What's new

OK Here we Go...The NHL's 1st-round playoff matchups for the 2012 Stanley Cup!!!

Way too much goonery on the ice. Mostly from the Penguins, but both teams were guilty. It made for exciting hockey, but some of that stuff was inexcusable. Arron Asham needs a big suspension for that ridiculous crosscheck. This postseason has been particularly nasty!

Asham and Neal. Neal's flying check into Couturier was completely unnecessary, and then he followed it with a blatant elbow to Giroux's head (who looked woozy the rest of the game).

Pittsburgh's hypocritical act is getting old, at least to me.

I was a bit surprised that Hagelin (no prior history) got three games for his hit on Alfredsson (who might be playing tonight) while Carkner only got one for jumping Boyle while having a prior history of doing the same. They were two very different penalties, but Shanahan's rulings still seemed a bit inconsistent. I'll withhold any more judgement until we learn what happens to Asham and Neal. I feel like the nastiness might calm down a bit after The Penguins and Flyers do their thing.

Also add Craig Adams to that list for punching Hartnell in the back of the head repeatedly in an incident in front of the bench.

Length of games in these suspensions shouldn't matter anyway though, as the Penguins will be busy booking tee times Wednesday morning

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Out on the west coast, we have "probable favourite" Vancouver going down 0-3 where goals are scarcer than conciliatory politicians, and on the east coast we have quasi-favourite Pittsburgh going down 0-3 in games where, apparently, both teems pulled their goalies for an extra attacker halfway through the first period.

... but Kimmo is old and tame and usually pretty classy. He's not a fighter and has never been.

Sort of how I felt when Daniel Alfredsson got head-hunted the other night.

i said wings were out in 5 before the series even started. unfortunately,,, i see nothing to change my mind.
finals prediction for me would be - blues vs. flyers. outcome of that match up?? anyone's guess. who ever wants it more?
never was a big flyers fan, but they are growing on me like a bad rash.
dream match up??? easy. wings/bruins. and im still waiting.
trivia..... name the last time a cup finals was played between two original six teams. the year, the two teams, and the outcome of the series.....................go.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The last one that springs to mind is 1979 ... Habs beat Rangers (iirc, 4-1)

... then some Islanders and Oilers (Habs won '86 but against Flames), then Penguins ... Habs '93 was Kings ... Rangers '94 was Canucks ... Then a bunch of Redwings, but I don't think the Bruins, Habs or Rangers were there ... Blackhawks beat the Penguins ...

...yeah, probably 1979.

Last edited:
Yay Playoffs ... ¬_¬ ... I'm a Leafs fan, so you can imagine how I feel at the moment.

My fiance is from New England, so I root for Boston because he does and there's nothing for me to be excited about. I live just across the border from Detroit, and I'd root for the Wings, but nothing to be excited about there either.

As long as the Pens or Canucks don't win, I could care less who takes the cup.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Cheap hit by Torres (he left his feet!!!), and ALL the officials on the ice saw nothing. :a31:

proxy.php
"The cats (referees and linesmen), with gloves on...catches no mice (players the should be penalized)".

Last edited by a moderator:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Coyotes' Raffi Torres suspended for Hossa hit!!!

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer–1 hour ago
CHICAGO (AP) — "The NHL suspended Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres indefinitely [way to go Brendan Shanahan...:thumbsup:], on Wednesday for knocking Chicago's Marian Hossa out of the game — and maybe the playoffs — with a shoulder blow to the head.

Hossa won't play in Game 4 on Thursday with the Coyotes leading the series 2-1. He was at home resting, exchanging texts with his Blackhawks teammates less than 24 hours after he was carried off the ice on a stretcher and taken to a hospital. The hard knock by Torres was the latest in a first round that has been dominated by brawls and violent hits. The NHL scheduled a Friday hearing in New York for a player who has a reputation for big — and some say dirty — hits.

Depending on the locker room, the severity of the blow — one year after Torres did the same thing to Chicago's Brent Seabrook while playing for Vancouver — differed and took the spotlight from a competitive first-round matchup that has seen all three games go to overtime. "I've seen a lot of other hits like it in the league. It's a fast game," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said Wednesday. "The thing about TV is you can slow it down and you can click and click and click it. When you're out there on the ice, it's not slowed down and click, click, click. It's a fast game.'

