What's new

Mike's hand made soaps from Brooklyn.

MIKE's NATURAL SOAPS (A different poll)

• Handmade in the U.S.A.

• Handmade in Ann Arbor, MI

• Doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just to prove you wrong (not about a nice boar shredding up hard soaps, I agree with you there).

The brush is my 2012 Bullgoose Vie - Long butterscotch beehive silver tip. The first picture is with bay rum (my 1'st test lather with Mike's) the second and third are with barbershop (although the tin says bay rum in the background). Maybe it is just in my mind, but I seem to get better lather with the barbershop.

That Vie-Long is a great brush! I have one myself :thumbup1:

Sorry guys, as a face-latherer, this excites me. :D

proxy.php

ANOTHER Vie-Long, though....

B&B Essential Boar Brush and Mike's Unscented Soap:

$mikes1.jpg

$mikes3.jpg

45 seconds loading the brush, and then lots of water added to the bowl.

Now, that's what I call LATHER!

Nick

OPs looks too wet.

I've don't splash my face before lathering, squeeze my brush dry, and find one or two tiny dips of the tips is all I need.

I was going to post my lather today since I just used coconut.

But I tried all 3 of my brushes and bowl lathered. I guess I should try face lathering with Mikes even though I don't like face lathering.

I was going to post my lather today since I just used coconut.

But I tried all 3 of my brushes and bowl lathered. I guess I should try face lathering with Mikes even though I don't like face lathering.

What went wrong when you tried to bowl lather Mike's?

I used to be the poster boy for bad lather. Now, as you can see from my post in this thread, I've got it down to a science. It's definitely possible to get great lather in a a bowl with Mike's.

What kind of brushes were you using? How long did you load them?

Nick

The lather was too thin and runny.

I used a 22 knot silver tip first then used a Semogue 1305 and last I used a Simpsons special best.

I loaded all three brushes for about 45 seconds and then whipped it in the bowl for along time adding water ever few minutes and nothing worked.

The lather was too thin and runny.

I used a 22 knot silver tip first then used a Semogue 1305 and last I used a Simpsons special best.

I loaded all three brushes for about 45 seconds and then whipped it in the bowl for along time adding water ever few minutes and nothing worked.

Sounds exactly like my first lathers with Mike's. They were thin and full of little bubbles.

Here's my suggestions: Use the Semogue 1305 as you're learning instead of the badger brushes. I never found the trick to getting good lather from a soap with my silvertip.

Use Jim's method for lathering soaps - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/21136-How-to-make-great-lather-from-a-soap-Tutorial - paying particular attention to the way he squeezes most of the water out of the brush, and to how he loads the soap.

Load for twice as long. Try 90 seconds, cutting back later once you get the hang of it. It's always easier to work with too much product rather than too little.

Use cold water. I didn't get great lather when I tried warm or hot water with Mike's.

Don't give up. I had plenty of frustrating attempts at first, and was almost ready to go back to using creams. I'm glad I kept at it, because the lather I get from Mike's now provides some of the best shaves I've ever enjoyed.

Nick

Ahh that's some good tips.

I will keep trying because I have 4 other sample that I haven't tried yet.

I think the full tins will work better anyways since the sample I'm using keeps sliding around in my Anchor hocker cup.

I think the full tins will work better anyways since the sample I'm using keeps sliding around in my Anchor hocker cup.

That could be part of the problem. You might not have been getting enough soap in the brush because of the way the sample was sliding around in your cup. Until you get a full tin, you might try holding the sample in your handle and loading the brush that way.

Nick

​Thanks for the great pics ya'll ! I really, really like Mike's which has been and is a mainstay in my erratic rotation.

Top Bottom