What's new

Merkur 37C Slant

Shaved with my new 37C for the first time yesterday - great shave, but after my 3 pass shave, I must have used too much pressure on my chin area as I was trying to clean up / blade buff... Got some decent razor burn...

Looking forward to using it again once my face heals a little... hoping it will be my one and only razor...

I am just looking to lock into my "goto" set-up - plan to lock into one blade, one razor, one cream, one brush...

Congrats on that shave with the slant. Lately I've been finding the slant to be my go to for a DE shave.

Me too! Best all-around DE razor for people with a couple of months DE shaving under their belt ...

With my slant, I'm still getting use to the Star Trek angled ends on my sideburns though! :ohmy:

I started my wet shaving foray with a Merkur slant. It is an awesome performer. Of course we all know the blade is slanted, but I think part of the great performance is due to the curve of the blade...I believe the curve of the head really stiffens up the blade versus a flat head. I do not find this razor to be nicky or aggressive at all, it is simply efficient. Over the past year I have been straight razor shaving, and after reading reviews of the slant, and after several vodka tonics, I decided to dust off my slant and have a go at it. I used skin stretching, as in straight shaving. Result...2 passes, minor touchups and I'm bbs. No cuts, no burn. My slant will no longer gather dust!

I'd like to have a Slant between 37c and 39c. 39c length without the heft. Well...absolutely like the shave feeling and the outcome is always perfect.

I've been using my 37G recently, and really like the Astra blade I threw in it. I usually use Feather blades, but they tend to be a bit too rough in my slant. I used to love the feathers, but I feel they tend to slice off a little more than just hair in sensitive areas. The Astra feels nice and smooth in it. Perhaps I'll need to stock up on Astras, too.

man... now I think I want a slant.

Q: Does holding the razor head at an angle = slant? or are there other differences to the head that make it perform differently than the angle?

Part of what makes it a slant razor is the head of the razor flexes the blade, twisting it into the slant shape. While tilting a regular razor to an angle will help, it won't get you quite the same results as a true slant bar razor.

Man - threads like this really make me think about getting a slant! I have been wetshaving for 2 months now with a 34c and really love it. I have sensitive skin and dense beard growth - so its really hard for me to go against the grain (ATG, right?!) - which I need to do to get BBS. I think that a Merkur Slant could be right up my alley

Last edited:
The only razor that I can get an irritation-free shave on my neck. It's the only razor I currently use, and will probably use in the future.

Part of what makes it a slant razor is the head of the razor flexes the blade, twisting it into the slant shape. While tilting a regular razor to an angle will help, it won't get you quite the same results as a true slant bar razor.

that's what I was afraid of. Now I need to buy one :sad: :lol:

Ill watch the BST

Hi all!'
today was day 3 with the 37c. What a surprisingly effective shaver it is. This and my Joris now occupy top spots in the rotation.
@ Chris--yeah, you'll like it.

I was careful with it the first few times, but I quickly forgot about it. Now I swing it around like my Super Speed and it hasn't taken anything away from my face yet.

Its reputation as a face eater is undeserved.

that's what I was afraid of. Now I need to buy one :sad: :lol:

Ill watch the BST

Yeah, you do! :biggrin1: They really are awesome razors. Well worth the extra coin. (Though, I love my DE89, too!)

I was careful with it the first few times, but I quickly forgot about it. Now I swing it around like my Super Speed and it hasn't taken anything away from my face yet.

Its reputation as a face eater is undeserved.

I would agree, with one exception. I've noticed that I can do more damage with it as the blade begins to get dull. A normal straight bar razor doesn't feel good and can be irritating, but it doesn't cut like my slant does. Just keep a sharp blade in it, and you're good to go.

Last edited:
I have the Merkur Slant
Can not win my Open Combs in aggressiveness but has a different feeling
A pleasure shaving surprise.

:wink2:

I agree! A very smooth razor for sure, very forgiving, mows through tough stubble, and a pleasure to use! I can get closer shaves from my R41, but the slant doesn't require as much patience and attention as the R41! Love my slant!

+1 - My sentiments exactly. Super smooth shave with my slant (39c), though not as close as the R41.

I've been using my 37G recently, and really like the Astra blade I threw in it. I usually use Feather blades, but they tend to be a bit too rough in my slant. I used to love the feathers, but I feel they tend to slice off a little more than just hair in sensitive areas. The Astra feels nice and smooth in it. Perhaps I'll need to stock up on Astras, too.
Give a Polsilver SI a shot.

I used my Merkur 37C tonight for the first time and wow! I really enjoyed my shave. Lathered up with some D.R. Harris Arlington and the 37 was super smooth and cut right through my beard. It will definitely be in the rotation from here on out.

Top Bottom