What's new

Open Comb vs. Closed Comb Razors: Blade Longevity and Sharpness Comparison

I've noticed a peculiar trait in open comb razors: they provide a very clean shave, but the blade typically lasts only for about two uses before becoming too dull. I used to just discard the blade and grab a new one. However, I recently wondered: why is it that closed comb razors allow me to use the blade for 5-7 shaves? So, I transferred a blade from a Gillette NEW Long Comb razor into some Gillette Tech clone (I believe I bought it on AliExpress under the name Rimei). Surprisingly, the blade became perfectly sharp, and it seems it will last me for several more shaves.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_210214873.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240211_210214873.MP.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 35
I've noticed a peculiar trait in open comb razors: they provide a very clean shave, but the blade typically lasts only for about two uses before becoming too dull. I used to just discard the blade and grab a new one. However, I recently wondered: why is it that closed comb razors allow me to use the blade for 5-7 shaves? So, I transferred a blade from a Gillette NEW Long Comb razor into some Gillette Tech clone (I believe I bought it on AliExpress under the name Rimei). Surprisingly, the blade became perfectly sharp, and it seems it will last me for several more shaves.
Interesting. I believe that open comb is for when a person has a good amount of stubble that is long it helps the razor to perform better? I could be wrong since I am no expert on that.

I suspect the open comb directs the beard to only parts of the blade. When you put it in a safety, the unused parts of the blade are still sharp.
This doesn't make any sense to me.

I have used safety bar razors and open comb razors interchangeably for 15 years and i have never noticed a difference in how long a blade remains usable.

I suspect the reason has to do with the way the OP uses the razors. Maybe the safety bar helps him to maintain the optimal angle better?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
So, I transferred a blade from a Gillette NEW Long Comb razor into some Gillette Tech clone .... Surprisingly, the blade became perfectly sharp, and it seems it will last me for several more shaves.
Well, the blade must not have been dull before the transfer to your safety bar razor.
You must have been doing something wrong with the New long comb that made it feel dull. Angle?

I've taken a fairly used up blade that seemed dull in a TTO Gillette and eked out another couple of comfortable shaves using one of my slants. Maybe just the added rigidity or the slicing effect was working in my favor.

Hi,

I have been shaving since 1976 with safety bar razors and 1979 with open comb razors. I have never encountered any difference when it comes to blade longevity. I get 15 shaves minimum out of a blade.

I have, however, found that blades last a good 25% longer in a slant bar razor than in any of the non-slanted ones. Again, open v closed comb makes no difference. And, it is pretty easy to see why when it comes to Slants.

Right now, today, I have shave #23 on a Personna Med Prep in a Fasan Double Slant. And, trying to go all 29 days of February 2024 on the one blade.

Stan

Having extensively used both types of heads, I have come to the conclusion that there is very little difference between open and closed comb razor as long as the dimensions of the head are the same.

A lot of qualities that are attributed to open comb razors have IMO more to do with the fact that many open comb heads have a more aggressive blade exposure and blade gap. Just think Mühle R41 vs Mühle R89.
If the dimensions of open and closed comb head are the same, like on the Tatara Masamune Nodachi, there is little difference between the two types of heads, except maybe how the lather is routed around/through the head.

So what you describe could be a consequence of more a aggressive blade exposure and gap that allows the blade to be in a more direct contact with the skin.

Hope this helps… (and keep the faith 🇺🇦).

B.

P.S. What kind of blades are you using these days?
One historical source of blades is probably off limits at the moment, isn’t it?

P.S. What kind of blades are you using these days?
One historical source of blades is probably off limits at the moment, isn’t it?
Personally, I have ceased purchasing any goods of Russian origin since 2014. My favorite blades are the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword, of which I have about two hundred, in addition to a couple of hundred Bic Chromium, some Super-Max, and Lord blades. There are also another two hundred of the terrible Derby Extra blades. I believe I will have enough blades for the next 20-25 years, without a doubt. 😁

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Personally, I have ceased purchasing any goods of Russian origin since 2014. My favorite blades are the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword, of which I have about two hundred, in addition to a couple of hundred Bic Chromium, some Super-Max, and Lord blades. There are also another two hundred of the terrible Derby Extra blades. I believe I will have enough blades for the next 20-25 years, without a doubt. 😁
Lord blades are great!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm a one and done guy.... but I wanted to say "hi"... <eg> evil grin :devil:

As long as a blade stays excellent through 4 passes and touch-ups as necessary.... I'm a happy camper.

I use a blade twice and toss it. I also use an SB or OC plate based on how long since my last shave. (OC for 3 or more days). I'd never know the difference if there was one. I would suggest, however, that if you could tell the difference you've been using the blade for too long.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

I have used safety bar razors and open comb razors interchangeably for 15 years and i have never noticed a difference in how long a blade remains usable.

I suspect the reason has to do with the way the OP uses the razors. Maybe the safety bar helps him to maintain the optimal angle better?
Just an analogy. Think interstate. Toll booths are like an open comb. All the wear is in the lanes. On the other hand, the open sensor zone allows cars to be anywhere in that space.
So when the person commented the blade worked better, when they swapped it from an OC to a safety. The unused sections would extend out just a little further.

Just an analogy. Think interstate. Toll booths are like an open comb. All the wear is in the lanes. On the other hand, the open sensor zone allows cars to be anywhere in that space.
So when the person commented the blade worked better, when they swapped it from an OC to a safety. The unused sections would extend out just a little further.

OC razors don't work that way, though. The open comb is simply another style of guard which is under the blade. The full edge of the blade is able to engage the skin surface, meaning the teeth of the comb do not block access to the blade edge.

So right! My first double edge was a Merkur 1904 open comb. The blade gap was so small that it appeared that there was no gap at all between the blade and the teeth. The Merkur open combs are ridiculously mild.

Top Bottom