What's new

Maybe I'll learn something.

45 years and day shave. I would have liked to shave yesterday, but, settled for trim with beard trimmers. Today I figured I would go for it.

05/19/23

First pass with Beard trimmer
Preshave: lathered PAA The Mentholated Cube and let it soak in, then shower with King C. Gillette beard wash
Brush: Zenith Blue Manchurian
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Stirling Fascally
Razor 1: 1930's Rotbart Mond Extra Short Comb Raised Flat Bottom
Razor 2: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a rosseforp GTB handle
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (2)
Splash: Cattie's Bubble's Un Jour Gris was frosty
Frag: Stirling Fascally

First use of the new Zenith Manchurian. I used it with a soap I haven't used much Stirling. I wasn't completely thrilled with my lather and had to go back to the puck for the second pass. My Rotbart Short Comb RFB was efficent on the stubbley beard, but, My buffing strokes were likely too much pressure. As such my first pass it made several weepers. I attacked my face with alum, before lathering up again. My face was already irritated when I took the Wolfman to it, but, it made things no worse, and, was quite comfortable for an ATG pass. These are two of my favorite Razors. I think I am going to use a few different soaps before settling back down into default set of tools. I will be using the Zenith for the foreseeable future to break it in. It is already a great brush on it's first use. For this much stubble the Rotbart then Wolfman strategy makes sense.
I still really like Vintage Personnas. I have no idea how old these are, They may not be that old. Don't know how one would date them. Not that it matters. There are a lot of these in the wild, but, I am happy with what I have of them. It is not like I am hurting for blades.

06/02/23
14 day shave
First pass with trimmers
Preshave: Proraso Green
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor 1: 1930's Rotbart Mond Extra Short Comb Raised Flat Bottom
Razor 2: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a @Rosseforp GTB handle
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (3)
Aftershave: Proraso Green
DFS 9.5 little red but not much.

I forgot to soak my Zenith so I decided to use my only synthetic, the Omega Evo. Always a good experience. I used my favorite two razors again in conjunction. The WR2 could have handled it alone, but, the open comb first helps. I have an RFB in both Short Comb and Long Comb and the short comb is the better razor. At least for multiple days growth. My long comb version always fills up with whiskers too quick. Vintage Personna Blade sharp and smooth on the third shave. Really nice using Proraso after so long. I finally ordered Fougere Classic in Omnibus. I was sad they did away with Fern, but, I think this is it's replacement. The description is the same based on Fougere Royale. I dug through the boxes for Fern, but, only found the soap and as I have decided to move in a couple of months I don't want to put too much effort into digging into a packed box.

06/07/23
6 days growth
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Fern
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a @Rosseforp GTB handle 19 grams 78 mm 14.3 mm
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (4)
9.6 some red little drama DFS

Will has a habit of making really great scents, and, then saying he will never make it again. I ordered Fougere Classique. Nope. It will go in the box to be dealt with later. I liked this formula and I liked Fern. I still have a few releases of Hallows though they irritate my skin now in Glissant. At least they haven't done away with Beaudelaire from West Coast Shaving. I have enough of the other bases, but, I suppose it makes sense to pick some Omnibus up.Today was great kit. The WR2 on the GTB handle is my favorite razor bar none. Thanks a lot Doug. With less than a weeks growth the RFB was not really called for. The WR2 really gets under my nose well. 1.25 may be a large gap but it is incredibly smooth.

I passed my Fatip closed comb slant on. Now I have a real FOCS on the way. This is my third try at a Fatip. It was cheaper than takeout from the BST. Every time I look for one they are sold out. So I will take it. It is a much loved razor. We shall see how I get on with it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I passed my Fatip closed comb slant on. Now I have a real FOCS on the way. This is my third try at a Fatip. It was cheaper than takeout from the BST. Every time I look for one they are sold out. So I will take it. It is a much loved razor. We shall see how I get on with it.
:popc:

06/16/23
10 day shave
First a trim with my Panasonic washable beard trimmers
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Fern
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a @Rosseforp GTB handle 19 grams 78 mm 14.3 mm
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (5)
9.8 couple of little nicks otherwise DFS+++

So my Fatip didn't show up in time for Fatip Friday. I did not miss it. Today's shave was epic. No fussing around with an OC pass. Just the 1.25 WR2 mowing down what was left of ten days of stubble. This is as close as I have ever been with this razor. I have had one shave that was just as good from the 1.15 but never from the 1.25. Despite that I will reaffirm what I said last week this is my favorite razor. Every part of the shave today made a difference. Even bowl lathering the Barrister & Mann Reserve Fern made a difference. I didn't hoard Fern, but, I did get a couple to have in the future. It is good stuff. The Vintage Personna was sharp on it's 5th outing. I stuck with the Omega Evo it works well with Reserve. This is a great lineup. I am kind of amazed just how good this shave was. I did three passes WTG, XTG, ATG, with a little touch up under my nose and to the sides of my Adam's apple in the hollows. I ran steep as usual. Less blood than I have been getting. I got one small nick where I shaved ATG on my jawline, and, a small nick under each nostril from my XTG pass. Considering the level of closeness I got today, it is a really small price to pay. The Witch Hazel was soothing, and, the alum let me know everything was fine. Proraso green was great, but, I kind of miss the cooling of Cattie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris. I have a full bottle of Stirling Frost Drops crystalizing that I haven't done anything with. I must ponder further.

