What's new

Newbie to forum and DE shaving

Hi Everyone,

Newbie checking-in after, 31 and just starting on my DE journey (this is week two). I am currently having to work from home due to Covid-19 and thought I would try to learn a new skill. I have therefore started to learn to shave with a DE razor (I was previously shaving with an electric razor but often got razor burn and ingrown hairs).

Week one did not go so well...Day one was fine, I did a single pass WTG and left it at that (it took me a while to prep, organise blade, cream, etc). Shave 2 (I only shave every second day so day 3) did not go well. The first pass WTG was ok, couple nicks but overall fine, then I attempted XTG and ended up with quite a few cuts and razor burn on my neck. I think I just got a bit too confident and hadn't properly figured out pressure and angle. So after shave 2, I started looking on line more and from lurking on posts here I was drawn to Mantic's youtube videos. After that I have decided to take it slow and do 3 weeks of three passes WTG as one of his videos suggests until I improve my technique. Week 1 shave 3 and week 2 shave 1 have gone much better doing this.

Setup is:
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86
Blades: Wilkinson Sword Classics
Brush: Edwin Jagger 286 synthetic silver tip
Bowl: Stef Baxter Handmade Blue Stoneware Shaving Lathering Bowl

Preshave Oil: Nuage Shaving Oil (not sure how much difference this makes)
Shaving Cream: The Real Shaving Company Age Defence
After shave lotion: Clinique for Men (after a TOB styptic pencil if needed)
Moisturizer: Jack Black double-duty

Looking forward to progressing with DE shaving and learning from this forum. I am already holding myself back on buying more creams, soaps, brushes and blades!

Thanks,
Abz88

Welcome aboard. Sorry for the slow time at work but at least you are using the time to learn about traditional shaving. I’ve only been here a little while, even though I was DE shaving for years. The folks on this community are really helpful and my shaving is much improved. Take your time with your shaves, let the weight of the razor do the work...no pressure. Your technique will improve, it’s a skill and takes a little time. Ask questions if you have them, the smart folks will offer all sorts of tips and tricks. Your questions and the answers will help a lot of people with similar challenges. Have fun and enjoy your shaves.

Top Bottom