What's new

Need a VERY citrus scented fragrance...

I thought of another one which is more in the barbershop category, Pinaud Citrus Musk. It seems to be a mix of lemon, lime, grapefruit and lemongrass with some light musk notes (not the animalic type musk). A 12 oz bottle of this costs around $10, so nothing fancy but it's actually pretty nice. Lasts for maybe two or three hours. You could use it as a strong aftershave.

Currently attempting to find a very citrus (lime, orange, lemon, grapefruit) scented fragrance and thus far I have been unsuccessful. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, that's just the nature of the molecules that smell like citrus.

Cut to the chase, OP, and get some lime essential oil. It's dirt cheap and will smell as good as anything can... just be prepared for it to fade fast like all citrus does.
Lime oil is always surprising to people who expect it to smell like the fruit. Citrus extracts are made from the peels, not the fruit, so you have to find a peel (zest) whose smell you like.

Lime oil, to me, smells least like the fruit. Lemon is slightly closer, brighter and instantly recognizable from all the lemon-scented plants and products. Orange is decent and ubiquitous. Grapefruit oil is the one I think smells most like the fruit, so try a grapefruit scent (or make your own with the extract) if you want that passable citrus smell.

Ok, don't laugh but Everlast Original 1910 is VERY citrus forward and lasts about 4 - 5 hours for me; not to mention its inexpensive (about 10 USD for 50 mils on the bay).
Everlast.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dunhill Amalfi Citrus, and, as many others have mentioned, original Acqua di Parma Colonia. I also often use St John's West Indian Lime in the warm weather. These three would keep me happy from May through mid October.

Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine is excellent if you want a realistic orange. For a more inexpensive lemon/lime equivalent try Eau de Rochas Homme.

Lemon, orange, verbena and a bit of floral. About as citrusy as it gets IMO.

Verveine by L'Occitane en Provence​

I agree. I love the Lemon Verbena.

Guerlain Imperiale is a citrus bombardment as well, but I wouldn't recommend any batches after 2015 or so when it began developing a floor cleaner vibe. Just to be safe, stick with the green label bottles only.

Issy came to mind for me, too. It has big lemon/citrus notes and is powerful. Sillage and legs, both, if that is what you are after. As others have said, most citrus centric scents have neither. I would not say it is a conventional citrus scent. It has a certain amount of funk to it.

If you do not need longevity and/or silage, Pen's Blenheim Bouquet is very much citrus, pepper, and pine.

I have allergic reactions to lime essential oil. I do not think that is uncommon.

Orange and grapefruit are going to be in a different set of scents than lemon and lime. Nerolis should be very orange. Anything that holds itself out as an eau de Portugal. 4711 has an eau de Portugal, but last time I checked it was not much available in the States. Czech & Speake's Citrus Paradisi is very grapefruit forward, with sort of a cigarette ash note, or at least some mild funk, as I recall. C&S's Neroli is nice, too, as a very pure orange. I would put Pen's Castile in more or less the orange category. (Neroli and bergamot, plus a bit of rose.)

Last edited:
2 of the strongest I have experienced are Castle Forbes. Their Limited Edition Neroli was very strong and very long lasting. i haven't tried their new release of it though. Also Castle Forbes Keig has a strong opening scent.
Another one that I found was Roger & Gallet Bois D'Orange, which has some lasting power on me. I layer it with Royal Mandarin on weekends and get about 4 hrs.

Dolce&Gabanna Light Blue Eau Intense...enough grapefruit, mandarin and bergamot to singe your nosehairs. Very strong stuff. Lasts for several hours and doesn't morph into something else like most citrus-based scents.

Top Bottom