What's new

Most Purchased Double Edge Blades (Based on B&B 100 Pack Purchases Thread) ***UPDATE

This is a great thread - many thanks to the OP.

Is it deserved of a sticky somewhere, maybe? Like the DE Razor Aggression Index?

Regardless, I'll be linking this when supporting newbs in blade decisions.

I also feel fortunate to have at least a single tuck of nearly every blade in the top 15 list, but wow! It took a *lot* of reading to get there! (not that I didn't enjoy it)

Thanks!

Shouldnt the listing for Wilkerson Sword be split to indicate which company's Wilkerson Sword? The German W.S. made for Edgewell and the Gillette W.S. for sale in India. Two different companies and two different blades.

Shouldnt the listing for Wilkerson Sword be split to indicate which company's Wilkerson Sword? The German W.S. made for Edgewell and the Gillette W.S. for sale in India. Two different companies and two different blades.

Thanks for your input!

I just purchased 100 Wilkerson's!
Which one do you assign that too? I thought about PM'ing those who posted general names, but I don't want anyone to feel as if I'm nit-picking.
I did my best to list the blades as they were reported.
It would be great if everyone was accurate in their posts to that degree. Unfortunately I did not find that to be true so I had to make a few assumptions. Another example is the Personna's, according to American Safety Razor which is owned by Edgewell Personal Care the Blues, Lab Blues, Lab Preps, Meds, Med Preps, etc. are all the same blade. That being said there is still a group of DE shavers that swear there is a difference in the shaves.
My thinking on this list was and is that if you cannot find a blade on this list that will give you a decent shave, you are in a few small group. I thought it would be an interesting way to look at blades that I hadn't seen done before on B&B. I think it is a good way to come up with a sample pack. And I also discovered a few that I haven't tested and plan to do so in the near future.
If I was putting together a sample pack from this list and discovered there were 2 different Wilkerson's I would put both in my sample pack.

Got it! Good points. Appreciate all your great work on this, most certainly it will continue to be a valuable resource for all.

My last LARGE purchases were 1000 each of Voskhod and Gillette Yellows. Today I purchased 100 Kai because they're oh-so-sweet...

Hi Clyde 72 ..... This has been a terrific thread, and thank you so much for all your efforts in putting together "the list." For me and my face, specific blades work best with specific razors. As of now --- Merkur 34C with Feather, Merkur 39C Slant with Israeli Red Personna, and Maggard's MR5-v.3 with Voskhod. But who knows what the future holds ? That's why this is a wonderful hobby and why B&B is such a great place to share ideas and stay informed. Happy Holidays !

View attachment 710517

Last edited:
I too have been and am currently trying to find the best blade for my face and 2 razors (mergress and ATT S1). A few things I have found over the last couple of months.

-Unless someone is calling them Personna Lab I do not take them to mean Personna Lab when they say Personna Blue as the Israeli Personna (IP) is sometimes what they are referring to. I was not a fan of the Labs but only tried one blade and could have easily been poor form and it is why I bought 2 of all the blades I wanted to try from tryablade

-Feathers are absolutely up there but I am finding the Russian blades just a joy and a great price point. Voshkods, Rapira Lux (and I think the more folks try these the higher on the list they will end up going), and 7 0's yellow are my top 3 right now.

-I think the list on here is fantastic. I wish I had found this a couple of months ago when I was making my tryablade purchase. I missed out on a few great blades and bought some stinkers. If someone could actually make this a recommended list of blades to try for newbs I think it would be tremendously helpful.

-Buy at least 2 blades of each you want to try. You may miss out on a great blade otherwise (poor technique and/or prep), go through your assortment trying each blade once and taking notes. Say you only do 10 blades so about 10 weeks. By now your technique and prep should have improved tremendously. Now go back and do it again taking notes again. I promise you will see things differently. Good and bad.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the blade discussions simply because Astra SPs just work for me, and i have yet to find anything that matches them. So I'm a bit "jaded" about trying new blades... But I have to say, I'm really surprised about the voskhods being even remotely popular, let alone #1 purchased, because when I tried a voskhod, it felt like I was taking a cheese grater or a belt sander to my face... No bueno!

Apparently your mileage WILL vary, quite a bit, in fact.

I guess that could have just been a crappy blade that wasn't manufactured properly for one reason or another, but I have zero desire to try another one after that .

-I think the list on here is fantastic. I wish I had found this a couple of months ago when I was making my tryablade purchase. I missed out on a few great blades and bought some stinkers. If someone could actually make this a recommended list of blades to try for newbs I think it would be tremendously helpful.

Glad you like it!

I've now added the latest 160 purchases.
Out of 602 total purchases here is the latest results.

RankBladePercent
1PolSilver Super Iridium11.9%
2Astra Superior Platinum11.7%
3Gillette Silver Blue11.1%
4Voskhod10.5%
5Personna Blues (Labs & Meds)9.8%
6Feather8.8%
7Gillette Nacet5.6%
8Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow3.4%
9 (Tie)Rapira Platinum Lux2.9%
9 (Tie)Rapira Swedish SuperSteel2.9%
10Personna Red Israeli2.5%
11 (Tie)Rockwell Swedish Steel2.3%
11 (Tie)Wilkinson Sword2.3%
12Perma-Sharp2.1%
13Kai Stainless Steel1.7%
14 (Tie)Crystals1.5%
14 (Tie)Gillette Platinum1.5%
15 (Tie)Gillette 7 o'clock Black1.3%
15 (Tie)Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless1.3%
16 (Tie)Astra Stainless1.0%
16 (Tie)Bolzano Superinox Inossidable1.0%
16 (Tie)Derby Extra1.0%
16 (Tie)Rapira Super Stainless1.0%
16 (Tie)Shark Super Chrome1.0%
16 (Tie)Shark Super Stainless1.0%

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the blade discussions simply because Astra SPs just work for me, and i have yet to find anything that matches them. So I'm a bit "jaded" about trying new blades... But I have to say, I'm really surprised about the voskhods being even remotely popular, let alone #1 purchased, because when I tried a voskhod, it felt like I was taking a cheese grater or a belt sander to my face... No bueno!

Apparently your mileage WILL vary, quite a bit, in fact.

I guess that could have just been a crappy blade that wasn't manufactured properly for one reason or another, but I have zero desire to try another one after that .

I'm not a fan of the Voskhod either. Blades are one of the Biggest YMMV's IMHO!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This thread is a Goldmine. Thanks so much for assembling it. The information here assembled would have saved me many hours of reading and study had I encountered it earlier, but perhaps those hours were well invested as I learned a lot about why certain blades are popular amongst experienced DE shavers.

I am a rank newbie. My only DE razor, a Feather DS-A2, was shipped to me with, yes, you guess it, Feather blades. Those boys are sharp, but seem to work well enough for me in the razor.

The lists and discussion here helped me nail down the choices to make in my self selected sample pack at Try A Blade.

This thread is a great example of why this is such a cool place for new as well as experienced shavers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks @Chan Eil Whiskers aka Jim!
Glad you found it to be of use! That is the reason I assembled it. I think one would be hard pressed not to find a balde that he or she likes in this list. Of course as with all blades YMMV!

Top Bottom