What's new

Menthol is to summer as ??? is to winter?

For me, the Proraso white pre-shave has that warming feeling. Unfortunately, it is scented (synthetic smell, or you can call it chemical if you wish), so I am not sure if that's something you'd like.
thats very odd you find it "synthetic", for me it is exactly the opposite. its one of my favorite scents of all time. proraso definitely doesnt use harsh chemicals in their products from what i understand. the scent is green tea and oatmeal and id highly recommend someone try a sample for themselves first.

thats very odd you find it "synthetic", for me it is exactly the opposite. its one of my favorite scents of all time. proraso definitely doesnt use harsh chemicals in their products from what i understand. the scent is green tea and oatmeal and id highly recommend someone try a sample for themselves first.
I am not the only one to find its scent ‘synthetic’, there are others on the forum who agree with this. My partner also thinks the same, even though she is not into shaving stuff. And to be honest, it does make sense. For a few bucks, Proraso cannot use natural flagrant oils as it would be too expensive.

I am not saying this to attack Proraso, on the contrary, I don’t blame them for using synthetic flagrance oils. I think they are fine given the price point (and I don’t think they are necessarily dangerous), it’s just that some may not like it, that’s all.

Also menthol. I'm either using it to help cool me off on a hot day or mimicking the cool weather on a cold day. Every single day is a menthol day.

I am not the only one to find its scent ‘synthetic’, there are others on the forum who agree with this. My partner also thinks the same, even though she is not into shaving stuff. And to be honest, it does make sense. For a few bucks, Proraso cannot use natural flagrant oils as it would be too expensive.

I am not saying this to attack Proraso, on the contrary, I don’t blame them for using synthetic flagrance oils. I think they are fine given the price point (and I don’t think they are necessarily dangerous), it’s just that some may not like it, that’s all.
Same for me. The white Proraso smells horrible. Can't describe it. Very odd smell. All other colors are fine.

From Proraso (amongst the other ingredients): Avena sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Camellia sinensis Leaf Extract ... it may smell bad to some, but it's not synthetic

From Proraso (amongst the other ingredients): Avena sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Camellia sinensis Leaf Extract ... it may smell bad to some, but it's not synthetic
The two ingredients you mentioned are not for the smell.

Here’s the ingredients lists, where it is mentioned only “Parfum (Flagrance)”, so it is synthetic. I am not sure if you are aware of the very high prices of essential oils. At that cost, nobody can afford using them and sell the finished product for just 5 EUR.

Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Flower/Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Potassium Hydroxide, Menthol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxhydrocinnamate, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geranoil, Citronellol.

For those that care, I think I may have found the answer I was looking for. It looks like Vanillyl Butyl Ether is what is needed. It is used in many industries and if used properly, safe for humans. Now to find some in a small quantity to test with.

I am looking for an answer to a question that just might not be possible. If you think about menthol and it's affects on the skin (perception of cooling), is there an equivalent for a perception of warming? I'm just not a fragrance type of person so my exposure to what's out there is very very limited. Any ideas?
Something rich with proper tallow to protect the skin from the elements

Top Bottom