What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

Still, this shows numbers, but not causation. They do not show how they know or what specifically is the cause in processed meats. These are numbers without meaning. I'm not saying that something in such foods does not cause problems, but I have not seen a peer reviewed study where people were only fed certain foods and their health monitored.

If there were things in such foods that increased mortality, then I would think the FDA would regulate them or restrict their use in foods.

There could be other things that actually caused the mortality increase, such as a poor overall diet, lifestyle choices, genetics, environmental factors, and other things I can think of. It isn't enough to say, "We studied ten million people". The focus would need to be more specific and other factors ruled out. However, a diet of regular consumption would be on my list of things not to do.

If there were things in such foods that increased mortality, then I would think the FDA would regulate them or restrict their use in foods.
The problem is is that there’s really no consensus on what’s considered “safe” when it comes to food additives. I know there’s some that are considered safe by the FDA but banned or restricted in Europe and vise versa.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
man oh man i love me some hot dogs

hot dog.png

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
You're just not hungry enough

Like all of us, my mother occasionally had a less-than-stellar result in the kitchen. Generally such dishes were served with a side of platitudes and aphorisms, well-aged. "Hunger is the best sauce." "Good food went into it; it's not going to hurt you." "I used to really like this when I was your age." "Be thankful you got anything."

If that didn't work Dad would get involved and put a heavy size 10 squarely on top of the objections. "Your mother worked real hard on this food." That was a shot across the bow, usually not necessary but also freighted with dire implications. He might, if instant silence were delivered, unbend to the extent of reminding me that I was aware of the location of the crackers and peanut butter. :) The animal sense of preservation with which most children are endowed told me that down that road lay ruin, so I would shut up and eat.

O.H.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Soylent Green
ctr:
...;

proxy.php
"Ocean's dying, plankton's dying... it's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them"! Detective Thorn..."Soylent Green"

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Wow, there's an old memory...

Many years ago near Jan. 25th I stopped in a tavern to find a rather odd Robbie Burns celebration in progress. They were serving haggis-stuffed dogs. I ate a few. Not bad.

But not something I want on a regular basis, either.

O.H.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
BTW hot doggers...ever wonder why;

proxy.php
"Only in America do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and hot dog buns in packages of eight". Anonymous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom