What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

The current barrage of ads is taking up the entire screen again and has been slipping past my ad blocker, so it may be a few days before I really start posting more here again. The ads need to cycle through to make the site usable again.

Pretty nice shave this morning. Still on the Dorco ST-301 after 5 uses. It definitely is showing some age, but it still is cutting down the whiskers. I may really try to push this one to extinction for BOSC. I have one more in the tuck, which I am committed to finish for uncle @blethenstrom, but then I'll be trying some other blades in my stash.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.
Indeed we cannot allow opened tucks nor loose random blades just laying about in the den. I am down to just one loose blade left that will get used next week and the all the den mess will go out the window with a roar. I am proud of you for sticking it out with the Dorco ST-301. Also a great blade.

After that I will address my misc tucks from my sample packs etc. That project will take me about 1.5 year to complete.

Indeed we cannot allow opened tucks nor loose random blades just laying about in the den. I am down to just one loose blade left that will get used next week and the all the den mess will go out the window with a roar. I am proud of you for sticking it out with the Dorco ST-301. Also a great blade.

After that I will address my misc tucks from my sample packs etc. That project will take me about 1.5 year to complete.
I've used about 15 consecutive Dorco ST301 blades. I finished a previous tuck before opening the current 10-pack. Now I have a really good feel for the blade and once I finish the tuck, I plan on trying the other Dorcos to see how they compare. I've really come to appreciate the ST301. It's a spartan blade, but very effective. There's nothing to complain about it.

Indeed we cannot allow opened tucks nor loose random blades just laying about in the den.
Excuse me...but WHAT is it with this "open tuck" consternation? You're not supposed to have open tucks? Or you're supposed to use all the blades in a tuck before opening another? Who came up with that? I use a different blade (in rotation) for every shave. Thus , I have... DUN DUN DUNDUN...open tucks.

Excuse me...but WHAT is it with this "open tuck" consternation? You're not supposed to have open tucks? Or you're supposed to use all the blades in a tuck before opening another? Who came up with that? I use a different blade (in rotation) for every shave. Thus , I have... DUN DUN DUNDUN...open tucks.
You have to have proper order in your den my dear friend.......LOL. For me I learn blades much better if I use them for an extended period i.e. one tucks worth at a time. I can truly evaluate it sufficiently for me. If I just use one blade and then switch or even change blades between shaves I feel that I do not learn the blade properly. It is all me. That is how I operate.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a combination used blade bank on one side, blades in their paper on the other side. I cut the front label from the tuck and organize my blades that way. As a result, I have no tucks lying around. I have all my variety of blades available, but then, I don’t have that many from which to choose. I like it that way.

Let me put it another way: I have more razors than DE blades from which to choose. It would be much less expensive if I was more attracted to trying new blades instead of new razors. I think I’ve gathered my little family of razors and am done, but I keep adopting more “children”. I think that razor needs a nice home and I know I can keep it safe from harm. <eg>

For me I learn blades much better if I use them for an extended period i.e. one tucks worth at a time.
Aaah, I see. I use my blades for 10 shaves apiece...which for me, provides all the info I can process, assimilate and just plain ol' figger out. I did the extended shaves (up to 16) with all the blades I use to determine what each brand is/was capable of. Now, as I said, I bin them after 10 shaves having gotten the best out of all of them.
Cheers!

Indeed we cannot allow opened tucks nor loose random blades just laying about in the den
bots GIF

Hello Jay,

I started reading your journal a few weeks ago, beginning at the beginning. After reaching about page 40, I took some time off and today decided to skip the middle and jump back in near the end. I'm very sorry to learn about what your wife is going through and wish her the very best for a complete recovery.

Sending positive thoughts,
Paul

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Hello Jay,

I started reading your journal a few weeks ago, beginning at the beginning. After reaching about page 40, I took some time off and today decided to skip the middle and jump back in near the end. I'm very sorry to learn about what your wife is going through and wish her the very best for a complete recovery.

Paul
Jay is one of B & B's finest. A kind and generous soul. :)

Hello Jay,

Paul
Thanks, Paul. I appreciate it.

The Arko is still going strong, but I wanted to try something different today and used a fresh puck of Van der Hagen Basics Deluxe (how’s that for an oxymoron?).

It will take me a few shaves to get the water right as this is a very thirsty soap compared to Arko. My initial take is it isn’t as good as Arko (is there a soap in the galaxy that is?), but it gave a very nice shave. No aftershave sting despite the blade being toast on its sixth voyage.

IMG_0242.jpeg

Top Bottom