What's new

New Toy! (MASAMUNE)

I ordered some Shave Secret to see what all the hubbub is about. But think I'd miss the bowl lathering, scents and zen ritual of shaving.
Hi IdlatherShave,
I'm not recommending it for others, necessarily. I have fairly unusual needs and it just works for me. I tried the lather-in-a-bowl thing and I can see why people like that. I could live with it too, it's just that the oil is easier on my face and leaves my skin feeling better. Your experience might be different.

MtB

I ordered some Shave Secret to see what all the hubbub is about. But think I'd miss the bowl lathering, scents and zen ritual of shaving.
I
If you enjoy taking the time for the lathering ritual it may feel like you’re missing something important. The scent is a mix of menthol and cloves, not something too refined. I like the simplicity of it, the efficiency, and the way it protects my skin. I also like that I see my skin clearly as opposed to cream or lather. Just make sure you keep the face wet

I used seven drops of Shave Secret oil this morning. I'm also experimenting with something truly radical...a one-pass shave. Rebellious! But I look fine, and it's even easier on my skin.

It really is marvelous to a.) enjoy shaving (preposterous notion, for most of my life) and b.) not pay for it with irritated, inflamed, or dry skin later.

I suspect the Masamune will be my razor for the rest of my life, but I shouldn't jump the gun. I'll use it for two or three more months before deciding. It's the strangest thing...it just feels excessively mild while shaving, but then, when I check my face later on, the shave proves to have been quite close.

I'm really very happy with this whole wet shaving thing.

MtB
I think there’s no downside for your skin if you use more drops rather than less, on the contrary the skin will feel more supple, less dry, and softer, and there will be no need for an after shave

Stop it MtB!!! First you talk me into buying it, then you talk me off the ledge, now you are trying to push me over the ledge!!! I'll report back after it comes and I get a use or 2. Do you use the regular or the "Deluxe"? I ordered both to see the difference. Sounds perfect for travel and perhaps camping if the insects done love it.

Stop it MtB!!! First you talk me into buying it, then you talk me off the ledge, now you are trying to push me over the ledge!!! I'll report back after it comes and I get a use or 2. Do you use the regular or the "Deluxe"? I ordered both to see the difference. Sounds perfect for travel and perhaps camping if the insects done love it.
It's only like $4.16 a bottle at Wal-Mart. My local Wegman's has it too but I didn't notice the price.

I'll buy your leftover from you if you don't like it. :thumbup1:

—MtB

masamune-6.jpg

UPDATE: Today (5th shave? I'm losing count) I think I made a beginner mistake. Yesterday's shave was so close that I almost didn't need to shave this morning. And for some reason my whiskers seem to grow a little slower once the weather gets cold. I really debated whether I should shave. The trouble is, though I look fine through the morning on the second day, by evening I am a little scruffy. And I only see people in the evenings.

Why was yesterday's shave so close? Because I tried the Wizamet Super Iridium. One shave and sold? Silly, but that's the way I felt. I just thought, "this is the blade for me." By evening I was researching how to buy preposterous numbers of Wizamets. Which is kinda silly on the basis of one shave. I backed away from the edge of that cliff. I have a tuck of 10 blades and I realized I should work my way through that before getting all enthusiastic.

masamune-5.jpg

So I decided to shave today, but really went at my face, pressing pretty hard. I know that's a no-no, per the standard advice. Managed to draw a touch of blood, even, by being too enthusiastic over my bump, which I'm usually pretty careful about. But the alum block revealed no stinging, even on the bump. The slight bleeding had stopped before I used the alum block.

You can almost not hurt yourself with this shaver. I like that.

masamune-7.jpg

When I finish shaving, I blot the parts dry, and the blade too, and build a little "tent" with the bits so they can air-dry.

Anybody else like Wizamets?

—MtB

Feathers, Nacets and Wizamets are my top 3. With the mild nature of the Masamune, you should try a Kai, they are SLIGHTLY wider (something like .2mm), super sharp. I love the Kai's in my Masamune. I also use them in my Muramasa since the lower settings are a bit mild which also make the upper settings a bit much for me. I only tried the Kai in the Blackbird Ti once, for me that put the combo in the FAFO category. No blood but no bueno.

I too ordered the Deluxe to compare. What did you think of both?

almost as well as the Overlander!
Blasphemy!!! LOL I have 2 Overlanders and all 3 are amazingly smooth and comfortable shavers, I don't think I could rank one above the other. The Overlander is perhaps a bit more efficient but the Masamune has other base plates and Nodachi offerings as well. No wrong choice can be made in these offerings.
MasamuneOverlander.png

Top Bottom