What's new

I Need Your Opinions

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you don't care about the fact that it's a converter filler then go for Nakaya. It's a looker of a brand. But I can definitely see how some would find them overpriced for what they are.

The converter IS a limiting factor, no doubt. From a strictly utilitarian standpoint I cannot see the Nakaya as an improvement over the Pilot CH 92 but ... sometimes you want to own a work of art!

Horses for courses, to each his own, YMMV, and all that.

The converter IS a limiting factor, no doubt. From a strictly utilitarian standpoint I cannot see the Nakaya as an improvement over the Pilot CH 92 but ... sometimes you want to own a work of art!

Horses for courses, to each his own, YMMV, and all that.
+1 I think that is the allure of the Nakaya. The nib is probably fine and the converter, well...but knowing the sheer amount of craftsmanship that went into each pen is quite appealing.

On the other hand, the lava composite of the HS is quite intriguing as well.

Truth be known, over the course of time I will probably get both. Given the time!

Have you ever held the HS in your fingers? The lava stone feels amazing.

As said above, I cannot give a recommendation, because I never held the Nakaya. But recommending pens from a picture is a risky thing, in my opinion.

Okay, no, I haven't held it and your right. I based my decision on a pic. I also didn't know the HS is a piston filler. Further, I didn't know the Nakaya cost so much more. Like I said, The Visconti HS. Hands down. Seriously, thanx for politely pointing out my dumb *** comment.

Okay, no, I haven't held it and your right. I based my decision on a pic.

I fear that I may have been a bit harsh in my writing; my apology for that.

But yes, I love the feel and heft of the Visconti (I don't own one, but I tried it at a pen shop). The Nakaya may be a great pen, but I don't know (apart from seeing an online picture indeed).

One pen that disappointed me when I saw it for real, was the Pelikan "cappuccino". The catalogue photographer did a great job to bring out the best of that pen :wink2: Anyway, pictures can be deceiving, of course.

But yes, I love the feel and heft of the Visconti (I don't own one, but I tried it at a pen shop). The Nakaya may be a great pen, but I don't know (apart from seeing an online picture indeed).

One pen that disappointed me when I saw it for real, was the Pelikan "cappuccino". The catalogue photographer did a great job to bring out the best of that pen :wink2: Anyway, pictures can be deceiving, of course.
Completely unrelated: my wife calls me her Eeyore

I own the HS steel and I love the pen, but honestly it was just an intermediate step on my way to a Nakaya Piccolo. I want the Nakaya purely for the finish.

so I also vote for Nakaya...until you eventually buy both

I'd probably buy a Pelikan, but the Nakaya is a beauty.
I have three Pelikans, M200 Café Crème, M600 Red Stripe, and an M805 Stresemann. I really like that brand but the 805 is about as big as I'm going to get. The M1000 is just too big for my hand. One day though I may get an M400 or 405 just to fill in that gap.

I own the HS steel and I love the pen, but honestly it was just an intermediate step on my way to a Nakaya Piccolo. I want the Nakaya purely for the finish.

so I also vote for Nakaya...until you eventually buy both
Deep down I know this to be the truth. BTW which size HS Steel did you get?

No, no, no. That's why I thanked you for the polite response. You were correct.

Top Bottom