What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

To me, it's like saying, "why buy a television when I can watch movies on my PC?" People still enjoy 'em. I used to buy watches that would not last more than 2 years and I admit, I got fed up with it, too. Then I bought an Invicta, which lasted years. I was hooked. Look at it another way. Many men just use their cell phones for the time, which means less men wear a nice watch. If you like wearing nice clothes, a watch becomes part of your style. I've even worn blue jeans, a T shirt, and a nice watch. It dresses it up. People notice.
I recommend an automatic, which winds the watch by the movement of your hand.

I feel naked without a watch but favour mechanical automatic watches so batteries are usually not an issue (only resetting them once every few days).

It's my only accessory (if I do not count my wedding ring).

A watch is a must - and if you are the type of man who is interested in using a safety razor or straight razor, then a watch (iMHO) is absolutely mandatory - no doubt. And, I would suggest that either an automatic movement or manual wind is most appropriate. Amongst my collection is a 35 year old Seiko automatic movement which has been solid for all these years. New Seiko automatics can be had for a reasonable price -but search the web for insights and reviews on the various movements they offer - some are better. I revolve my wear of several : Seiko, Rolex Subamriner, Breitling Chrono, Rolex Yachtmaster...to name a few. Treat yourself - and you don't need to spend thousands (but if you might. I can recommend it highly). My Seiko is a trust go-to which I will hand down to one of my boys someday (along with the rest). Think beyond your wrist and to those of admiring children, or neohews/nieces.

As usual around here, YMMV. If you are working for a company where the corporate culture is to where suits or even dress shirts and ties, you should wear a watch as an accessory. It may sound silly to you, but in those kinds of companies it matters to the people around you. That being said, after I left the IT department of a hotel chain I have mostly worked in khakis and polo shirts and haven't worn a watch on a regular basis. That used to drive my late wife nuts, as she worked in a suit and tie environment.

I do where a watch as an accessory when going out for the evening.

I always wear a watch when flying a plane as I need to know the time for navigation, judging fuel consumption (never trust the gauges), and because it's a rental that needs to be back at a certain time. The watch also serves as a reminder in a couple of ways:
  1. I move the watch to my right wrist when opening a flight plan. If it isn't on my left wrist and I'm not airborne I better get on the phone and close the flight plan.
  2. For the first 30 minutes of the hour the minute hand points right, so that's the wing tank I set the fuel selector to. From half past until the top of the hour, it points left and that's the tank I select.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can't wear a ring at work so i got her lips tattooed on me. That way she can't get upset because i never wear my ring lol.

I was always taking it off. I work around high voltages and hydraulic fluid. I took it off when washing my hands. I cannot stand water under a ring or a watch.

I had a collection of 60 Disney watches, then got out of using them due to my cellphone and battery cost. Now, I wear my Citizen Ecodrive and at first it was an accessory, but now I never use my phone to tell the time and feel lost without it. And since its a solar watch, there is NOOOO need to replace any batteries.

I've always worn a watch from the time I had my first Timex as a kid. I've had numerous watches over the years. Current favourite is a Vostok Amphibia.

It's more second nature to check my wrist for time and date than my mobile phone.

It's no different to some guys always wearing a suit or tie, or even trainers or jeans...

Each of us have our own personal dress standard, really.

I am very much a newbie here, and thusly I am unsure of how much my opinion matters.
I feel that wearing a tasteful timepiece is a great habit toget into. A nice understated watch can do wonders to complete a professional look.

Maybe I am overthinking this but wearing a (preferably mechanical) watch is not simply about time or style, it is a state of mind. When looking into the face of my watch I am not only reading the time, but taking a trip back to a time before the cellular phone was king. A watch takes me back to when quality, precision, and simplicity mattered much more than having the newest cell phone. My personal opinion: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Here is a picture of my Seiko. I wouldn't trade this minimalistic beauty for anything.

$Myseiko Driving.jpg

Last edited:
It's easier for me to look at my watch than check my cell. If battery life is a concern, go with a solar powered model.

+1

In my business, I need atomic accuracy, to the second.
My cell phones don't display seconds, so the only way to accurately set the time on a device is to set it to the next minute and then anticipate when the phone is going to kick over from a 55 to 56.

Citizen Eco-Drive Solar Atomic. Set it and forget it. Takes 2 seconds to adjust it when changing time zones.

I paid about $225 on sale at Costco. They have a number of models including chrono and diver style. I just wanted a traditional analog.

$citizenSA.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hmmm, is it worth wearing a watch?
proxy.php

I don't own a wrist watch, but a 1936 Longines 14K pocket watch (engraved with my full name, birthdate and the quote..."A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...
a Pocket Watch
tells a Story."
).

Besides keeping time, my watch has great sentimental value (many, many years ago when I joined the Sevice, my Father had passed this watch, chain, fob, charms and pocket knife on to me [which I will pass on to my oldest son]), to include satisfiying my interest and link with the past (the 'good old day's, antiques, vintage. ect...), and tradition.

proxy.php
"One must learn to govern time...not be governed by it". CBJ

Attached Image - My watch attached to a long 14K chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic Charms (plus a horse shoe for good luck), attached and has a 'Mustard Seed' as the watch fob.

Attachments

• $wm_normal_my_pocket_watch.jpg
    $wm_normal_my_pocket_watch.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Well I have a couple pocket watches, a cheap K mart one I dunno the brand plain ole silver it is alright. I got a good one from Winchester I got for my late father I am gonna get a battery replaced in to use, heirloom I am hoping. I wear normally a Casio wrist watch that ran me about $200 a G Shock yadda ya, but in winter they get annoying getting caught on the layers in my sleeves in the cold and my flexible band watch spins and thats annoying so thinking about switching to my pocket watch to avoid all that plus I think it is stylish! I got a phone as well, but I don't see them as stylish imho just me thoguh lol.

I feel every man should have a nice watch. It says something about you. I am not a big designer clothes person but I do have several nice watches. You can customize your watch to fit your tastes. Here is a photo of my Christmas present to myself with a custom Kain Heritage leather strap. I picked the color of leather, stitching, and the pvd buckle. It is a Panerai 177. I also have a Rolex Submariner (my wife got me for my 40th) and a Doxa Searambler. I almost always buy used because if I get bored with one or ever need money I can sell it on a watch forum. You never really lose money if you buy smart and sometimes you gain some. Kinda like stock you can actually hold and use.

$pamfront.JPG$pamback.JPG

Go out without a watch? Would you go out without a pocket knife, or pants to put it in? There are only 4 things you should reach into your pocket for: 1) wallet, 2) keys, 3) handkerchief, 4) discreet adjustments. Ok, maybe that's a bit overstated.

Top Bottom