What's new

Maybe I'll learn something.

9/11/23

Preshave: showered with Provence Sante Big Vetiver Bar
Brush: RV Shaving 25mm STF
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: Barrister & Mann Hallows
Razor:pAA Fakelite Filament
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (7)
Splash+Frag: B&M Hallows
9.7 DFS+ two passes drama free

I had a few days growth. I tried a WTG pass with the FOCS but that wasn’t happening. Determined to use a slant I grabbed my Filament. Just wow. Just as good as last time, but, even better shave results. For me it is that good. I could grab this just as easily as my Wolfman. I’m not parting from either of them or my vintage razors.It was great with the Filament, but, maybe it could have been thicker. Hallows in this new base is great. At least one of the old bases burned my skin. So this is a major improvement. The aftershave is a little different than previous versions. A little goes a long way with Omnibus. It also takes a lot water. At first it seemed like I had pushed it to far, but, the very wet lather was just great. I'll give the FOCS with some different lather. If not I will try a Grande. If I can't get on with any Fatip I will know I tried. I used my Hallows shave towel to dry off and I wore my Hallows shirt to my Appointment. I would also like to use my Above the Tie X1 at some point this month, but, who knows where it is. I found it very mild. I don't know the tool very well. AC razors my only experience is the OC Hawk V3. Once or twice and the X1 once or twice. It is an odd format for me.

9/19/23

8 days growth.
Preshave: showered with Provence Sante Big Vetiver Bar/Proraso Green
Soap: Proraso Green Cream
Razor: Fakelite Handled ATT X1 Slant
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Splash Proraso Green spiked with a ton of Menthol Crystals
9.7 DFS+ three passes

Best shave I have had with the ATT X1 I believe. Not as close as my favorite razors, but, close. I am impressed with how it knocked down a weeks worth of stubble. In my memory it was more mild. The previous times I had paired it with my 19 gram GTB rosseforp handle. This time I used the Filament's handle. It was nice. I didn't notice it at all. I likey I am definitely a Light Handle Fan Boy. I may get one of the other plastic PAA Slants to have a dedicated X1 handle. My pretty RV Shaving STF brush has unseated my Omega Evo as my favorite synthetic. Not hard as I only have the two. Proraso green is phenomenal. I think the cream's lather is really something. I used the soap for years and it wasn't this good. I have the super formula in both, but, I just get better lather from the cream. No drama today. There were a few red spots that didn't bleed, a micro cut on my neck and a spot in my mustache.

I had one of the original Bakelite Open Comb Slants in the early days of my safety razor journey. I wasn't ready for it. I have been lusting after the Filament for a while and not getting it, based on my experience with the Bakelite version. I haven't had that many shaves with it yet, but, I had a really good shave with my Filament even without backing off a quarter turn last time. I kind of think Proraso cream had something to do with the magic though like today. I certainly like the looks of the Filament better even than the original Bakelite models. The monsters I am thinking I need a glow in the dark one for variety. As of now I have my GTB handle and my PAA aluminum Ascension handle in addition to the Fakelite. I generally just use my GTB on everything, but, it is really best for my WR2 and I would rather have dedicated handles.

So you know how I sang the praise of my last shaves with both the ATT X1 and the PAA Filament? Yeah today wasn't like those times. I did two 2 reduction passes with the X1 terribly uncomfortable. For that matter the way the stubble grew back in has been really sharp. I realize it is a slant, but, so is the Filament. So today I thought why not close on a high with the Fakelite. ERGH! I didn't quite get Proraso magic today, and, in return didn't get Fakelite magic either. It took down the stubble the X1 left but not in the smooth way I have seen so far from this razor. I guess I'll shift blame to my lather. It was rather airy.
oh right. Maybe that also explains the X1, but, I still don't like how the stubble grew back in. AT the end of the day you can say I am not yet well learned with these tools. I have had a couple good shaves. Today I'm frustrated.

09/24/23
Seven days growth
Soap: Proraso Green Cream
Razor: Fakelite Handled ATT X1 Slant
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Razor: PAA Fakelite Filament
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (8)
Splash Proraso Green spiked with a ton of Menthol Crystals
SAS 7.5 and Frustrated about it

10/02/23
Cream: Proraso Green Cream
Razor: Rotbart Mond Extra RFB SC
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (6)
Splash: Proraso Green with ALL the menthol added
DFS 9.7

First OCtober shave. I used the more rare Rotbart Short Comb RFB. This razor leaves the Gillette Long Comb RFB in the dust especially with a bit of growth. Such a great shave. Some red spots but no bleeding. Very close and smooth.

