What's new

New Hart Steel Straight for the New Year.

Well I have heard different stories about the Hart Steel razors, so I figured I would find out for myself to see if this was a worthy straight to keep in my stable. I will be using this one in the morning along with some Le Pere Lucien & a nice Ronney Heritage brush. After receiving the blade and looking at it for a few moments I already see that I really do not like the black resin scales, so this one just might have to make a trip to Max Sprecher for a new set of custom scales.
$20141231_234932_1.jpg

Wallace: nice razor, I just this evening honed up my Hart 7/8 square point on some new stones that I got just after Christmas. Slated for my new years shave in the AM, same brush too, although Tabac is on the menu.
Hope you enjoy your new Hart.

I have a 7/8 square point. My first shave with it was decent, but not stellar. A short trip to the Arkansas finishing stone, and it became a great shaver. I agree, the scales are kind of clunky and boring, but very functional.

Clunky is a good way to describe the scales. Though fitting with the heft of the blade. I've got the maple on mine: they're considerably lighter than the plastic ones.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Very nice. I'm waiting for my first straight to arrive in the mail, but once I get the hang of it, I want to invest in a Hart Steel straight. Let us know how you like it once you've had a chance to use it a few times.

I agree with those scales. I'd go for something like a Buffalo Horn or a "Venom" see pix.
$Venom Scale.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! I love my Harts. The weight and the way they feel in my hand always leaves me feeling like I have a precision tool in my hands.

Yep. I wanted them to be close to the original design but made of fancier material. If I may propose a maker I'd contact mycarver. His work is outstanding.

Well I have heard different stories about the Hart Steel razors, so I figured I would find out for myself to see if this was a worthy straight to keep in my stable. I will be using this one in the morning along with some Le Pere Lucien & a nice Ronney Heritage brush. After receiving the blade and looking at it for a few moments I already see that I really do not like the black resin scales, so this one just might have to make a trip to Max Sprecher for a new set of custom scales.
View attachment 535909

Your Hart razor is beautiful!
Even the scales, IMO, are nice!
If you want to change, you can easily order replacement scales from them and swap out with the nifty pivot hex screw.

Thanks, but I had a set of scales in mind for this blade....I will post some photos when it is finished....

Top Bottom