What's new

Let’s talk canned stuff.

Over the last few years there have been many moments where I just didn’t have the time to perform the brush-and-soap ritual. Many times good old canned foam saved the day. This changed my opinion. The good quality brands like Gillette and Nivea really do offer a quality product. So much so that some have become part of my rotation. Anyone use canned stuff as part of their rotation? My general opinion about it is lot more positive than a couple of years ago.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I always use a brush and cream/soap from I started traditional wet shaving. To me it's just an important part ritual. Plus I shave in the evening to make sure I have enough time to enjoy every part of the shave.

Shaving my head seems more like a chore to me than actually enjoying a part of this hobby. I've used Barbasol for that the last month or so and am pleased with the outcome. It generates a thicker lather than I can make with soap or cream and protects better when I use a DE. It's decent stuff.

I have an old can of Foamy Lime that I use once in a blue moon. It's great in the shower, especially applied over whatever bar soap is in use at the time.
I bought a case when I found out they were going to discontinue Lime. I still have about 10 cans left. Im almost out of menthol sadly. :-(

Let’s talk canned stuff.

Do we have to? :001_cool:

Seriously, for minimum carry-on I may take a safety razor, shaving stick and a good synthetic brush, but sometimes I am given an amenity kit with a small can of shaving foam and a cartridge razor on long distance flights and use them in aircraft washrooms.

It get’s the job done, but neither gives me the pleasure, closeness nor comfort of a shave with brush and safety or straight razor. I am just a sucker for pampering my face with a quality brush and good shaving soap or cream.

Canned foam or gel can IMO never hold a candle to that, but I understand that time pressure or convenience may steer one towards cans.

B.

Last edited:
I've been making do with a can of Gillette Fusion Proglide gel for the last week as I've had no time to do any 'luxury shaves' due to work issues (been working flat-out all week). The Proglide gel is okay but looking forward to using my proper creams next weekend as I've taken some time off from work.

Jason.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm a most magnanimous man, and wish everyone the products that make them happy. The saving time thing always sounds odd to me, but I live with good city water and MdC or Canadian Soap and it takes me about 1 minute to go from loading brush to shaving. I assume it takes others a lot longer, because anyone could get up one minute sooner.

And Kudos to Brutus for shaving in an airplane washroom! With my balance I have enough trouble trying to do the business that tiny room was designed to afford.

I bought a case when I found out they were going to discontinue Lime. I still have about 10 cans left. Im almost out of menthol sadly. :-(
I like foamy menthol a lot. Easily available here at drugstores together with sensitive.

The original (my favorite) on the other hand not so much, online only and even so not easy to find.

I am getting great shaves with Gillette ‘Series’ sensitive which I buy locally.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.png
    IMG_0472.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 6

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That stinks. I have no idea why companies stop producing items that are obviously still loved and being bought.

Especially something like menthol shave cream. I will have to look to see if anyone else makes any. That was a staple in this house while I was growing up.

I never use it. When I was in Japan on vacation I used a Schick non-lathering cream made and marketed in Japan. It was actually pretty good stuff. I liked it a lot better than the foamy stuff that is extruded from the can as a 'lather.'

But I wouldn't even think about using a canned form product unless there were absolutely no other choices.

The La Toja foam is the best I have used and I love the scent. Not sure if it is still available. I have used the same can intermittently since a vacation to Barcelona in 2011.

That stinks. I have no idea why companies stop producing items that are obviously still loved and being bought.

Especially something like menthol shave cream. I will have to look to see if anyone else makes any. That was a staple in this house while I was growing up.
The menthol was what my dad used and therefore what I started with along with the good news disposable back in the 90's.

I haven't used canned foam or gel for a number of years. My recollection was that they didn't provide sufficient slickness to prevent me from getting razor burn. It was probably poor technique but I don't have a positive association. I should probably try it again sometime; I have a feeling it's not as bad as I remember it.

I used canned Gillette foams and gels for years before I came across this forum. After that my crusty Mach3 and can of foam dissapeared and I haven't looked back.
But honestly, the canned stuff always worked well for me. Like you say, prices seem to have gotten absurd though. I think I only bought supermarkt brands near the end of my cart days.

I don't see myself going back to canned foams. I much prefer the sacred rite of foaming up my soaps with a nice brush.

I couldn't help but notice your awesome avatar and found it my duty to personally congratulate you on having a most excellent taste.

Greetings from Malle, where water, malt, yeast and hop gets turned into the purest of liquid gold.

Cheers 🍻

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m very satisfied with a brush and hard soap and gave up canned product a while back. I’m not sure what the current offerings are like, but there is no incentive to experiment with my ever growing soap collection. Sounds like there are several decent ones though, which is good to know. Being a SR shaver, if I’m in a hurry, I’m just not shaving, period. I’m good with time management and usually adjust accordingly. To be fair, my life is less hectic now and I prioritize accordingly.

Top Bottom