What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

To tie back to the "judging" comment- for me, I certainly don't think less of anyone who doesn’t wear a watch or wears a cheap watch for that matter. It's just not important to some people. I don’t think more if they have an expensive watch. I do, however, observe people's choices in watches and if I notice it's something out of the ordinary or with historical significance or rare, I may strike up a conversation with the person about watches as they may share a similar passion. I also love commenting/observing a person wearing a watch clearly much older than them. Some are vintage watch collectors, but more often than not when I compliment/comment on it, I find out it's a family wacth (father, grandfather, etc.) and that usually brings back fond memories for the wearer and makes for interesting conversation.

I just found this post the other day and havent read all the pages yet but to the original question I would put it like this...is it worth shaving with a DE/SE/Straight when there are electric shavers and multiblade whoohaa out there now? Same argument to me.

To tie back to the "judging" comment- for me, I certainly don't think less of anyone who doesn’t wear a watch or wears a cheap watch for that matter. It's just not important to some people. I don’t think more if they have an expensive watch. I do, however, observe people's choices in watches and if I notice it's something out of the ordinary or with historical significance or rare, I may strike up a conversation with the person about watches as they may share a similar passion. I also love commenting/observing a person wearing a watch clearly much older than them. Some are vintage watch collectors, but more often than not when I compliment/comment on it, I find out it's a family wacth (father, grandfather, etc.) and that usually brings back fond memories for the wearer and makes for interesting conversation.

This for the win. I would never judge someone or make assumptions based on their watch but I would have a conversation with someone if they wore something interesting. Guy at work had a Fossil on his desk. Not a high end watch but it had a breitling style band, which is slightly unusual metal link pattern. I said "nice watch". He got a big smile and that led into a nice conversation about how he doesnt know much about watches but his wife gave it to him etc etc. He wasn't smiling because of the watch, he was smiling because his wife gave him something thoughtful. That told me a lot more about him than a $70 watch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Judge ... just don't be this guy:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

And always keep your mind open to changing your initial impression of someone. (You see an attractive young lady at the University bus exchange, with a well-thumbed copy of a thick book under her arm ... a book on a subject you particularly enjoy and you know that book to be excellent and written at a very high level ... brainy stuff indeed. So, suitably impressed, you go over to strike up a conversation with almost certainly a PhD candidate (or better) in your favourite subject. "Oh, yeah, like, this book? Um, yeah, like my sister is like a student here or something, and I'm like bringing her her like book or whatever that she like forgot or something like yeah and so um ..." Bummer.)

Not to get too far from your point (which is a fair one), but I would like to speak about the "inaccurate" comment a tad because I think it might be helpful for any of the watch people reading this thread. I think mechanical watches sometimes get this reputation without full information. When I was a kid I always remember my father (not reallly a watch nut) complaining that his Rolex was innaccurate after a few years of owning it. Keep in mind he only bought this becuase he reached a certain level of self-proclaimed success that he wanted to celebrate. After 10+ years of owning, it just sat in a drawer and he wouldn't wear it. So, naturally, growing up I always thought the same. As I got older and into watches I realized it was simply a matter of his watch needing servicing. I think many people discount this aspect of owning a mechanical watch as it's a pretty expensive part of maintaining them. Accordingly, they don't do it and their watches run way too fast/slow. A well tuned and cared for Rolex (or any other quality brand mechanical watch for that matter) can be very, very accurate (-/+ 1 second). That said, can you achieve the same or better accuracy from a cheap digital watch? Of course, but everyone has a preference in what they buy and wear. (This is after all the Haberdashery sub forum where people's interest range from high end shoes to bespoke suits to good work boots for being out in the cold.) The way I see it, it's the same with cars. Some people like a point A to point B, others prefer something a bit different. Whether you like watches, hate them, prefer digital, quartz, whatever---that's all part of what makes this place fun. I just wanted to address the accuracy piece for anyone else reading (like me) who didn't understand the servicing aspect and upkeep of a mechanical watch.

when I first got my SMP serviced (arguably the workhorse of my collection for many years) it cost $500. I almost passed out.

as time has gone on, I've come to accept this cost as a part of my watch collecting hobby. I personally view it the same as tuning up my car etc and I budget for it.

