What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

I've always wondered. But you're telling me outside of the USA it's different?
From my understanding it’s how hotdogs used to be sold before they came prepackaged versus the buns. Buns usually are made in 4 bun trays so it’s pretty easy to sell them in 8 packs. Hotdogs used to be sold in the butcher case by the pound. So depending on what butcher you’re using it would determine how many hotdogs you’re getting if you ordered them by the pound

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I've always wondered. But you're telling me outside of the USA it's different?
Chef
Not sure if the bun 'packaging' is different or not outside the continental U.S. Shoulder Shrug.jpg

"Only in America do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight". Anonymous.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Our butcher here in Western Canada tends to package hot dogs by the 16. The real reason, in this case anyway, is that they just don't like messing with only 8 per package, and most of their customers prefer to buy larger quantities anyway. When I buy them I repackage them in twos and freeze them. Mrs. Hippie can't eat them and two's enough to tone down the Jones for a while.

Do love me some emulsified meat product sausages. :) And for those who are "plant based curious" or even "plant based skeptical" I'll say that I've had some very good veggie dogs. Heck, I've made some very good veggie dogs. They are not the same as meat in every jot and tittle; but they are tasty and satisfying and definitely vegetarian food has come a long, long way from the days of only bean sprouts, tofu and brown rice. With some nice homemade Russian kraut (cabbage, carrots, onion, garlic, tarragon, caraway, cranberries) on a toasted sourdough bun it ain't a Costco gut bomb.

Not that there's anything wrong about a Costco gut bomb. I almost had one yesterday but I was in Costco late in the afternoon and I didn't want to spoil my supper.

O.H.

I get in the mood for a hot dog once or twice a year. Must be that time again because I've been eyeing hot dogs at the grocery the past few trips. Living in an apartment the past 3 years, I can no longer grill so I'll just buy and nuke Ball Park franks. At least once a year I'll get a couple of Texas Weiners somewhere, but they're brutal on my old stomach and it takes a year to forget. There's a Texas Weiners in Plainfield, NJ, that's been there since 1924 and is still open 24 hours. My friends and I used to go there at all hours back in high school in the early 60s. Been tempted to revisit the original, but no one intentionally goes to Plainfield anymore. The riots of the 60s and opening of malls killed that once major shopping town.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Before the plague we used to spend several days at the end of each summer at a little fair in the region. They had a nice little merch zone, all the 4H stuff, arts and crafts, demos of various regional professions (timber, farming, ranching...), a beer garden, a rodeo, draft horse pulls (my favourite) and some fairly good eats. Put an item in for judging in crafts and they'd give you free admission for the whole run of the fair -- so I won a few red ribbons* for beer and Mrs. Hippie picked up a few for pickles.

One year I was heading past as the food vendors were gettting ready to shut down and I heard one guy say to his coworker, "I guess we'll just toss these last four sausages..." My ears grew points like Mr. Spock :). Long story shorter I got them for a buck apiece with fresh rolls and all the sauerkraut I could pile on.

*Traditionally in Canada red was the colour for first place, blue for second.

O.H.

Amen.

I eat hotdogs at diners around here, because my lovely best friend won't allow them in the house; she likes the monthly check from my Unkle Sam just enough to keep me healthy.

There is nothing like a quality hotdog tho.... With sauerkraut and catsup....

I'm getting hungry doggone!
Quality being the key word here...there are a few quality brands I'll eat a few times per year, with very few ingredients.
I'm sure most here have heard the old saying about what hot dogs are made of.
Lips, ti%s and a$$holes.💩

Grilled is my preferred choice. However, pan browned in cast iron is also good. Toppings: mustard, or mustard and onions, or mustard onions and chili. Coke to drink or if the dog has chili on it then I prefer root beer.

Top Bottom