What's new

One-pass shave?

Now that I've turned shaving from drudge work into joy, I would feel deprived if I only could get one pass in. For me, it's one pass WTG, one ATG and one XTG. Art's great joy is in the process, not the completion.

One pass usually still leaves me soundly within 5 o'clock shadow territory. A second will get me close to DFS, while a third ensures it. A 4th is required for BBS.

de shave: 3 pass + touch ups
sr shave: 2 pass (no against the grain pass) + touch ups.
sr shaving is quicker for me than de. but the before & after care of straight razor is longer process.

Like others have said, it's possible to get a pretty good shave in 1 pass, but I have yet to ever experience "perfection". The closest I've ever come, by far, is with the R41, 2011 version.

New user here, but I have been wetshaving for a while now. I always do a one pass shave with a touchup if necessary. I can most of the time get a BBS by doing a one pass WTG on the upper lip, cheek, and neck, but a XTG on the cheek bone. This is a necessity for me because I always get irritation on a two or three pass shave regardless of proper technique, prep, etc. I suppose I just don't have a very thick layer of skin on my face. I use a Edwin Jagger pure badger, DE89LBL with Astra blades, Geo F Trumper's Rose, and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Last edited:
If you like the result after a single pass shave, then it's one pass perfection for you.

I sometimes do a one pass shave when I work from home. When I visit customers, I at least do two passes.

Here one pass combinated XTG/ATG, using Mach 3, every day shaving, tough beard. With little touch-ups and a good prep I get an almost BBS every time. I don't need more...

+1 for this. Very well stated.

One pass perfection is an oxymoronic expression.

A one pass shave can be done, but it won't be perfection. The ideal shave includes at least two passes that cover the entire shaving area WTG and XTG. Some like to go further and add a third pass ATG, or partially ATG.

P.S. I always do two passes plus some touch-ups.

Three passes for me WTG, XTG, ATG, and then some some touch up on my neck. I guess I could do a one pass shave in a hurry, but I wouldn't be satisfied with the result.

I might be out on a limb, but one pass could never be perfect simply because it would remove the enjoyment.
Every post on here, probably including the OP, assumes perfection is simply the removal of all the hair from ones face, which is only a temporary state.
Sounds like reading a one page book to me - but perhaps I am wrong.

The only way I really think you could get a really good close shave in one pass would be one pass ATG. And you'd have to have tough skin.

Top Bottom