What's new

I tried my hand at restoring a Gillette Slim J-2 (1964)...

proxy.php

Foreword
This might be a rather silly story, but I should set the scene... I entered the world of DE safety razor shaving maybe only about two months ago. Switching over to a safety razor (from overpriced, ineffective cartridges) might just be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

A few weeks ago, I found myself engaged in a conversation about razors with someone in the comments section of a YouTube video. The guy told me about his Gillette Slim and how it consistently remained the best razor he'd used, and I have to admit that ever since initially exploring the world of safety razors, I'd wondered what it'd be to have an adjustable razor or a TTO razor. The Slim just happened to combine these two qualities in one package, so I snooped around Ebay and ordered one from the U.S. for about $30. The postage to the UK cost me another $14, so at the end of the day, the total ended up around £30.

It looked to be in a rather worn condition, but I figured that restoring it would be a nice side project. I do enjoy tinkering around with things, after all, and wanted to see if I could make it look good again. About a week or so later, my new razor showed up in the mail, and it was up to me.

The results
Having already looked at threads about razor restoration by that point, I didn't forget to take pictures! Without further ado, allow me to present my results in all "phases" of the experiment, in the form of image albums.

NB: In both comparisons, the photos on the left were taken before the restoration, and pictures on the right -- after. Though that should be completely obvious by the photos themselves.

I tried to keep the lighting consistent and the shots similar, but it wasn't perfect. The camera also seemed to magnify all apparent issues: for some reason the remaining corroded(?) spots (as well as the discoloured spots before polishing) are a lot harder to notice when not looking through a lens.

The process
I used an amalgamation of advice largely found in this forum. The entire process went as follows:

• Soak the razor for about half an hour in hot, but not boiling water heavily infused with dishwashing liquid (Fairy Original in my case);
  • Scrub with an old soft toothbrush and rinse;
  • Soak in isopropyl alcohol (70%) for an hour;
  • Scrub with the toothbrush and rinse;
  • Continue soaking in isopropyl for another hour (the first soak didn't seem to achieve as much as I wanted it to);
  • Scrub again, this time employing cotton buds and the point of a wooden skewer to get stubborn dirt out of the difficult bits with greater precision;
  • Polish (Peek polishing paste and an old T-shirt cut up into cotton rags) vigorously for an hour until satisfied.

I don't consider the finish perfect, and perhaps using a bit of sandpaper would've helped with the tiny rusty/pitted spot visible on the doors, but at the end of the day, I didn't want to be too rough on the plating, and besides, as my flatmate said, this way it's got some character. Personally, I'm rather happy with how it turned out.

Furthermore, again, the camera appears to exacerbate the problems. The imperfections in the polished surface, as well as the tiny darker spots here and there are significantly harder to spot with a naked eye.

This was a very fun little side project. The razor itself works perfectly, and I can't wait to try it out.

So, as a first-timer, how'd I do? Comments, criticism, and suggestions for a refinement of the process are always welcome and appreciated. :)

R

romsitsa

Nice work, but I wouldn’t recommend sanding any plating, except you intend to replate it. Even fine grits, like 1000-1500, will strip away the plating in seconds. Rust spots should come out with polish, but pits are in the brass, these are better left alone till a replate.
The after photo shows an uneven blade gap, take a look at it. Not sure wether the safety bar is bent or the end connector has some play.

Adam

I'm going through the same with my slims.

Granted I'm not out to make it flawless just clean and shiny but you did a really good job. Now can you shave with it a tell us how it was lol?

Great stuff!
Peek's a fabulous polish & I prefer the Slim to the Fatboy in terms of ergonomics & also the actual shave.

Thanks everyone! I can now rest easy that I've not actually screwed it up a lot. :)

Now can you shave with it a tell us how it was lol?
That's why I waited until today. Fresh Astra blade, three passes with the razor set at 7/3/1 respectively. Worked quite well, but I feel like I've not gotten the hang of it yet. After all, I'm just a newbie and this is my second razor. I do have to say though, at setting 1 I got the mildest ATG shave I've ever had (of the dozen or so shaves in total I've had, haha). In my eyes, that's a great success.

(One of the other reasons why I bought the Slip was my hope that it'd be milder against the grain, as my R89 works fantastic WTG and XTG, but tends to give me a lot of burn ATG. My technique is definitely bad, and maybe just using a mild blade for the third pass would be a great idea, but I wanted to see how an adjustable would fare... and well, I wanted to see if I could restore a great piece of kit that's more than twice my age!)

Nice work, but I wouldn’t recommend sanding any plating, except you intend to replate it. Even fine grits, like 1000-1500, will strip away the plating in seconds. Rust spots should come out with polish, but pits are in the brass, these are better left alone till a replate.
The after photo shows an uneven blade gap, take a look at it. Not sure wether the safety bar is bent or the end connector has some play.
Thanks Adam, I guess it was a great idea that I didn't try to sand the plating. :D

I assume you mean the image at the top, and not one of the others in the albums? I had a look, and you're absolutely right: there is a tiny little gap. I guess I unwittingly bought a slanted TTO adjustable razor. :p Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be more than half a millimetre, and doesn't seem to be a big issue, at least judging from the first shave. I'm not going to even try and disassemble the razor though, and I'd rather not try and somehow... bend it into shape? Well, guess I'll have to live with it.

Looks great. I do the same. Try some Flitz polish and scrub it down including the handle.
That's a wonderful razor! I know that people recommend Flitz a lot, but it was pretty expensive compared to Peek. But maybe I'll get my hands on some in the future, and see what happens then. :)

Great job, you've done very well cleaning & bringing back to life a fantastic razor, enjoy! Be careful using rubbing alcohol, I've read some forum members using alcohol on their razors & damaging the plating. I have not experienced it myself, just passing on what I've read.

Top Bottom