What's new

Black Arkansas probably not

IMG_20230927_173626772.jpg

Recently I bought this "black Arkansas stone" from best sharpening stones. As i perhaps falsely assumed based on the description on the website that this was at least novaculite and not dunston like I have had in the past and was deeply annoyed over the purchase of.
IMG_20230927_173636785.jpg

When I was looking to buy this stone the description described it as an extra fine stone traditionally used to sharpen surgical and dental tools but the price being lower because it's only finished on one side and glued to the wood block.
When the stone finally showed up and I opened the package I at first got the sinking feeling that I had bought another dunston this time without it being pointed out. I looked the stone over and noticed darker patches that did not look like that cursed stone so I had hope.
Since the stone was lapped fairly flat if a bit course I decided to grab a wide chisel and "break it in" having done this I proceeded to take a sharpened but used razor and use this stone to touch it up. Seemed to bring the edge up ok tree topping arm hair and only lightly tugging on the beard.
Because I had already chamfered the edges and broke it in and didn't think I'd be able to return it I decided to use the band saw and cut it free from the wood. Having done this I lapped it to 600 grit, lapped as much of the glue residue off the back as I could.
IMG_20230929_164652435.jpg

IMG_20230929_164538576.jpg

The last pic is the close up of the stone post lapping. I then proceeded to do a quick and dirty specific gravity test which came out to an S.G. of about 2.76 I'm sure it wasn't super accurate since their is a tiny bit of glue left. Caveat emptor!

View attachment 1725092
Recently I bought this "black Arkansas stone" from best sharpening stones. As i perhaps falsely assumed based on the description on the website that this was at least novaculite and not dunston like I have had in the past and was deeply annoyed over the purchase of.
View attachment 1725094
When I was looking to buy this stone the description described it as an extra fine stone traditionally used to sharpen surgical and dental tools but the price being lower because it's only finished on one side and glued to the wood block.
When the stone finally showed up and I opened the package I at first got the sinking feeling that I had bought another dunston this time without it being pointed out. I looked the stone over and noticed darker patches that did not look like that cursed stone so I had hope.
Since the stone was lapped fairly flat if a bit course I decided to grab a wide chisel and "break it in" having done this I proceeded to take a sharpened but used razor and use this stone to touch it up. Seemed to bring the edge up ok tree topping arm hair and only lightly tugging on the beard.
Because I had already chamfered the edges and broke it in and didn't think I'd be able to return it I decided to use the band saw and cut it free from the wood. Having done this I lapped it to 600 grit, lapped as much of the glue residue off the back as I could.View attachment 1725102
View attachment 1725103
The last pic is the close up of the stone post lapping. I then proceeded to do a quick and dirty specific gravity test which came out to an S.G. of about 2.76 I'm sure it wasn't super accurate since their is a tiny bit of glue left. Caveat emptor!
Does it do the job on your razors? Worst case scenario is you have a mystery stone that hopefully can give you a good edge.

My next task will be to see if it will improve post coticule as I usually go to a greenish grey translucent ark. And if not see where it fits in a progression and if there is some benefit. Otherwise I'll probably move it down the road.

I bought the same stone from the same source, expecting it to be a Dunston. I had read some posts saying as much. I didn’t expect it to be a novaculite Arkansas hone as they can be nearly twice the price I paid. Measures 8x3 and SG comes in at 2.64 - not sure how that stacks relative to novaculite.

In any case, I’ve had good success with this stone. It’ll improve a coticule edge fairly easily. I’ve wanted a “real” black Arkansas but this one’s growing on me.

I bought the same stone from the same source, expecting it to be a Dunston. I had read some posts saying as much. I didn’t expect it to be a novaculite Arkansas hone as they can be nearly twice the price I paid. Measures 8x3 and SG comes in at 2.64 - not sure how that stacks relative to novaculite.

In any case, I’ve had good success with this stone. It’ll improve a coticule edge fairly easily. I’ve wanted a “real” black Arkansas but this one’s growing on me.
Actually 2.64 might very well be in the surgical black Arkansas realm. Mine is somewhat soft, about like a soft ark and has more of a thud than a ring when tapped. As far as edge goes I just finished a vintage magnetic cutlery co. Razor on it that I honed on a coticule and it set the edge back somewhat. Shaves ok a little bit harsh for my taste these days. If it was all I had I'd be ok till I could get something better.

