What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

Lol. I guess they don't exist anymore. A hundred years ago, you could probably walk into any general store or mercantile and walk past the barrels of coffee beans, flour, and rice to the back counter, and buy a nice pocket watch for $5 that was designed and built by an old world Swiss or German watchmaker.

Actually, and quite sadly, a hundred years ago it would have been an American made timepiece that would have crushed a swiss or german watch in accuracy. It was only mid to late 20th century when the swiss started keeping the time. Of course, ramping post war production after the war in the 40's was a problem and that was the true beginning of the end for the American Watch Industry. Enter the swiss, and you have what you have now.

When flying, we use a clock for quite a bit of navigation and while there is one on the panel (it is usually pretty crappy), I trust a good chronometer on my wrist.

Many many many of those clocks in the panel (at least those of the 8 day wind up variety) have Swiss movements, many, if not most of them, by Breitling. I tried to price a new one from Beech (King Air yoke cap mount) and it was north of $3K IIRC. I had two of the old Wakmann (Breitling), or (was it Waltham?) clocks worked over (were NOS).

OMyMyOHellYes

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If I ever have to go to the jewelry store with the wife, you will find me drooling at the watch case. In the future, I may be getting a promotion that will require dressing with a jacket and tie (the horror, the horror). I may go 3 piece, because I think a pocket watch is a classy looking thing. I really like the ones with the visible movements (which will make me feel better, since my work experience is in the technical field).

I....I.... I just can't believe that someone wouldn't wear a watch.....I'm......flummoxed.

Actually, my wife doesn't and most of my friends don't.
She asks me for the time so I guess it all works out.
It just means I have to wear a watch, so I get permission to buy (right???)

I haven't worn a watch since 2000, except when I'm running or for extended travel (Timex Ironman). I try to use technology to simplify my life, so if I have my phone, no need for a watch. I haven't had a land line since 2000 as well.

I agree with having a functional accessory and spending a little more for something with a mechanical twist. If your battery powered watch dies however, it's about 10-15 bucks to replace the battery at sears, perhaps cheaper. You'll probably spend more on electricity for a cell phone. I also think it's a little easier to use a watch in social settings, checking your watch vs checking your phone. Also, there have been cases where I don't want someone to know I have a cell phone (when I'm out on the town, when strangers ask to borrow a phone, etc) and having a watch allows me to check the time independently.
- J

If you are traveling in unsavoury parts it's a lot safer to consult your cheap Timex than pull out your iPhone or Samsung Galaxy SIII. For an added twist, deliberately smash it against a rock before you leave the house. :)

And if you feel like being an a** you can conspicuously check your wrist watch with a furrowed brow to show your displeasure with whatever is going on. Checking your cell phone doesn't have the same effect.

I have a cell phone (pocket watch).

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch." I had a Casio calculator watch that lasted like 12 years on the same battery (!), the band broke before the power ran out.

Over time this has become "battery died." Seriously, I have a cell phone. The battery's rechargeable. It's not like a watch is going to plug in and recharge; the battery dies eventually and you have to go inside.

I actually went through watch withdrawal for like 3 or 4 years... just never bothered to buy another watch, eventually stopped wanting one hanging on my wrist.

My wife has diamonds and I have watches.

I used to be in your camp, always had a battery run watch, except for a 2yr period of an automatic- which I lost. i cannot imagine life without a watch- without a cell phone yes. I almost never take mine off my wrist except for an occasional cleaning. have a citizen eco drive now for almost 7 months- love it- not the best looking watch- but wont trade it ever. i cannot afford a nice automatic- like the precision of a quartz watch. Its like DE shaving- a watch is always going to a nice addition.

My current job does not allow me to carry a cellphone so wearing a wristwatch is extremely important to meet the numerous engagements that I have during the week. On the weekend I have my trusty cell but oftentimes I find the bulk of a cellphone in my pocket to be more of a hinderance (especially in the recent heatwave) than a help.

Bottom line, I need a watch right now for multiple reasons most of them work related. More importantly if you are coaching a group of 8-9 year olds in youth sports it helps to have a watch to manage your time to ensure your kids aren't bored:thumbup:. Anyone who has coached kids can relate!!!!!!

Last edited:
This is a really interesting thread... I wear a watch all the time I am awake... but similar to choosing to preserve the tradition of wetshaving, I wear a watch with an automatic movement. No batteries to die. It has springs and gears and uses the same "mechanics" to keep time as was invented more than 200 years ago. Like my practice of wetshaving, one of the true delights of my day is to look down at my watch, or raise it to my ear and hear the rapid ticking of the movement...

Michael

Lol. I guess they don't exist anymore. A hundred years ago, you could probably walk into any general store or mercantile and walk past the barrels of coffee beans, flour, and rice to the back counter, and buy a nice pocket watch for $5 that was designed and built by an old world Swiss or German watchmaker.

And at some time during WW1 men started asking jewellers to convert their pocket watches to be worn on the wrist. Why? Because it was much more convenient and practical to glance at your wrist to tell the time than rummaging around in a pocket when you were about go 'over the top'. I think the cellphone-as-watch thing is a fad, and when people begin to realize how practical this 'unitasker' is wristwatches will be back in fashion.

Top Bottom