Threads like these here can quickly devolve as everyone judges the value of a dollar differently. I will always have a quality watch because I am passionate about them...but I'll never have a nice car and will likely drive a beat up pickup until I die....just don't care as much about the car. It needs to be safe and get me where I'm going...YMMV

at the same time, I realize everyone is different. I don't judge people on their watches...the majority of folks I meet don't share my passion for the hobby. That's ok by me!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The service costs are intimidating, I just had my Chronoswiss Lunar done and hope to get 10 more years @$35 per year out of it .. I used to get a $35 Timex every other year, so no big deal .. 'cept there are 4 other mechanical s about .. maybe should give them to the heirs now ..

$cslunar eclipse.jpg

The service costs are intimidating, I just had my Chronoswiss Lunar done and hope to get 10 more years @$35 per year out of it .. I used to get a $35 Timex every other year, so no big deal .. 'cept there are 4 other mechanical s about .. maybe should give them to the heirs now ..

View attachment 542680

Yeah...but that stunner needs a little TLC from time to time!

This is not cheap in service costs as well, but I am a big fan of 1950's and 1960's mechanical watches.

attachment.php

Do you need an Omega that must be wound each day, and that needs an expensive service at least every decade, to know the time? Of course not, but wearing it gives me pleasure. And that is worth the money for me.

Beautiful examples gentlemen. It was said well in an earlier post; it's very similar to wet shaving. Most people I know think I'm nuts for shaving with a straight razor or a cartridge or electric, using soap over canned cream, honing my own blades on "obscure" stones. This, like anything, is a hobby of passion more than a means of functionality.

Last edited:
A wrist watch is a necessity in my work. It needs to be read in an instant and waterproof to a degree. I wear my watch 24/7 and have for as long as I can remember. Consequently I like to show a bit of style while retaining function.

Currently I wear a Citizen Black.

proxy.php

Hah, I almost picked that exact model up last month....i get into watch frenzies and scour the internet for hours..then get close to buying...then re think it for a day or so....and usually end up deleting it from my cart

Never jad a citizen but heard good things. Looking for all or mainly blacked out watch...either in that range or up to 1k..so it's a lot of searching lol

Last edited:
This one is from 1969. My collection is much smaller than it once was, just a few keepers left.

I think it's worth wearing

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1422120765390.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422120765390.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 118
Feel naked without a watch, even though I have a personal cell phone and business cell phone.

What strikes me as odd is, others who don't wear watches seeing that I have one, asking me for the time because they are too lazy to pull out their cell phone and find out for themselves!

As for the "judging" element of wearing a watch... if you're wearing a watch to make an impression on others, you're already trying too hard. And that will be obvious to the people you're trying to make an impression on: it bespeaks insecurity.

You should wear a watch because 1) it makes practical sense for you, and/or 2) because it gives you pleasure or satisfaction.

Otherwise, skip it and use your cellphone.

Walking the dog in the dark camping under the stars. No light but the stars and maybe the moon. May want to see how long you've been gone or how long it might take to get back. Option 1 - look at those trustworthy tritium tinged arms of that timepiece or sear one's eyeballs by waking the cell.

I'm a high school teacher and need to keep track of time constantly - fishing in my pocket for my phone every 2 minutes looks like I'm unprofessional/a drug dealer so a watch is essential. I wore a Casio F-91 for a while....memories!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm a high school teacher and need to keep track of time constantly - fishing in my pocket for my phone every 2 minutes looks like I'm unprofessional/a drug dealer so a watch is essential. I wore a Casio F-91 for a while....memories!

Is that you, Walter?

Walking the dog in the dark camping under the stars. No light but the stars and maybe the moon. May want to see how long you've been gone or how long it might take to get back. Option 1 - look at those trustworthy tritium tinged arms of that timepiece or sear one's eyeballs by waking the cell.

The lume on some timepieces these days is stunning!

Top Bottom