What's new

Menthol is to summer as ??? is to winter?

I am looking for an answer to a question that just might not be possible. If you think about menthol and it's affects on the skin (perception of cooling), is there an equivalent for a perception of warming? I'm just not a fragrance type of person so my exposure to what's out there is very very limited. Any ideas?

I have some scuttles. I would like to use them - so far mixed results - hoping for warm winter lather!
I'm well versed in scuttles! I hate being cold! I'm looking for something that would stick around on the face (sensation wise) like menthol does when used in aftershaves.

It may just be my imagination, but I feel a mild warming sensation with Proraso red sandalwood aftershave splash. The effect isn’t as strong as menthol, but I use it in the colder months much as I use green Proraso in the warmer ones. The scent has pretty nice longevity for an aftershave.

For me, the Proraso white pre-shave has that warming feeling. Unfortunately, it is scented (synthetic smell, or you can call it chemical if you wish), so I am not sure if that's something you'd like.

I like something more moisturizing when it gets cold -- glycerin and/or oils in aftershave (e.g. Proraso red aftershave), and Mitchell's wool fat for shaving soap (post shave lanolin feel) ... to me, that's the winter answer to "menthol is to summer" ... :)

Thanks all! I have read that a mix of cinnamon and clove have warming properties but my concern would be skin reaction to the oils/compounds in them. I have tried both tobacco and whisk(e)ies. I don't ever feel any warmth; there is a warm fragrance. Maybe what I'm trying to achieve just isn't possible.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Thanks all! I have read that a mix of cinnamon and clove have warming properties but my concern would be skin reaction to the oils/compounds in them. I have tried both tobacco and whisk(e)ies. I don't ever feel any warmth; there is a warm fragrance. Maybe what I'm trying to achieve just isn't possible.
I suppose you could always cut open a ghost pepper and rub it on your face.

If one likes menthol like I do, Master Creations Frosted Lavender aftershave is sure to please. It's available at Pasteur. But be warned, it's eye watering strong. I personally love it. 🤗

Top Bottom