What's new

Not your average Lilac Vegetal thread

Rat: Do VEG enables count for double points LOL?

I think it's safe to say that the wormhole, for trying to figure this out, is rather large. I'm very much looking forward to trying to make some sense out of it.

Some months ago, in another LV thread, I put forth the hypothesis that there is a nostalgic factor for those of us who can recall the days of traditional barbershops.

With one whiff of Lilac Vegetal we are immediately transported back in time to those halcyon days of the barber shop of our youth with it's spinning barber pole out front. The red and white chair with a strop hanging from it's side, the counter filled with mysterious and colorful vials of hair tonics and aftershaves, old timers languishing behind newspapers discussing race results or sports events, the smell of exotic scents mixed with tobacco smoke and well worn leather, and the barber in his short white smock standing in a pool of hair, scissors happily beating a staccato tattoo, plying a useful trade while presiding over his manly domain.

Those of us unfortunate to have grown up in the era of "unisex hair styling salons" cannot relate to the mystique of a traditional barbershop as it exists outside of their concept of reality. Therefore, in resentment they feel compelled to revile that which we hold dear. It's easy to hate that which you cannot have.

I love this! I just discovered the thread and am subscribed. I not only share those generational thoughts but I have and use my grandfather's Veg (glass bottle). I don't know how to date the bottle but it was unopened and later given to me after he died in the early 80's. I use it sparingly and will always display the bottle when the Veg is gone.

AND you can always leave a little bit in before refilling it, thus assuring there will always be a little bit of your grandfather's veg left for posterity.

You can always refill it and keep on using it. I found an old VEG bottle in the wild, I used a large syringe to fill it up. When it's gone I'll repeat the process.:thumbup:

I have refilled this relic hundreds of times over the past 30 or so years:

$LV1.jpg

$LV2.jpg

I don't know if luvmysuper intended but this thread is in perfect timing with the blooms on my lilac bush in my yard!

I can't help but wonder if certain colognes and aftershaves can become light struck (skunky), and if certain scents, The Veg in this case, might be more prone to this. Keeping light out is the reason that many beers are in brown bottles and closed boxes. Corona Extra seems as though it's nearly always skunked to some degree due to the clear bottle, while Corona Familial (same brew, different size) rarely is due to the brown bottle.

Maybe avoiding The Veg on the front of the shelf is key... :Veg:

Top Bottom