"I don't think there was any malicious intent on Raffi's part," he added. "He's a hard hitter. That's the way he plays the game. He turned, coming full speed, caught a guy right in the chest. Unfortunately, the player was injured." Torres' skates were off the ice as he hit Hossa and sent Chicago's regular-season points leader crashing to the ice in the first period. Hossa had just passed the puck when he was hit. "There's only been one dirty hit in our series and you saw the same thing from that guy last year in the same series," Chicago's Patrick Sharp said. "You know it's coming. You try to warn your linemates and be aware when he's on the ice. He's got a history of targeting guys' heads and having questionable hits. It makes it that much more frustrating to see it happen, but we got to rally behind Hoss."

Chicago coach Joel Quenneville reiterated that the hit on Hossa was "brutal." He said there was little change in Hossa's condition without being specific, but said he was definitely out for Thursday's game. Asked if Hossa's injury was long-term, Quenneville said: "We'll see." Hossa went to a hospital for tests Tuesday night before he was taken home. A team doctor said a full recovery is expected but there is no timetable. Torres, who wasn't available Wednesday, spoke after the game and said: "I felt like it was a hockey play. I was just trying to finish my hit out there." The Blackhawks weren't buying it.

"In the history of the game, hitting is used to dislodge a player from the puck, not the intent to injure when you don't have the puck because you aren't aware. To me, that wasn't a hockey play," Blackhawks forward Andrew Brunette said. "When you don't have the puck, there shouldn't be that kind of contact."

The Coyotes were unhappy when Chicago rookie Andrew Shaw collided with goalie Mike Smith behind the net in Game 2 and knocked him to the ice. Smith was able to stay in the game and Shaw got a game misconduct. On Tuesday, he was suspended for three games. Torres was NOT penalized for his hit on Hossa right in front of the benches. Quenneville said after the game that the refereeing was "a disgrace."

Quenneville said the Blackhawks were still angry Wednesday and hoped to channel that into a better performance Thursday. They've taken the first lead in all three games and were up 1-0 midway through the final period Tuesday night before a 65-second span of 4-on-4 led to three goals — two by Phoenix. Coyotes veteran Ray Whitney said he understood how the Blackhawks felt.

"We would probably be equally upset if our guy was knocked out of the game like that. That's unfortunate that he got injured. We certainly don't want to see that," Whitney said. "I can understand their frustration, as they can probably understand ours when our most valuable player (Smith) gets hit in the jaw. ...You don't want to see anybody in our league get injured. I can understand the frustration, and I can understand the league's going to handle it the way they have to handle it."

According to the league, the hearing was planned for Wednesday but moved to Friday at the request of Torres and the players' union. "It's out of our hands," Tippett said. "Now it's in their hands. We'll deal with it as further stuff comes down from them."

NHL Suspends Torres

proxy.php
Hockey...The Coolest Game on Earth!!!

so was the 10-3 Drubbing the Pens put to the Flyers a sign that they have figured it out or was it a flash in the pan and pens go home tonight?

As for the Torres hit. I am going to go against the grain here a bit. Did it look that much different then many of Scott Stevens hits in the past? Yes he left his feet, but it was not like it was a flying body slam. Stevens had a similar style of exploding up through people and that is what this looked like to me.

And before anyone asks I am a Maple Leafs fan too. so have no vested interested in any outcomes yet again. Well maybe would like to see the Canucks go down in a ball of flames. But that is it

Hossa being out killed the Hawks. We just couldn't finish. Oh well fun season all and all. Just wait for the NHL Playoff 2013 thread, we will be all over it.

Strange playoffs so far.

It could be: Yotes, Kings, Blues, Sens, Panthers, Caps, Flyers, Preds in round two.

Who would have had the Yotes, Kings, Blues, Sens, and Panthers going to round 2 of the playoffs even at mid-season this year? Not me!

I will feel a great deal of pain if the Bruins can't close out the Caps...and I'll feel lots of joy if the Sens can oust the Rangers!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A lot of "the best" teams in the league didn't make it out of the first round, or had a lot of trouble ... it'll be interesting to see which of them shake things up over the summer, and how much.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, the Bett signal is up in the sky over 'tronna .. deep inside, who wins when the Canucks, Hawks, Pens, Wings are already gone?

Tough choice, as the only Canadian team still in goes against the home of hype, the big apple .. then Beantown versus the country's Capital team ..

Figure that somehow in the east da Broons end up against the Sens

It might be the marketing pukes nightmare, but how about St. Louis v Nashville in the finals? Followed by Florida hockey

Well at least Thomas doesn't have to worry about going to visit the white house this year. He'll be joining Luongo with the 'netminder up for grabs'

Top Bottom