What's new

How does one repair an umbrella?

This must not be a popular thing to do since Google returned some pretty useless articles :thumbdown

I have an umbrella that used to belong to my grandfather. The umbrella, a Knirps, is no fancy Swaine Adeney Brigg, but it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I noticed a small hole in the cloth today. How does one repair that?

In general, one doesn't. But unless you get the whole thing recovered, patching it is (obviously) the only option. I'm not certain anyone even provides an umbrella re-covering service, and if they did it would no doubt be terribly expensive and change the look of your umbrella - which might ruin some of the sentimental value.

There are a number of sewing products such as Fray-Stay which can be used to prevent a tear or hole from getting bigger. Perhaps something like that could help as a preventative measure in any other worn spots. As for the hole itself, you might have to look at some sort of iron-on patch. As far as I'm aware, most "waterproof" patching is intended for much thicker material such as canvas tents.

I'm sure a bit of nail varnish around the hole would stop it fraying and getting bigger. That's what my ex used to do when she got a hole in an otherwise decent pair of tights! Otherwise glue on a small patch from underneath. You could get the thin cloth from another old umbrella that's had it perhaps.

Gareth

Since so few people repair umbrellas, what do people with Swaine Adeney Brigg or other high-end umbrella do if they ever get a hole in them? Do those companies normally offer repair services?

Yep, that is the case. I have a Swaine one and if anything is needed jut ship it to the UK and they repair whatever is needed. There was an old gentleman in NYC that repaired them but not sure if he is around. Can try getting you his phone.

CR

Call James Smith & Sons in London and ask them what to do. If they won't fix it, they'll tell you who to send it to. Also, there's a place in Chicago (Perfect Stitch I think it's called) that can repair holes in any fabric relatively inexpensively. They repaired holes in a camel hair coat of mine, and if I gave you all day to examine the coat, you still wouldn't find the repairs.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Depending on the size of the hole and your tolerance of aesthetic imperfections, a patch (some sort of heat/glue thing?) may work. I don't know, I've never tried. Otherwise, replacing the cover would be the next option. Look for an umbrella store in any nearby large cities ... you are likely to find someone who has been around since the year dot, and who does competent umbrella repair work. It'd cost more than the umbrella is worth, no doubt, but ... for the sentimental value, I suspect you'd find it "worth it".

Top Bottom