What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Soda ash on soap is harmless it is just unsightly. I have had it on my home made soap. If you spray the top of the soap with alcohol it will not form. The below picture shows what it looks like. It might be hard to see on an already white soap of course.
View attachment 1818526
That's not quite what it looks like. It feels like loose grains that come off when I run my finger over it. Could be ash. Could be fat bloom. Could be precipitate Could be some substance used to prevent the pucks from sticking to the packing machinery. My first thought was that it could be some sort of packing byproduct. I have lots of experience with this because the Mrs. has Celiac and can't eat any gluten. You'd be surprised how many foods don't have gluten in their ingredients but aren't gluten-free because the packing machines are coated with flour to prevent sticking. This eliminates so many types of cereals, nuts, candies, etc.

Anyway, it'll wash off the first time I use it and I'll forget it was there in the first place.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Obi-Wan Kenobi Not The Droids GIF
I'm in a Darth Maul mood this morning. Don't tell nephew Corey. @Osyri 😆

image.jpg

That's not quite what it looks like. It feels like loose grains that come off when I run my finger over it. Could be ash. Could be fat bloom. Could be precipitate Could be some substance used to prevent the pucks from sticking to the packing machinery. My first thought was that it could be some sort of packing byproduct. I have lots of experience with this because the Mrs. has Celiac and can't eat any gluten. You'd be surprised how many foods don't have gluten in their ingredients but aren't gluten-free because the packing machines are coated with flour to prevent sticking. This eliminates so many types of cereals, nuts, candies, etc.

Anyway, it'll wash off the first time I use it and I'll forget it was there in the first place.
I seem to recall the same sort of thing on my tub of Arko. I just checked mine now and it does have about 6-8 crystals forming. I haven't used Arko since last August.

I had a really fantastic shave this morning. I loaded a fresh Dorco Prime Platinum into the MJ-90A and whipped up a fabulously creamy Arko lather. The Prime is slightly sharper than the ST301 Stainless. I used the ST301 for exclusively for over a month so I have a great feel for it. It’s not like going from a butter knife to a katana, but my whiskers did give slightly less resistance to being chopped down. We’ll see if it’s sharper tomorrow when the coating wears off more.

In another reason I won the lottery with my Mrs., she told me she loves the smell of Arko. I’ll probably continue to use other soaps here and there, but it looks like I’m an Arko man now.

It’s so well made that even this idiot can lather it.
I just used it this morning in a 50/50 mix with Ivory bath soap + 1 drop of glycerin. The resulting scent is sort of classic smelling to me, like what I irrationally imagine Edwardian England to be. Performance still very good in terms of lather stay.

I agree Arko is very easy to make a lather with - even so with hard water. And it is forgiving if you add too much water.

I used Colonel Conk soap for the first time this morning with great anticipation. I’ll reserve my final judgement until another shave or two are under my belt in case it was user error. I may have used too much water, but my first impression is this soap isn’t good. The lather falls apart immediately and is very thin. There’s no sense of moisture or luxury with it. The scent completely disappears when lathered. The shave was good enough. Close enough. No aftershave sting. But it wasn’t a very zen moment.

Perhaps the Colonel never saw any battlefield action and instead oversaw a stockade or prisoner camp, because this is the exact type of boring soap with minimal effectiveness that would be issued to prisoners to deprive them of any sort of joy.

I used Colonel Conk soap for the first time this morning with great anticipation. I’ll reserve my final judgement until another shave or two are under my belt in case it was user error. I may have used too much water, but my first impression is this soap isn’t good. The lather falls apart immediately and is very thin. There’s no sense of moisture or luxury with it. The scent completely disappears when lathered. The shave was good enough. Close enough. No aftershave sting. But it wasn’t a very zen moment.

Perhaps the Colonel never saw any battlefield action and instead oversaw a stockade or prisoner camp, because this is the exact type of boring soap with minimal effectiveness that would be issued to prisoners to deprive them of any sort of joy.
Never used col conk soap so I cannot speak for it, but yeah maybe less water will help. Hopefully it will.

Never used col conk soap so I cannot speak for it, but yeah maybe less water will help. Hopefully it will.
Hopefully, but I have low expectations. I've lathered other soaps in the past with too much water but they still retained their scent and moisture properties. I did a quick search on Colonel Conk reviews, and it seems they changed their formula not too long ago and others have experienced what I have. I guess the reviews I read earlier were about their older formula, which was quite good.

Top Bottom