What's new

Honing forum is slow these days. So... Hone Pics power, ACTIVATE!

Picked up a "knife stone... listed with webphone" on eBay for $25 shipped BIN. Figured a good chance it was junk, but it was a webcam pic, the stone was covered with slurry and the colors were off making it look quite green, so I figured a gamble at something that could be nice. Wound up arriving and I'm puzzled at man again.

First off it's a 6x2 Cnat. I mean it's a $18-20 stone anyway, so I don't see the point in not just admitting what it was and losing $5 on the deal, but there's no figuring some people. But it's clearly a stone the seller had just gotten. He had made an attempt to lap it and gave up. Lapped one side (my guess is to test it and see what it was like) and then listed it as a mystery stone with a bad picture.

So I get a stone lapped on a 0.5x2" surface and about 1/4 lapped on one side. I look at it and the side he started on was typical of the Cnats I've seen. A few black dots and streaks. Nothing fancy. The reverse side looked cool though, so I lapped and chamf'ed it up quick. Stone seems very soft for a CNat (It's the fourth I've had), though a part of that is probably the fact that the rubbing stone is smaller than my previous ones were.

The "blob" of yellow and black speckles does seem to drag a razor, but It didn't affect the edge in any apparent way in HHT. We'll know when I shave. HHT was decent. If it's to be trusted this is the best Cnat I've had. HHT was right around Arky, but still below Thuri (So it did degrade the Thuri edge I tested it with). Under a scope the cut pattern was very consistent (expected with a hard stone finished on slurry), but the scratches were noticeably larger than my finer stones. Larger than a 10k JIS synth even. I'll shave with it than maybe try it without slurry and see if it's different.

Anyway, point is it's rather pretty for a Cnat.

Attachments

• $PICT0567.JPG
    $PICT0567.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
My CNat is also softer than any I have tried in the past and quite fast as well as far as CNat go. I don't use it much but I consider it a good stone.

My CNat is also softer than any I have tried in the past and quite fast as well as far as CNat go. I don't use it much but I consider it a good stone.

That's about my opinion on this. Shaved off it on water today and it's definitely improved over shaving off its slurry. It's actually a REALLY nice stone for $25. But it's still behind a good thuri edge for sure. And this is the FOURTH I've bought at ~$25-35 each. The other three weren't close to as nice as this one. This is the fastest by far and leaves the best edge.

I had a squiggly line one before, but I don't think it made much difference between it and my other two. The squiggles certainly weren't that pronounced though.

That yellow at the bottom edge, is that the stone? That's a hell of an interesting Cnat. Even the color seems more grey/green toned than most.

The dark lines in mine go the whole length of the stone. Almost looks like it was cut sideways and those are strata lines.

No it came from Natchez. He bought a big slab and sold a few on the Contributors forum about a year a go I think. I suck with dates so I don't really remember when.They all looked like this.

Last edited:
New toy.

Takashima Karasu, possibly with Namazu.
160 x 42 x 32 mm.
So far, all I can say is that when running my fingers over the top, it feels similar to my other Karasu...

proxy.php

my first party of hones before i sold'em all. i bought second party more than this picture and sold them all too.
these are finer than cotis and never been used (of course i tested some of them)

proxy.php

Top Bottom