What's new

Is this TOBS brush a Rooney?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It doesn't look like old stock- at least it doesn't look like 15 year old stock. So I'd guess it's a Vulfix product. Even when Rooney made brushes for TOBS, TandH, etc, they weren't alone. Vulfx & Simpsons and Kent also made brushes for those shops.

The seller said it says "Made in England" on the back, wouldn't that eliminate Vulfix as a possibility?

Owen Bawn

Toward the end there were terrible quality control problems with Rooneys and the brushes they sold to UK barber shops for rebranding. Classic Shaving here in the USA was stuck with a pile of them. They also had Truefitt and Hill Rooneys that were awful. They certainly weren't tied by Mr Sabini! I have a Style 3, Size 3 Rooney from that era that is unusable. More floppy than an old sopping rag mop. The brush in the center. A giant of a thing, but completely useless.

image.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Do a Google search for Truefitt and Hill Wellington shaving brush. Looks like that brush has identical font as yours. They sell for about $100 USD. Good brushes. Made by Vulfix. Remember Rooney has been gone for a number of years now.Screenshot_20230114_145200_Chrome.jpg

Toward the end there were terrible quality control problems with Rooneys and the brushes they sold to UK barber shops for rebranding. Classic Shaving here in the USA was stuck with a pile of them. They also had Truefitt and Hill Rooneys that were awful. They certainly weren't tied by Mr Sabini! I have a Style 3, Size 3 Rooney from that era that is unusable. More floppy than an old sopping rag mop. The brush in the center. A giant of a thing, but completely useless.

View attachment 1587968
I've got a Rooney like that, of much older vintage. It's so floppy as to be nigh unusable, for my taste.
16737265182922115705008886246618.jpg

Maybe this price sticker indicates whether its a vintage or recently made brush? I got it off ebay from someone who sells antiques.

s-l1600.jpg

Owen Bawn

Maybe this price sticker indicates whether its a vintage or recently made brush? I got it off ebay from someone who sells antiques.

View attachment 1588652
It's priced at 89 pounds 95 this very afternoon.

I emailed TOBS and got this response:

Dear Sir,

This brush looks to be over 10 years old and therefore without a close examination of this brush we can be sure of its full complete origins.

Kindest regards,
Michael
Taylor of Old Bond Street
74 Jermyn Street,
St James's, London
SW1Y 6NP, England
Tel: +44 (020) 7930 5544/5321
Email : [email protected]

Last edited:
Top Bottom