I ordered one of these Black Arkansas in 10x3. It did not arrive with the rest of my order, so I have no opinion of the type of rock. At that price I was expecting to use it for knives and tools. I have a black surgical already, for a lot more $.

Best SS has not replied to any of my communications about the missing stone. Phone calls go to the answering service. Are they still operating?

I ordered one of these Black Arkansas in 10x3. It did not arrive with the rest of my order, so I have no opinion of the type of rock. At that price I was expecting to use it for knives and tools. I have a black surgical already, for a lot more $.

Best SS has not replied to any of my communications about the missing stone. Phone calls go to the answering service. Are they still operating?
Start a paypal claim. That will get you a response.

If the vendor doesn’t respond dont they approve your claim and refund?
I’m sure you’d rather have a stone than a refund I hope you get it worked out. Have you tried calling?
I looked at the website and I don’t see anything about backorders or vendor direct shipping.

Last edited:
IMG_9338.jpeg

Mine has similar figuring to yours but it was not glued to the box. It came extremely flat so I lapped it with W/D to 600 grit. They’re clearly labeling it surgical black. It’s very hard but I’ve never had a slate stone so can’t compare.

Legion

Staff member
This is why I stick to translucent Arks. At least you can tell visually what you are getting.

Mines too soft and porous to be even remotely related to surgical black Arkansas stone at least my understanding is they should be somewhat waxy in lustre even when lacking translucent. I had an 8x3 dunston black Arkansas I had bought and that stone was sold because I was annoyed by having bought it not knowing what it actually was. It was a clearance item on a tool site and I didn't pay a lot for it but still wasn't happy. I had bought a set and posted it here with what I believe is an actual surgical Arkansas. It's hard enough that a knife won't scratch it easily where the above stone definitely does scratch quite easily. It is possible that I borked the SG calculation.

View attachment 1726157
Mine has similar figuring to yours but it was not glued to the box. It came extremely flat so I lapped it with W/D to 600 grit. They’re clearly labeling it surgical black. It’s very hard but I’ve never had a slate stone so can’t compare.

That looks like a a Hard Black Arkansas Novaculite stone to me, and 2.64 is spot on density. Very nice.

View attachment 1725092
View attachment 1725094
Because I had already chamfered the edges and broke it in and didn't think I'd be able to return it I decided to use the band saw and cut it free from the wood. Having done this I lapped it to 600 grit, lapped as much of the glue residue off the back as I could.View attachment 1725102
View attachment 1725103

@sydres I have a similar black stone that I bought thinking it was going to be a steal of a deal, it's not one. I believe it to be a reformatted Arkansas stone, maybe novaculite powder. Looking at it under high magnification it doesn't have the correct crystalline structure and has various particles fused together. it isn't a bad knife stone actually, will polish nicely, but not for razors.

Pretty sure it's just a dunston! Too soft scratches with a knife lapped to 600 grit on wet/dry way to easy. I have another black Arkansas that most likely does qualify as a surgical and it just laughed at the wet/dry and the sand paper cowered in the corner. In practice the best sharpening stone is stone most likely dunston as mine has some "veining" and is softer than my non translucent hard Arkansas stones. It's somewhat different than the 8x3 dunston I used to own as it is a little harder but if it's actually novaculite and having a high SG while being soft is not a great sign.

Pretty sure it's just a dunston! Too soft scratches with a knife lapped to 600 grit on wet/dry way to easy. I have another black Arkansas that most likely does qualify as a surgical and it just laughed at the wet/dry and the sand paper cowered in the corner. In practice the best sharpening stone is stone most likely dunston as mine has some "veining" and is softer than my non translucent hard Arkansas stones. It's somewhat different than the 8x3 dunston I used to own as it is a little harder but if it's actually novaculite and having a high SG while being soft is not a great sign.

Ive never had a Dunston, or atleast was aware of it. My stone certainly could match up to some of the descriptions I've read however. Anyone who has tried a real hard Arkansas could never be fooled by this stone atleast.

Top Bottom