch-ups. It's enough to keep me looking presentable for the day, without causing bumps, ingrowns, etc.

One pass perfect? Nope. 1+touch up =pretty darn good. For bbs? Probably need two full passes. 3 or more just causes irritation for me. Not worth the trade off.

My regular shave is one pass with some minor touch-ups. It's enough to keep me looking presentable for the day, without causing bumps, ingrowns, etc.

This is me. Once or twice a week I may go two full passes, but rarely more. I don't feel like the trade off of closer vs irritation is worth it.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only time I do a single ATG is when it's my second shave of the day (i.e., expecting a long night after an early morning shave) or I'm doing an early morning shave after a late evening one the night before. Either way, I'm pretty much dealing with less growth than a normal, daily shave.

Three passes for me WTG, XTG, ATG, and then some some touch up on my neck. I guess I could do a one pass shave in a hurry, but I wouldn't be satisfied with the result.
Same here. I've tried one pass and I initially thought it was ok. Spent most of the day regretting the decision..irritated feeling stubble all day long. Better for me to skip that day's shave altogether than to have a shave not last the entire day.

What if you get a BBS one day and then every day afterward you do one pass? Would that effect the closeness at all?
I considered this, but quickly filed thus under "seemed like a good idea at the time". I don't know why...maybe it's a psychological thing...but my face demands the same attention daily regardless of how close I shaved the day before.

I've noticed quite a few of the exclusive straight users say they often get there in one pass. With sharp blades in a NEW LC I can get by with 2 passes and touch up. I'm curious to try an aggressive SE or a slant to maybe get a DFS with one pass. Or maybe even a no guard DE.

For me:
1 pass = SAS
2 pass = CCS
3 pass = DFS/BBS
Perfection = BBS with no irritation

I only shave every other day, and the 3 pass is my preference.
2 pass if I know I will be shaving the next day and don't have time for the 3rd pass.
1 pass I usually regret as there are areas that still feel quite rough. Option when there is no time but need to look presentable.

For me also, a single pass daily is the norm. I'm usually in too much of a hurry to get out the door to worry much beyond "Am I presentable?". Now if the missus and I are home at the same time (usually just on the weekends), then I'll worry a bit more about how close the shave is.

Any time you put a knife to your skin your going to irritate it. It is not a natural act, sort of like stepping out of a perfectly good airplane. So let's enjoy the ride. :001_smile

With either my R41 or the ATT H1 or H2 I could get a pretty decent shave with a single pass. For me that's fine, but I do generally go with "two passes and done". Rinse. Splash on the aftershave.

I don't obsess over whether it's BBS or DFS - I really don't see the point in it as it's something that only lasts a few hours and I'll be shaving again in 24 hrs. A CCS or DFS is quite acceptable for me. I enjoy the shave, never have even the slightest irritation, etc.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If I do one pass, my face feels like there is still too much stubble. So I do at least two. I can get a solid CCS to DFS on two passes. Often times I'll do three passes. I get a minimum of a strong DFS to full BBS on three passes. I will sometimes do some extra touch up and/or buffing after my last pass, but that is rare. I have a sensitive lower neck area, so I am careful to just do a quality 2 or 3 pass shave and leave it at that.

My routine (after a couple of years of experimentation and face study) is this:
Pass 1: north-south face, south-north neck ... Both WTG
Pass 2: ear-nose face, north-south neck ... Both somewhat XTG
Optional Pass 3: south-north face ATG, ear-adams apple upper neck ATG, north-south lower neck XTG

A 3-pass shave in standard directions - down, up, and across - was my first DE shave. The result was a smoothess I had not felt on the face since pre-bearded days. Since then, I've modified the technique to get all-over BBS each time. One pass down, one up. Then, AGT of a carefully mapped growth, followed by more AGT buffing in the tough spots. It may be the light touch, the frequent re-lathering, or dumb luck, but I have been mostly free of irritation.

Top Bottom