What's new

Menthol is to summer as ??? is to winter?

Eben Stone

Staff member
I haven't tried any of them, but Duke Cannon, Van der Hagen, and Billy Jealousy all make various "warming" preshaves and/or shaving cream.

I haven't tried any of them, but Duke Cannon, Van der Hagen, and Billy Jealousy all make various "warming" preshaves and/or shaving cream.
I'm trying to find something to add to unscented slash. I make my own splash and I can do with or without menthol but I was trying to find something to add the sensation of "warmth" for the winter months.
There have been a couple interesting ideas that I just haven't gotten around to trying yet, vetiver and capsaicin.

I'm kind of an unscented person. I don't really associate vetiver with summer necessarily though; it's one of the fragrances I do like, and I think of it as a year-round thing, maybe autumn if forced.

My associations with summer are probably more fruity or flowery. Lilac is kind of a good example, although that's a strongly "spring" fragrance for me. Maybe something like peach? Rose? Again, I'm unlikely to use any of those just because I usually stick to unscented products, but that's kind of where my mind goes based on experiences with fragrances in various things.

Grass is definitely a fragrance that reminds me of summer.

Being raised in the city where grass is somewhat scarce, I am more familiar with the smell of hot asphalt. Maybe some artisan will do a "Big City" summer scent, hot asphalt, gasoline, subway scents, people smoking grass, corner bar room scents, burn out rubber... ....top , middle, bottoms notes...
BFX

I find Clubman Whiskey Woods is great in the cold weather. It has a warming sensation. It has nice scent as well.

ER-1914_b.JPG

I was really hoping someone else would have brought this up first, but there's the substance informally known as "motion lotion" that warms when you rub it in.

Top Bottom