What's new

Lapping advice for Translucent Arkansas?

You don’t want to scuff up, or worse, dish out a polished counter top.
It's NOT my actual kitchen counter, it's an OFFCUT about 18" square that I got from friends when they were renovating their kitchen. I've confirmed it's granite. It's polished, so I will be able to see if it is wearing pretty quickly. But I guess I can source a cookie tray to go on top of it.

What I like to do is float glass with sandpaper on top. (If a lot of lapping needed I will use sic powder on top of the sandpaper). Have not lapped that many arks though

It's NOT my actual kitchen counter, it's an OFFCUT about 18" square that I got from friends when they were renovating their kitchen. I've confirmed it's granite. It's polished, so I will be able to see if it is wearing pretty quickly. But I guess I can source a cookie tray to go on top of it.

Oh, in that case….. have at it. Just use a large pattern so that if it wears, the wear pattern is large enough to provide a flat area. That’s what I do. I haven’t tried it but a cookie sheet sounds like a good idea.

I recommend a cookie sheet, that grit will track all over if you are not careful, and scratch all sorts of things. Including razors if you manage to get it on a finer stone, too!

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I haven't tried a cookie sheet yet, and I'm sure they help contain the mess.....but...I'm more than a little skeptical of how flat the cookie sheet is and keep in mind, it's pushing back at you, anywhere it's not flat.

Mess is a consideration. When I lap Arks on plate steel with silica sand, the sand is guaranteed to fly at least 3 feet in every direction. I get sand all over me and the entire work area where I do this. That is why I do it at work, in the bowels of hell where no one will notice the mess. Well, actually they do and cry about it so I clean up the area the best I can. A little discretion goes a long way in maintaining harmony......

...but...I'm more than a little skeptical of how flat the cookie sheet is and keep in mind, it's pushing back at you, anywhere it's not flat.
Yeah @duke672 , I've been assembling the various bits required for this project and on Sunday purchased a 3 piece set of cookie sheets from K-Mart. Looking at them, I had the same thought as they are fairly flimsy. I thought from a mess containment point of view they might be advantageous but how are they conducive to flatness? I had pretty much decided to do the lapping outdoors (it's summer here in Australia) and maybe use the cookie sheet on top of the very flat granite cooktop offcut that I have. I think you raise a very valid point; will see how this turns out in practice. Thanks for the input.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah @duke672 , I've been assembling the various bits required for this project and on Sunday purchased a 3 piece set of cookie sheets from K-Mart. Looking at them, I had the same thought as they are fairly flimsy. I thought from a mess containment point of view they might be advantageous but how are they conducive to flatness? I had pretty much decided to do the lapping outdoors (it's summer here in Australia) and maybe use the cookie sheet on top of the very flat granite cooktop offcut that I have. I think you raise a very valid point; will see how this turns out in practice. Thanks for the input.
I do it in the shed on glass sitting on an old table. The mess is not so bad, and when I need to I just walk a few steps into the yard and hose the old SIC off the glass (do not wash it down the sink, it will eventually clog the U bend.)

The only real consideration is a few particles of SIC will probably eventually get under the glass and scratch the table, so don't use a table that you care about the finish on.

The grit doesn't wear the steel anywhere near as fast as the stone. What counts is how flat what the sheet is on. It will wear, but if you cover a large area as you lap it will stay pretty flat.

Don't try this on marble....

20240320_114540.jpg

Finally got around to lapping this translucent ark; thanks to all for the useful advice. As I am 6'4" I had trouble finding a bench at the right height but eventually hit on the idea of using an ironing board as a taller base. An offcut of granite on top of that, then a cooky tray. I've finished both sides with 60/120/240/400 W&D and SiC, then finally 600 W&D only. After a few shaves I will consider going to 1000 or 1200 on one side. Looking forward to shave with an edge off it soon!

Top Bottom