What's new

Need a New Scotch

Any of the Macallans of the classic/original/oloroso variety as opposed to "Fine Oak"

The 12yo is great value (In continental Europe at least)

The 1963 was the first 18yo Macallan that I owned (back in 1983) and has always been the benchmark for me

:drool:

What is the going rate for a 12yo in Europe these days out of curiousity? The 12yo Macallan was the Scotch that got me hooked. I was studying abroad in St. Andrews and my roommate was determined to have me enjoy learn to appreciate Scotch. This was our go-to because I think we spent something like 12-15 quid a bottle at that time (the price was right, given the fact we were both in university). Last time I bought one in the states it was $45 I think...stupid dollar.

I have an 18yo Macallan as well (but youngest whiskey from 1986) and I find it excellent. Don't drink as much Scotch as I did back in Scotland, but only because of the outrageous costs here...I'm appreciative of the other suggestions of nice scotches in the 10-15 yo range...I'm always a little leary of trying something new just because of the cost involved, so it's nice to see recommendations.

I too have Michael Jackson's book (great hair, don't you think?) but I can't find it at the moment...grrr.

My two favorite Scotches are Highlanders:

Glenfarclas
and
Royal Lochnagar

You can't go wrong with either of these. Longmore is a close third.

There's some really interesting stuff happening in scotch whisky just now. The vatted malt seems to have made a return. It's a blend of different single malts only, whereas a blended whisky is predominantly grain whisky with some single malts included. One innovative company doing this is Compass Box, which make some amazing whiskies. I've got a bottle of their "Peat Monster" which is a blend of a Speyside and an Islay single malt. Tastes fantastic, obviously very peaty, but beautifully smooth and very very drinkable.

A friend of mine had a bottle of Ballechin, the first in a range of heavily-peated single malts produced by the Edradour distillery. It's matured in Burgundy casks for three years. That's correct, it's only 3 years old, but it tastes amazing.

Top Bottom