What's new

Viking whetstone

Legion

Staff member
Following a discussion yesterday I ended up doing a deep dive into the whetstones used and carried by the vikings on their travels.

3e71f3d286db00f4b628d6a133e29de5.jpg

Of course, that ended up with me "having" to get one. You know how that goes.

There are a few people selling various versions online, usually made of jasper, but they are all on the pricey side for me to buy on a silly whim, so off to the shed for some DIY.

Started with a Arkansas pocket stone that is about 3x1", and has a bit of a red colour for bling.
IMG_7952.jpeg

Drilled a hole, which proved to be easier than expected using a masonry bit in a press.
IMG_7953.jpeg

Shaped it some on the belt grinder.
IMG_7954.jpeg

Rounded the corners on a diamond plate.
IMG_7956.jpeg

Bit of a lap and a sand, done!

IMG_7957.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. If you look through my early posts, you'll find a picture of the one I bought by mail. It has one curved side, one that's slanted and a grove on the back for fishhooks.

Following a discussion yesterday I ended up doing a deap dive into the whetstones used and carried by the vikings on their travels.

View attachment 1814173

There are a few people selling various versions online, usually made of jasper, but they are all on the pricey side for me to buy on a silly whim, so off to the shed for some DIY.

Started with a Arkansas pocket stone that is about 3x1", and has a bit of a red colour for bling.
View attachment 1814180

Drilled a hole, which proved to be easier than expected using a masonry bit in a press.
View attachment 1814179

View attachment 1814178

View attachment 1814177

View attachment 1814176
I have a Dalmore blue slip stone(1.25"x5") that's filled out that I've often considered stringing and wearing. I can make short work of bad knife edges on a Dalmore with a little pressure.

Reactions: Wid
Following a discussion yesterday I ended up doing a deep dive into the whetstones used and carried by the vikings on their travels.

View attachment 1814173

View attachment 1814180

View attachment 1814179

View attachment 1814178

View attachment 1814177

View attachment 1814176

Splendid work. That was that little bit of broken soft ark I sent you one time for a pocketstone wasn't it?

(I also recognise the coti!)

Legion

Staff member
Splendid work. That was that little bit of broken soft ark I sent you one time for a pocketstone wasn't it?

(I also recognise the coti!)
No, that was a little Washita Mountain Whetstone Company pocket stone I had. I did consider that bit you sent though.

IMG_5041.jpeg

I guess not that much has changed up in the North in the last twelve hundred years…

Top Bottom