What's new

Keith's Straight Razor Odyssey

$safety-first.jpg

Straight Razor check-in, 07/21/2016

SR: Wester Brothers Mono
Soap: Tabac Original
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
AS: Floid Vigoroso

It was back to my first straight after a couple of days using my CVH. I think I'm beginning to see and feel the differences between these two razors. The WB is very sharp now, but shaves comfortably at a greater angle than my CVH and the WB feels "softer" if that makes any sense? My impression at this point is that the CVH feels like a smoother shave.

Two WTG passes on my cheeks and jaw line did the trick. A couple of ginger passes on my chin left it in need of a light DE clean-up. Results were DFS+.

Back to the CVH tomorrow for some more compare and contrast exercises!

Nice Keith, A lot of variables there, what type of grind, what type of honing and what type of stones, and of course the ergonomics of the razor. The smoother could be directly attributable to the stone used to hone, or more shaves on that particular razor. Each one will have it's own personality and how it treats you.

You are doing fantastic, at such an early time in your journey recognizing the subtle differences. Great job!

Double Edge Razor check-in, 07/22/2016

SR: Parker long handle safety razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue

Today was a "cheat day" for me as I had forgotten about a 7:30am annual physical tat I needed to be at. (Calendars on electronic devices work best when you actually pay to them, which I didn't until late last night). Rather than skipping a shave, I relied on my trusty Parker DE to whack my whiskers. While I really do enjoy my DE, I am getting really spoiled by my freshly honed straights and the results with my DE just doesn't compare. To be fair, it was one-pass shave, but even with two passes, the shave is good, but not the same. in a similar vein, I find that a third DE pass really doesn't seem to net me anything more than a bit of irritation, so I don't bother to even try it anymore.

Results - a DFS- in a hurry, and that's just fine for the likes of my mug today. Stay cool and have a great Friday gents!

That is just unacceptable, Life getting in the way of our shave time!!!!! blasphemy, LOL:lol: Good that you opted for a DE rather than rush and invite blood loss.

Nice to read your recent entries. Nice job on getting the razors honed and getting good SR shaves.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

That is just unacceptable, Life getting in the way of our shave time!!!!! blasphemy, LOL:lol: Good that you opted for a DE rather than rush and invite blood loss.

You are right sir! One of the many reasons that I decided to try shaving with a straight is to force myself to slow at least a small portion of my life down and enjoy some "me" time.

Another reason were to try to provide other mental and physical challenges to aid my aging brain in keeping some of its plasticity.

There is also certainly a nostalgic component. My avatar picture is of my great grandfather whom I never got to meet. The photo is from around 1910, and he would soon join the German army in WW1 as a member of the calvary. He moved to the States for a very brief time after the war but didn't like Arkansas very much and soon returned to his second home in Buenos Aires; never to return to the USA.

Maybe I should start a post asking others their motivations?

You are right sir! One of the many reasons that I decided to try shaving with a straight is to force myself to slow at least a small portion of my life down and enjoy some "me" time.

Another reason were to try to provide other mental and physical challenges to aid my aging brain in keeping some of its plasticity.

There is also certainly a nostalgic component. My avatar picture is of my great grandfather whom I never got to meet. The photo is from around 1910, and he would soon join the German army in WW1 as a member of the calvary. He moved to the States for a very brief time after the war but didn't like Arkansas very much and soon returned to his second home in Buenos Aires; never to return to the USA.

Maybe I should start a post asking others their motivations?

That would be a great idea!, mine was the nostalgia, and honestly with the looming possible threat of Alzheimers, it is a way to foce myself to use my aging grey matter as well, LOL

Straight Razor check-in, 07/25/2016

SR: C.V.H. No 4

Today's shave came late in the day. We went to see the original Planet of the Apes on the big screen and it was great seeing it as it was intended to be watched. Charleton Heston shaving his beard off with a knife inspired me to grab the most dangerous tool in the house, my CVH no.4. We're becoming fast friends now that I seem to have gotten the hang of this new bevel. Two WTG passes and a quick chin swipe with my DE finished off a DFS shave.

Off to Virginia tomorrow for a client meeting. That means I'm using a BIC metal disposable whilst away - :sad:

Have a safe trip. Check a bag, and you can shave like
you want to.

Very true, but sometimes my travel needs to be very efficient, and checking a bag is a hassle. Most of my trips are just 1-2 days, so I can live with a so-so shave. Makes me pine for my Straights!

Very true, but sometimes my travel needs to be very efficient, and checking a bag is a hassle. Most of my trips are just 1-2 days, so I can live with a so-so shave. Makes me pine for my Straights!

I completely understand. My colleagues hate traveling with me domestically because I always check a bag. I won't be without three things, a straight razor, a DE razor and blades and a knife or two.

Disposable check-in, 07/26/2016

Disposable: BIC Metal
Soap: Proraso Green

I know this is my SR journal and I'm writing about using a disposable, but sometimes you gotta "run what you brung." I'm in Virginia this morning after a client/job site meeting getting ready to return to Detroit. It's 0400 and a BIC disposable is my shaving weapon of last resort while carry-on travelling. Luckily, I have a nice brush and a good soap with me to lessen the misery. Holding this puny, weightless piece of plastic reminds me of the scene in North by Northwest where Cary Grant borrows Eva Marie Saint's microscopically small safety razor to shave his big mug while on the run from the police. Compared to almost any civilized shaving tool, these things are pathetic. Although the BIC Metal disposable offers no ritualistic pleasure, it does manage to get the job done. Two passes and I have a DFS result. A splash of Floid reminds me that life could be worse and that I've become a hopeless shaving snob.

Waiting at the airport to return to the Motor City and back to the office. The shave den awaits for a proper shave tomorrow. Have a great day gents!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nothing wrong with using a disposable. I often have taken my Sensor with me when traveling. On a cruise, space is at a premium both in terms of luggage as well as having to operate in some tight bathroom quarters.

Straight Razor check-in, 07/27/2016

Straight Razor: CVH No. 4
Aftercare: Gentleman John alum block

I'm back home in my shave den and it's a welcome feeling. I really need to estimate what shave number I'm at after taking a break from journailng, but I've been too lazy to do the math. It's just a number, right? Anyway, I grabbed the CVH and stropped it 30/60 pre and 25/50 post. I was delighted at the results of a 2-pass shave that went largely to plan. I made it through my chin with the No. 4, but still grabbed my DE for a final chin swipe. I did create a tiny weeper on the top shelf of my chin, but it was no big deal. I wiped my whole face with the alum block and finished the shave off with a generous splash of Vigoroso.

Results - DFS+

in other news, I've got a bottle of Proraso AS on the way and am looking forward to tying it. I was able to have a smell of it at the Grooming Lounge in McLean, VA while I was on my work trip and ordered some from the big A.

I'm also looking forward to the SR pass-around!

Top Bottom