What's new

Newbie looking for Razor guidence

I would suggest that you start out with a Muhle R41 equipped with Feather blades. Follow this up with Captain's Choice Cat of Nine Tails aftershave. Lol, I love messing things up.

Last edited:
My vote: Merkur 34c for a razor in current production. A Gillette Superspeed or Tech in the vintage category.

Good Luck!

Hello all;

I hope this is the right place for this thread and if not, please feel free to relocate it.

I am starting to research into DE razors and planning make the switch over and am a little overwhelmed by the number of different razors that are out there (forget about the blade choices). From what I have read Merkur and Edwin Jagger both make a great "starter" razor, but I have also come across "house brands" from the likes of Fendrihan and Razorock and have no idea how they compare to the name brands.

I guess I am open to any opinions, guidance and even suggestions for things I may have not yet noticed.

Thank you all
David

Everybody here has given you great suggestions. Unfortunately, that probably leads to you feeling even more overwhelmed just because there really are so many different options available. No matter what you decide on, take your time with prep & when shaving & most importantly - do not press the razor to your face. If you think you may be using too much pressure, you probably are.

My recommendation? Look at the Dorco Pl-602 and the Merkur closed comb head, 3 piece varieties. The Dorco is very affordable and good for a new DE shaver - it's really light weight though. What's nice about Merkur, aside from the forgiving shave, is the varieties of handles - short and heavy, short and light, long and heavy, etc. All of the companies you reference will sell you a good product. Best of luck.

Merkur 34C and some Astra blades are an inexpensive way to get the tools you need while also providing significantly above average performance.

I started DE shaving with a Gillette Tech ($5 !), and used it and two other vintage Gillettes for a while.

But after I got a DE89, the vintage razors just sat and gathered dust. It's a really nice razor. Not cheap, but a very nice feel in the hand, and on the face.

I agree with others -- pick up a blade sampler. Tastes vary. It took me a while to figure out how to use a Feather blade, and not get cut.

And remember:

. . . with a sharp blade, you want _no pressure_ against your skin.

. Charles

I find that a Tech and an EJ89 provide a very similar shave. The Tech will likely cost you less, and last longer if you get an older version that is made out of brass. If you do get an EJ89, I recommend one with knurling on the handle. I find that mine (EJ89lbl) is somewhat challenging to grip when wet.

If you were already considering going now the Razorock route, they are running a promo on first time orders. Buy a RR soap, spend at least $25, and they'll give you one of their new mild razors (pot metal head, I don' t know what the handle is made out of) while supplies last.

You can see a chart of razors ranked by aggressiveness on the wiki.

There are many different schools of advice. Some people say to start mild, some in the middle, and others think aggressive is the way to go. I think mild might be the safe route. It'll give you time to learn proper lathering and technique before you try something that could cause serious razor burn or nicks. Lathering is important. I personally recommend to try lathering a few times with your current razor until you feel you've got a good idea. Then, add the new razor into the routine.

Blades are the ultimate YMMV item. Get a decent blade sampler that includes at least 2-3 of each blade. Your technique will improve greatly in the beginning, so your early impressions of blades might not be accurate. You'll want to revisit different blades to see if it was the blade or just technique.

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. There really is a lot to consider, and to be honest I had not even given vintage any thought. That being said, I now have a superspeed headed my way (thanks to a member here!) and am starting to look at blade sample packs. I will probably also still pick up a modern razor as well and this may well mark the start of my collection. I am well aware to work with one at a time until I get my technique right.

Now I am off to decide what size of a sample pack to get being I have found them ranging from 20 to 130 blades........

David

You already know better than anyone else the kind of razor to begin with for wet shaving - because the really important things about your shave satisfaction are unique to you. Is your skin sensitive or are you pretty tough? Does your beard grow out thick or just very light? Are you bothered by ingrown hairs or dry skin after shaving? I recommend that you ponder such things as that before you try to decide on the RAZOR. Think about whether your razor should be mild or aggressive - then about the wide variety of blade ranging from sharp to smooth.
If you have thick facial hair, the conventional wisdom is to use an aggressive razor. But the aggressive razor will more likely leave your sensitive skin irritated. So you select a blade that has characteristics more smooth than sharp. Once you get started, there will be a bit of trial and error, of course!
I think you'd get more specifically helpful hints if you start out with something like "I have a thick beard and sensitive skin - what razor do you recommend?"
Good luck!!

Since I started DE shaving I've converted my brother and three mates to being DE shavers as well by giving them their first DE razor. My brother got my first razor which was a Merkur 34C. Two mates got EJ DE86s and a third mate got a 1940s Gillette Tech. They are all happy with them, which makes me think it's not too important which one you start with.

Merkur 34C
Edwin Jagger DE86 (heads are all the same, only the handles are different and Muhle R89 is the same head too)
Vintage Gillette Tech

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three above. Invest in a good quality brush that will last you a long time, get a blade sampler pack and try different blades until you find one that suits you and your razor. Try a few different soaps/creams.

It takes a while to unlearn the bad habits of cartridge shaving but it just keeps getting better and better.

Top Bottom