What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

I just like the ones from the gas station roller grills. Just with yellow mustard & relish. I read somewhere on the web that every hot dog you eat takes 40 seconds off your life. Oh well.
I haven’t had a “roller” dog in awhile. Wish they would sell them after 10pm after I get off work. As far as the 40 second thing something’s going to get us eventually. Might as well enjoy the ride while we can

Those people are just blowing smoke to sound and look smart. Do any of us have a clock taped to us? Did they put a clock on a whole lot of people and watch those clocks until all of them died? How could they possibly know such a thing?

I do think there is evidence that eating processed foods can cause cancer in some people, but certainly not everyone. Plus, no one has ever done a study to find out if it is all such foods, or only some brands or types.

I drive by there a few times a year and usually stop for lunch if the timing works out. My sister lives in Stroudsburg, PA, and we love camping and hiking at the Delaware Water Gap. Johnny’s dogs are good. And the place is in a cool spot. But we recently discovered a burger stand nearby on that same route called Humpty Jr’s that makes absolutely killer burgers. So splitting our attentions between the two has reduced my number of Hot Dog Johnny’s trips per year.

I'm from south of the gap so maybe if we do a day trip, I could do Johnny's on the way up, and hit Humpty Jr's on the way back. Thanks for the tip!

I’ll be back in Chicagoland for 3-weeks next month. This is a must read for planning my pizza-alternative meals
If you're going to be near Superdawg and haven't been there before, stop by. The hot dogs are good (though no better than most other Chicago dogs).
The Wiener's Circle also makes good hot dogs, but they're served with a side of intentional rudeness/foul language (as part of their schtick). Aside from that, look for hole-in-the-wall type hot dog stands with a Vienna Beef sign out front.

For a good alternative to a Chicago dog, there's always the pork sandwich at Maxwell Street Depot. (They do also have Chicago dogs, though.) Of course, there's also the Italian beef sandwich, which is perhaps just as ubiquitous as the Chicago dog there. Unfortunately, my favorite place closed (and it's been a decade and a half since I've been back) so I don't have any recommendations for an Italian beef stand. Still, they should be pretty common. I liked my Italian beefs dipped, with hot peppers on top, and a side of au jus for more dipping.

...How could they possibly know such a thing?...
The Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study provides a comprehensive picture of mortality and disability across countries, time, age, and sex. It quantifies health loss from hundreds of diseases, injuries, and risk factors, so that health systems can be improved and disparities eliminated.

And several others.

Pfft, science...

That being said, I love hotdogs, wieners, frankfurters and everything in between. The only way I serve them is boiled. I dislike them any other way.

Top Bottom