What's new

What are your favorite mild yet efficient open comb razors?

I’m seeking suggestions for an open comb razor that is under the 200 mark. Preferably one that isn’t high maintenance and requires a break down and polish after every use because of the polish. Seeking something I can almost effortlessly shave but mows down a beard with ease. If it has high maneuverability, and nimble in tight corners,even better!

Mild but efficient that can mow down a beard? Adding high maneuverability, and nimble in tight corners.
I know none of such and animal on my end. Thou just for me, I can use my R41 has a daily shaver or mow down some serious growth. It is nimble enough of me, all around ..if it was not...I would not use. Done in 1.5 to 2 passes with ease. It has never bit me. I take my time and enjoy the shave. No irritation for me, very close shave,stubble stay away the longest even beating my slants. Some can't handle the blade feel, or can get the right angle right. Sure this is not for many.
I hope you find the right tool for your criteria.
If you have thin, soft, non dense crazy gorilla stubble like me, you maybe able to find something.
Good luck on the hunt..
Wish I was more help..
BFX

Mild but efficient that can mow down a beard? Adding high maneuverability, and nimble in tight corners.
I know none of such and animal on my end. Thou just for me, I can use my R41 has a daily shaver or mow down some serious growth. It is nimble enough of me, all around ..if it was not...I would not use. Done in 1.5 to 2 passes with ease. It has never bit me. I take my time and enjoy the shave. No irritation for me, very close shave,stubble stay away the longest even beating my slants. Some can't handle the blade feel, or can get the right angle right. Sure this is not for many.
I hope you find the right tool for your criteria.
If you have thin, soft, non dense crazy gorilla stubble like me, you maybe able to find something.
Good luck on the hunt..
Wish I was more help..
BFX
Id wager the r41 too aggressive from my past experience.

Good to see one of my favourite razors getting a few recommendations, the NEW LC is a wonderful razor but there's no way I would call it mild! It's my choice of razor for 5 days worth of growth, but I couldn't use my one for daily shaves.

YMMV as ever though.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I only have one open comb and I can't say it gets used much. Among my ATT collection are and M1 (to mild for a BBS for me, but a lovely mild razor - I saved it for one of the grandchildren) and the M2 OC - nothing like the M1 for me. It's Considerably more aggressive than the M1.

Yaqi Bohemia (very mild, but exxxxtremely efficient - elas also bulky)

Parker Variant open comb (very comfortable shaver, the open comb guard has an excellent face feel and it's adjustable!)

Since you have added nimble and manouverable to your requirement list a Yaqi Mellon and a Gillette New Improved would be excellent options imo.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think the RazoRock SuperSlant L1++OC will work for me with the Kai blade.... I'm going to try it when we get back. With a Perma-Sharp, it almost gets me there but is just a bit too mild. I can get my chin area smooth but it takes too much effort for me. The Kai might up the efficiency just enough so I'll keep the SuperSlant around... if not, it's off to BST, along with the L2++ base plate that's just too much for me.

@Chickencutlets , I'm not sure if that helps you or not. It's hard to make recommendations because we're all so different. I can say, I have two OC razors and only the SuperSlant falls into your price range.... but I've spent far too much money on it and I'm still not there with it. I do love the feel of the SuperSlant's OC... Its teeth are very rounded and don't poke me at all. The L3 was far too efficient... the L2++ just a tad too efficient... the L1++OC just a tad too mild... I really am hoping the Kai works for me. I want to fall in love with the SuperSlant. I love the concept and want to love the razor.

Something new, Fatip Grande (under $30). The Piccolo is basically the same if you prefer the smaller handle. I have the Schone also made by Fatip which is unfortunately not available anymore.

Something vintage, Gillette New SC or LC, my SC has been replated and looks like it was made recently, though it's from the 1930s.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m seeking suggestions for an open comb razor that is under the 200 mark. Preferably one that isn’t high maintenance and requires a break down and polish after every use because of the polish. Seeking something I can almost effortlessly shave but mows down a beard with ease. If it has high maneuverability, and nimble in tight corners,even better!
So doe the Ares work for you except the polishing of the bronze? That might help us... same efficiency??? more or less efficient??? Vintage or modern?

I completely pivoted ordered a Tatara masmune since the feather as-d2 is currently my favorite DE and it’s similar, yet offers something different.

Top Bottom