What's new

Is this TOBS brush a Rooney?

Do a Google search for Truefitt and Hill Wellington shaving brush. Looks like that brush has identical font as yours. They sell for about $100 USD. Good brushes. Made by Vulfix. Remember Rooney has been gone for a number of years now.View attachment 1588146
I didn’t know Rooney went out of business. I remember when I first signed on to B&B in 2011, Rooney was one of the popular brands. Since I came back in 2021, I rarely see Rooney in the threads on items “of the day.”

For who made it, hard to know, but that's a Style 1 handle made famous by Rooney. Likely old stock from when Rooney was around. the packaging looks like late 2000's to very early 2010's.

I didn’t know Rooney went out of business. I remember when I first signed on to B&B in 2011, Rooney was one of the popular brands. Since I came back in 2021, I rarely see Rooney in the threads on items “of the day.”
Not so much out of business, as transitioned. Rooney was always a small several person operation. Lee Sabini was (from what I understand) the primary hair hand working there, and he bought the business from the last of the Rooney family. He then purchased another small brush manufacturer that typically made brushes under store and barber brands, and revived their marque, and started selling brushes under that company's name.

You've probably heard of them recently, but had no reason to associate it with Rooney.

...Morris & Forndran.

Not so much out of business, as transitioned. Rooney was always a small several person operation. Lee Sabini was (from what I understand) the primary hair hand working there, and he bought the business from the last of the Rooney family. He then purchased another small brush manufacturer that typically made brushes under store and barber brands, and revived their marque, and started selling brushes under that company's name.

You've probably heard of them recently, but had no reason to associate it with Rooney.

...Morris & Forndran.
Yea, I have heard of M & F. Thanks!

There seemed to be a few transitions over time. In the beginning he seemed happy to entertain every request he could get. Towards the end there were definite difficulties acquiring quality hair and the knots had issues as well (I remember hearing a lot about shedding with the late Rooneys, etc). Not sure who turned the handles but I remember some odd ones which I happened to acquire one of, then the brief Paladin affiliation and now the Brad Sears, but it’s not the company it was.

I think he put what he could into it in the beginning, but various quality issues may have forced him to eventually wind down things.

$27.50?! That was a good find!

Based on the shape of the handle and the prints, I'm pretty sure your brush is a re-branded Rooney Style 1. I have a couple of Vulfix brushes, and their prints all read "Super Badger Handmade in England". The word "STERILIZED" only appears on my Rooney brushes. Rooney Super Badgers are fine brushes, just a little on the floppy side.

Top Bottom