I have had two trims with my Panasonic washable beard trimmers. The first was to ten and without the guard on my neck. That was last week after going over a month. Today I trimmed my whole face to one, and, followed with Proraso green splash crammed full of menthol crystals. I finally opened the box my replacement Rex Envoy was in. Maybe I'll get a shave in soon.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have had two trims with my Panasonic washable beard trimmers. The first was to ten and without the guard on my neck. That was last week after going over a month. Today I trimmed my whole face to one, and, followed with Proraso green splash crammed full of menthol crystals. I finally opened the box my replacement Rex Envoy was in. Maybe I'll get a shave in soon.
I think I have an idea how you feel Michael. I finally got my Vector fixed so all my blades fit correctly, and WhichyPoo nixed my very first attempt to use the newly modified/de-burred Vector five minutes into lathering up last Tuesday.

Words were spoken, and I have been too angry to shave since then.

I have not said a word to WhichyPoo since either, but I have a Merkur Progress, an .84 Black Anodized Aluminum Guerilla, three pucks of Mike's Natural Soaps on order, and my GC105-P is still waiting for me to get in the mood to shave. Not to mention the tubs of AdP and Razorock XXX that came while WhichyPoo was in China.
I still need to order a dozen sticks of ARKO so I have something to give WhichyPoo for her next birthday, Valentine's day, Christmas, etc...

I sincerely hope you take this tongue-and-cheek, Michael, and it gives you some cheer, as WhichyPoo is only about five feet from me in the kitchen as I write this.:c12:

~doug~

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I think I have an idea how you feel Michael. I finally got my Vector fixed so all my blades fit correctly, and WhichyPoo nixed my very first attempt to use the newly modified/de-burred Vector five minutes into lathering up last Tuesday.

Words were spoken, and I have been too angry to shave since then.

I have not said a word to WhichyPoo since either, but I have a Merkur Progress, an .84 black Anodized Guerilla, three pucks of Mike's Natural Soaps on order, and my GC105-P is still waiting for me to get in the mood to shave. Not to mention the tubs of AdP and Razorock XXX that came while WhichyPoo was in China.
I still need to order a dozen sticks of ARKO so I have something to give WhichyPoo for her next birthday, Valentine's day, Christmas, etc...

I sincerely hope you take this tongue-and-cheek, Michael, and it gives you some cheer, as WhichyPoo is only about five feet from me in the kitchen as I write this.:c12:

~doug~
:sad:

11-19-2023
First pass done with Panasonic Washable beard trimmers without the guard
Preshave shower with Provence Sante Big Vetiver Bar Proraso Green
Cream: Proraso Green Cream
Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (7)
Splash: Proraso Green with ALL the menthol added
DFS 9.7 One pass with the Envoy.

Last edited:
12/27/23
First pass with Panasonic Washable Beard Trimmer
Preshave in the shower with Provence Santa big vetiver bar, Proraso Green
Brush RV shaving stf
Captain's choice copper bowl
Proraso Green Cream and splash
Razor wolfman wr2 1.25 sb
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (9)
9.7 two pass dfs

Last edited:
After using my RV Shaving STF brush for a while I started digging around in my boxes again. 2022 contributers brush with 2 band silver tip and Zenith Manchurian brushes are on deck. Martin de Candre Vetyver, with either Fine Green Vetiver, or, Catties Bubbles Un Jour Gris after shave followed by St Johns Vetiver Cologne. I hope I shave more.

IMG_1041.jpeg
01/02/24
Preshave St Johns Vetiver soap in the shower
Brush Zenith Manchurian
Face Lathered
Soap Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / @Rosseforp GTB handle
Blade Vintage Shick Super Stainless (1)
splash Cattie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Frag St Johns Vetiver
DFS 9.7

I'm pretty sure this was my second shave with the Zenith Manchurian. It face lathered well, though after the first pass I just painted. The vintage blades did well. Not sure the age, but, there is no UPC.

Top Bottom