What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

Wow, reading this thread really humbled me. I just came here to read a little bit about watches. According to some, I am apparently a child, and am being looked down upon for not wearing a watch. And if I did wear a watch, it would be even more humiliating because I cannot afford an expensive, respected brand. Some people are a little too judgmental. /rant.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow, reading this thread really humbled me. I just came here to read a little bit about watches. According to some, I am apparently a child, and am being looked down upon for not wearing a watch. And if I did wear a watch, it would be even more humiliating because I cannot afford an expensive, respected brand. Some people are a little too judgmental. /rant.

Is it "worth" wearing a watch...well that's all in the eyes of the wearer or non-wearer.

Don't read to much in to this.

Guys, let's not make this into something more than it is. I'm one of the ones who said I judge a man by his watch. And I own a range from a $25 Seiko (that I wear all the time) to an Omega Seamaster. The foundation of what I was getting at was honestly directed at the new, massive watch craze, which I think looks cheap and silly. When I see another guy wearing a "blingin" 48mm watch, I just sort of laugh, whereas if I see someone wearing a $50 automatic Seiko, I'm likely to strike up a conversation about mechanical watches. Nothing more, nothing less. My favorite person in the world wears the ridiculous massive watches that will stop running in three years, and I give him grief over it all the time. It doesn't mean anything, except we value different things as it relates to watches.....I aim for quality of movement, reliability, longevity, and a little bit of style. He aims for style, bling, style, bling, bling! At the end of the day, it doesn't mean much.

I wear an inexpensive Timex watch all the time. Classic, simple black dial with white markings. I am just an old school guy and I like having access to correct time at the flick of a wrist.

I am a Scoutmaster and we ban cell phones on our trips to get the Scouts away from them for 24-48 hours. They use their phones to tell time on the rare occasions that they care about it at all.

Several times per day on the trips, I will be asked, "What time is it?"

My standard reply, "Time for you to get a watch."

My Scouts have heard this so many times by now that they know what's coming and they ask anyway.

I have a cell phone (pocket watch).

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch." I had a Casio calculator watch that lasted like 12 years on the same battery (!), the band broke before the power ran out.

Over time this has become "battery died." Seriously, I have a cell phone. The battery's rechargeable. It's not like a watch is going to plug in and recharge; the battery dies eventually and you have to go inside.

I actually went through watch withdrawal for like 3 or 4 years... just never bothered to buy another watch, eventually stopped wanting one hanging on my wrist.

Reading this, I would say (in your case) ... do not bother with a watch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I think you may have taken this harder than it was intended.

And I think a lot of the "judge" comments are aimed more at using "judge" as a short-form way of saying "gain preliminary information about the individual from non-verbal clues" sort of thing rather than deciding whether or not the guy is "bad" or a d-bag or whatever.

And I think a lot of the "judge" comments are aimed more at using "judge" as a short-form way of saying "gain preliminary information about the individual from non-verbal clues" sort of thing

I agree there is no malicious intent behind any of this. I echo what a few others have pointed out though. It's a slippery slope. What you see is not always what you get. I know folks who are broke as a joke because of what they "have". I also know folks on the polar opposite of that. The only thing I can possibly imagine one would gain certain information on is solely regarding the watch.

For example... Rolex. They can be heirlooms, stolen, fake, a dream come true purchase with honest money, a dream come true purchase with dishonest money, a theft, gift. Just too many variables... And that's just with regards to one single watch! I just see it as an inaccurate waste of time. If one is willing to waste their time, they don't require a highly accurate watch anyway IMO.

Last edited:
I think you may have taken this harder than it was intended.

I wasn't really dwelling on it or feeling bad, just surprised at some of the comments that seemed to look down on others. Usually people are much more respectable towards their fellows around here. It's all good. I actually own a nice Longines pocket watch, which I do not get to wear as often as I would like since most pants do not have a place for pocket watches anymore. I originally started reading this thread because I was considering getting a wrist watch, which I probably will.

I agree there is no malicious intent behind any of this. I echo what a few others have pointed out though. It's a slippery slope. What you see is not always what you get. I know folks who are broke as a joke because of what they "have". I also know folks on the polar opposite of that. The only thing I can possibly imagine one would gain certain information on is solely regarding the watch.

For example... Rolex. They can be heirlooms, stolen, fake, a dream come true purchase with honest money, a dream come true purchase with dishonest money, a theft, gift. Just too many variables... And that's just with regards to one single watch! I just see it as an inaccurate waste of time. If one is willing to waste their time, they don't require a highly accurate watch anyway IMO.

