What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I grilled and ate 2 and a half Tony Packo's Front St. hotdogs this afternoon. I grilled 3 with the intention of cutting one up for the dog but I enjoyed the first two so much the dog got only a half. Half a tin of Bush's Steakhouse Recipe beans and homemade cole slaw. And a half sour pickle. Vernor's Ginger Ale, a nice spicy soda with a surprisingly 'real' ginger taste.
Vernors is the best! And a Koegels hot dog is hard to beat. Lol, I used to buy them by the 20 lb. case!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Vernors is the best! And a Koegels hot dog is hard to beat. Lol, I used to buy them by the 20 lb. case!
Vernon's are good. I find Koegels a bit mealy or mushy. Same with Winter's. The taste is there but the texture or consistency puts me off. As I always say, nothing compares to Tony Packo's.

There's a hot dog stand on Rt 46 near the Delaware Water Gap where my family would stop on our once a year day trip when I was a boy. Some of my earliest memories are of this place, called Hot Dog Johnny's.
1693880977272.png

They deep fry their dogs in peanut oil, and another of their specialties buttermilk. Basically, the only thing they sell is hot dogs, fries and buttermilk. The only toppings available are yellow mustard, diced raw onion (when I say diced, I mean teeny tiny) pickle spears, relish or ketchup.

Their standard dog (the only we ever got them when I was a kid) which they call a "dog with everything" or simply a "with" comes with yellow mustard, diced onion, and a pickle spear. (If you really want everything, you have to order a "route 80" dog with will also have the relish and ketchup)

I do enjoy a chilli cheese dog from time to time, and when I first moved out on my own, before my bride domesticated me, I ate more hot dogs with chilli and cheese than I care to admit (7-11 practically gave them away, what was I supposed to do?)
1693881010964.png

But to this day, a hot dog is just missing something for me if it's not covered in tiny diced onions, yellow mustard and a kosher dill spear.

Bon Appetit Gourmet GIF by Studios 2016

Perfect!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There's a hot dog stand on Rt 46 near the Delaware Water Gap where my family would stop on our once a year day trip when I was a boy. Some of my earliest memories are of this place, called Hot Dog Johnny's.
I drive by there a few times a year and usually stop for lunch if the timing works out. My sister lives in Stroudsburg, PA, and we love camping and hiking at the Delaware Water Gap. Johnny’s dogs are good. And the place is in a cool spot. But we recently discovered a burger stand nearby on that same route called Humpty Jr’s that makes absolutely killer burgers. So splitting our attentions between the two has reduced my number of Hot Dog Johnny’s trips per year.

That's it. I'm going to quit following this thread. You guys torture me. Good dogs can't be had, here. The ones we get are mostly chicken and they are spiced unbelievably badly. These poor people have never eaten a real hot dog and I haven't since I've lived here. Thank God for Johnsonville brats and sausages, which I can get.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Although it is an altogether different thing than a juicy, spicy natural casing dog on an excellent bun of your choice, a Hebrew National 97% fat free dog on an HEB Nature's Grain bun is pretty darned good for only 100 calories.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Although it is an altogether different thing than a juicy, spicy natural casing dog on an excellent bun of your choice, a Hebrew National 97% fat free dog on an HEB Nature's Grain bun is pretty darned good for only 100 calories.
Perhaps...but a fat pair of Hebrew National knockwurst on a bed of baked beans with 3 slices of warm molasses brown bread slathered in butter is probably just as good.

Love hot dogs. Cooked any which way with mustard and onions. At a base ball game, best thing in the world. A good Chicagodog, wow! Sonic used to sell a good one but they stopped for some dumb reason. Best item on their menu.

Funny story, my grandfather(Italian)first visit to USA to see his son / my dad. We are talking a very long time ago..
Landed in NY, never seen nor heard of a hot dog. Well he had like 13 hot dogs that day and other stuff...pizza slices, sausages....he lived to 81...
Now me, I only have beef and or pork (Canadian Bacon only) once a month..
So it a sirloin steak, tenderloin, sirloin burger that is going in my belly....
One cow top ingredient only....
You guys enjoy your dogs...I be grilling my steak...
Cheers
BFX

Screw the pizza. Blech! Get a few Chicagodogs. Had a surprisingly good one at the concession stand at Millennium Park
ChicagoDogs + Peppers for sure

Regardless of where, I could live off of quality pizzas - toggle between tavern style during the week and deep over the weekend

Top Bottom