What's new

Let’s talk canned stuff.

I haven’t used it for several years, but Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel was decent, and I like the subtle marzipan fragrance (though it is theoretically unscented).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I haven't used canned foam or gel for a number of years. My recollection was that they didn't provide sufficient slickness to prevent me from getting razor burn. It was probably poor technique but I don't have a positive association. I should probably try it again sometime; I have a feeling it's not as bad as I remember it.
After gels became available that was about all I bought. I really enjoyed them. I feel like they came pretty close to the performance of shave soaps, and better than some.

the only canned stuff I talk about:

proxy.php
proxy.php

I've got some canned shave cream from the Prep brand in Italy. Nice eucalyptus and menthol scent. I got it on closeout sale awhile back. Truthfully, I only use it for things like cleaning up the neckline after home haircuts. Or a quickie night shave occasionally.

Lathering up does not have to be an elaborate ritual, you know. It's not much trouble to face lather with a soap stick or tube cream and takes only a minute.

My skin does not get along with most canned shaving cream.

Exceptions include: Edge, Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel and some Barbasol formulations.

At the end of the day, the propellants dry out my skin.

My preference is Unscented soap and a good synthetic brush.

YMMV

There's nothing wrong with using a canned product, although I'll readily admit that it's nicer to make lather exactly the way I want it with a soap or cream and a brush. Having said that, Proraso canned foam is my favorite canned product; I can't buy it locally and I hate having it shipped, so it's a rare indulgence. I'll occasionally use a can of Barbasol for fun and because I like the scent. Most times when I'm not using a brush, I use Palmolive Classic hand-lathered, Trader Joe's honey mango cream, or just Dove Men+Care soap hand-lathered.

Canned comes in handy when you are in a rush. For years I kept a can of Edge Gel with aloe on hand, but in the last couple of years it has fallen out of favor with me. I used to like Noxzema, but it has become both hard to find and expensive. These days if I use canned it's Barbasol, either original or aloe. It's actually pretty good stuff.

Top Bottom