Not to get too far from your point (which is a fair one), but I would like to speak about the "inaccurate" comment a tad because I think it might be helpful for any of the watch people reading this thread. I think mechanical watches sometimes get this reputation without full information. When I was a kid I always remember my father (not reallly a watch nut) complaining that his Rolex was innaccurate after a few years of owning it. Keep in mind he only bought this becuase he reached a certain level of self-proclaimed success that he wanted to celebrate. After 10+ years of owning, it just sat in a drawer and he wouldn't wear it. So, naturally, growing up I always thought the same. As I got older and into watches I realized it was simply a matter of his watch needing servicing. I think many people discount this aspect of owning a mechanical watch as it's a pretty expensive part of maintaining them. Accordingly, they don't do it and their watches run way too fast/slow. A well tuned and cared for Rolex (or any other quality brand mechanical watch for that matter) can be very, very accurate (-/+ 1 second). That said, can you achieve the same or better accuracy from a cheap digital watch? Of course, but everyone has a preference in what they buy and wear. (This is after all the Haberdashery sub forum where people's interest range from high end shoes to bespoke suits to good work boots for being out in the cold.) The way I see it, it's the same with cars. Some people like a point A to point B, others prefer something a bit different. Whether you like watches, hate them, prefer digital, quartz, whatever---that's all part of what makes this place fun. I just wanted to address the accuracy piece for anyone else reading (like me) who didn't understand the servicing aspect and upkeep of a mechanical watch.

I'm a cook, so if my hands are in any way shwaggy I can't/don't want to dig in my pocket for a phone, so I need a watch to know where I'm at. Started wearing one years ago, now feel too naked without it.

I wasn't really dwelling on it or feeling bad, just surprised at some of the comments that seemed to look down on others. Usually people are much more respectable towards their fellows around here.

That's unfortunate.

I like watches in every price range. I don't think any less of a person wearing a 25 dollar timex, and I also am not impressed by someone wearing an omega or a rolex, or even a patek.

I just like watches. I'll probably never have my grail, an omega planet ocean, because any time I have five or seven dollars to spend, I'll likely spend it on something for the house, or for my wife, or for my kids. Or a motorcycle. I'll likely always wear a seiko or something in the tudor black bay range.... but I can still admire other watches, inexpensive or expensive. I don't admire a person because of their watch, nor would I think less of someone because of their watch, whether costly or inexpensive. I think most people are this way.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I think that there's some truth in the judgements, on a very broad scale though. In any event, someone wearing a fake/replica falls into the fool or tool category, not to be trusted. If you can't afford a (fill in the blank) don't go the faux route. After that, a mechanical watch bespeaks someone who is probably into watches, especially if it is a winder. An Accutron says somebody cares about their gear, as not many are found running around on wrists anymore. A PAM 112 says you have found a true watch nerd ..

All in fun, save the fakers.

I think it's a generational thing....

I have a love/hate relationship for watches. I grew up in the 80's. We all had a fluorescent SWATCH watch of some sort. I've had various watches that have left me with a rash on my wrist...I've had various that have no effect at all. I don't know what the issue is.

My Step-Dad had a large collection of gold watches that he wore all the time. I was left four of his watches after he passed away. I have no idea if they're worth anything and they all need batteries (which I will have replaced).

When I was an EMT quite a few years ago, I wore an analog watch because it was easier for me to get vitals from people in a hurry.

I currently also own a Luger watch I picked up cheap in a mall at a kiosk about 15 or 20 years ago that I like - it needs a battery I haven't replaced but need to.

I was in Calgary last October - used to pulling my cell phone out of my pocket to tell time and I don't have an international cell plan so I left it at home. I was uncomfortable because 1) I was in a foreign place where I didn't have my East/West bearings all the time so I couldn't guesstimate the time and 2) I couldn't find a clock anywhere and I couldn't tell what time it was.

When I got home, I bought an old standby that I wear daily - a Timex Expedition with a leather strap.

Quite frankly, I don't wear watches to impress people. I'm the type of guy that if I bought a Rolex or a Movado it would be out of dependability or functionality as well as for investment purposes more than anything else...and I have contemplated buying a Rolex in the past.

It's no different than choosing to shave with a Merkur or a Gillette Fat Boy - you buy the Merkur to get close shave. You buy the Gillette Fat Boy to experience it first hand and to make a small investment that may gain in value in the future.

If you're comfortable with just a cell phone for telling time, then cool...go with that. I like my watch - it's smaller and isn't as distracting in dark places when I'm checking the time (like during bad movies I'm watching with a close friend and I don't want her to notice). YMMV

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch."

That is one way to do it, but not all watches have batteries. I personally find it far more convenient to glance at my wrist for he time or date than to dig out my phone and turn it on, but to each his own.

Top Bottom