Over a months beard shave.
07/26/23
Panasonic wet dry beard trimmers without the guard
Preshave: In the shower PAA Mentholated Cube, Proraso green preshave
Brush: RV Shaving AS3M Strawberry Amber Muehle STF 25mm
Cream: Proraso Green
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a rosseforp GTB 19 gram handle
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (1)
Splash: 400ml Proraso green with a full bottle of Stirling frost drops added and then even more menthol chill from a bunch of crystals I added after
Solid Cologne from PAA Awesome Sauce to match the Proraso Green Splash
A few minor spots handled with styptic
DFS 9.7

I been in a bad place the last month or so. Today's shave did me a world of good. One shave and I can already tell I like Proraso Cream better than the soap. The lather is lovely creamy slick. The 1.25 glided over my face and delivered such a effortless shave despite the amount of beard. The splash Is even better with all the menthol I added. First shave with the new Muehle STF brush from Rudy. I bowl lathered, but, worked it enough on my face to get a good idea how face lathering would be. This is my new favorite synthetic, but, I can only compare it to Omega Evo, a travel 19mm STF brush that I gave away, and, A Whipped Dog synthetic I gave away even longer ago. Hopefully my next shave is not so far off and I can use one of my slants.

Okay so get **** done, reward myself with a shave day two.
07/27/23
Preshave: spray with flairisol PAA Mentholated Cube Proraso Green preshave and I was slick
Brush: RV Shaving AS3M Strawberry Amber Muehle STF 25mm
Razor: PAA Fakelite Filament OC slant
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (6) This blade has been ear marked for slant use
Splash: 400ml Proraso green with a full bottle of Stirling frost drops added and then even more menthol chill from a bunch of crystals I added after
Solid Cologne from PAA Awesome Sauce to match the Proraso Green Splash
A few minor spots handled with styptic
DFS 9.7

So despite some red this shave was better than I remember having with the Bakelite slant when I was a newbie. Experience has made this a special razor. I dialed back an 1/8th turn as per the instructions. Much better results than with the aluminum DOC screwed back. Second day with Proraso cream. The lather was even more lathery today. Very wet very slick. I could use a smidge less cream. I have to again sing this new STF RV Shaving brushes praises. Vintage Personna on shave 6 today. I started a new blade because I put this one in the FOCS and never shaved with it. I wanted to keep it in slants since the blade gets torqued. I am sure it makes no difference, but, why not be safe. Shave 6 was quite sharp and smooth and paired well with the razor. Mixing Cube and Proraso preshave makes for a slick face much more than the some of their parts and the flairisol bottle also adds it's magic.

Four day shave.
July 31 23
Preshave: shower with PAA Mentholated Cube, Cube lathered and mixed with Proraso Green Preshave
Brush: RV Shaving 25 mm Mühle STF
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Rosseforp GTB handle 19 grams
Splash: Proraso Green with ALL the menthol added
DFS 9.7

Trying to keep it up.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Four day shave.
July 31 23
Preshave: shower with PAA Mentholated Cube, Cube lathered and mixed with Proraso Green Preshave
Brush: RV Shaving 25 mm Mühle STF
Splash: Proraso Green with ALL the menthol added
DFS 9.7

Trying to keep it up.
Keeping things up is always a good thing!

~doug~

A week got away from me.
08/08/23
Preshave shower and mist with flairisol bottle
Brush: RV Shaving 25mm STF
Soap: Classic Tallow Fine Platinum
Bowl: Captain's choice copper
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (3)
Splash+Frag: Fine Platinum

Four days
First shave in the new place.

Let’s take a moment to breathe out slowly.

A year and there is still plywood in the window. The patch in the ceiling blew recently, but, I reported it leaking again a couple of months ago. Breathing is good. Shaving in a nice bathroom is good too.

Preshave: showered with Provence Sante Big Vetiver Bar
Soap: Fine Classic Tallow Platinum
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a Rosseforp GTB 19 Gram handle
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (4)
1 pass plus some touch up on my goatee
SAS 9.7

Two Men and a Truck had me moved in five hours. I still have to carry in what they wouldn’t carry I didn’t mention the after shave. Third floor is no joke.

image.jpg
Some greenery and the back of a shopping center. The Detroit Bikes A Type has flats. It has been in my storage shed for a year.

08/21/23

9.5 SAS two passes drama free

Tallow Fine was a good soap. I have a bit more in Lavender Pour Homme than I do Platinum. I also have some Valobra made travel Oxford and Cambridge from Czech and Speake. Both good soaps, but, if I could still buy either one today I would take the Fine version. The rest of the kit preformed wonderfully. The STF knot is great. I have no idea of the loft , but, Rudy has never done me wrong. The old Personna is still doing it's thing. Sharp and smooth.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
08/21/23

9.5 SAS two passes drama free

Tallow Fine was a good soap. I have a bit more in Lavender Pour Homme than I do Platinum. I also have some Valobra made travel Oxford and Cambridge from Czech and Speake. Both good soaps, but, if I could still buy either one today I would take the Fine version. The rest of the kit preformed wonderfully. The STF knot is great. I have no idea of the loft , but, Rudy has never done me wrong. The old Personna is still doing it's thing. Sharp and smooth.
I have some old Fine soaps when they were still made in the Netherlands. It's good stuff. I also have some Valobra Patcholi I plan on breaking out soon...not as good as Fine though. 😉

Missed the first shave of September. No theme unless Proraso Summer is still going on. Same gear previously seen on TV. Plus 1 on the vintage Personnas. Skipped the Preshave. I ordered more as I don’t know where that box is. The hallows shirt got here before the soap so I’m wearing it today. The brown on blue looks good. I also ordered a shave towel. I expect the soap by next week. Will has helped me out with little nitpky stuff over the years and things have always resolved easily.

Top Bottom