What's new

Honing forum is slow these days. So... Hone Pics power, ACTIVATE!

I hone directly on those larger Nagura. Once in a great while I'll get silly and grab one of them and use it like a regular Nagura on the Awase.

They're on the softer side of things, so, the stone release fresh particles easily. As a result, the slurry is constantly refreshed, and it doesn't break down like it does on the Awase.
Plus - as Nelson skillfully pointed out - each Nagura is different, regardless of the stamp.
The whole of any one Nagura is a sum of its parts - cut it up and you can have 4 markedly different Nagura. Or 4 identical ones. Depends on the stone.
The larger nagura are seemingly more complex, so they're really not just big versions of the smaller slurry stones.
The two Mejiro in that photo are totally different. Both can be used similarly once you get your head wrapped around it, and you can also use them in different ways.
They're both Mejiro, so you can plan to use them after Tenjou, or before Koma - depending on the Koma and the Tenjou in question of course.
Yet - the smaller one on the right is softer than than the big one in the back, its slurry breaks faster, like Tenjou - but it cuts/polishes like Koma.
Its hard to follow that one if you use it like a nagura on an Awase. I only have one Koma that will take the edge further than that Mejiro can; its a brilliant step-stone in a progression or a lead in stone for an extensive touchup.
The large one is harder - much harder, and I like to work Tenjou slurry on the awase till it's shot, then go to the big Mejiro for further refinement - then on to the awase with Koma.
I'm still learning that one. I also use it to refresh the top of the Awase after honing sometimes.

Sorry for the blathering - I'm still kind of jazzed over today's shave I guess.

Last edited:
Nagura are fun especially when you can line them up in some type progression. I have been very fortunate, with the help of very cool and equally knowledgeable nagura heads, I now have the effiicient and repeatable Nagura progression previously shown on this thread.

Sheesh. Y/G 6x2" escher is selling for almost $750 on eBay right now with 2 days to go.

I don't even use my 6x2" Y/G thuri. The price people will pay for a label.
and the highest bidder is the same guy that bought a barber's delight for 690 a few days before... wonder why is he hoarding them..

It's probably someone with a lot of expendable income who just got into it and heard that XYZ is "TEH GRAETEST! CHOO MUST OWNZ!"

I remember offering someone a labeled 7x1.5" for $100 to be nice a while back (a blue), when they were eBaying for $250-350. He asked me if it was y/g then acted like I was trying to rip him off when I told him it was blue. I think I eBayed it for almost $300 three days later.

and the highest bidder is the same guy that bought a barber's delight for 690 a few days before... wonder why is he hoarding them..

Last edited:
I sold my Escher labeled for average money on eBay because I found a unlabeled stone I like the feel of a bit better and the fact is was $400 less for the same size didn't hurt my feelings either. The edges from both stone are very similar and possibly the same if I could hone the same identical way twice.

My preference for thuri's is based mostly on feel. I like the satiny ones the most. Perhaps Escher graded well and didn't market certain rocks, but there's no evidence of that which I've seen beyond wishful thinking by guys who have Escher's. Honestly the stone that made me most jealous was a boxed grey/green extra soft Fuchs with slurry that someone posted recently. I think it was an 8", maybe bigger. Doubt it cost them even $200. Slap an escher label on it, that's an $800 rock.

My preference for thuri's is based mostly on feel. I like the satiny ones the most. Perhaps Escher graded well and didn't market certain rocks, but there's no evidence of that which I've seen beyond wishful thinking by guys who have Escher's. Honestly the stone that made me most jealous was a boxed grey/green extra soft Fuchs with slurry that someone posted recently. I think it was an 8", maybe bigger. Doubt it cost them even $200. Slap an escher label on it, that's an $800 rock.
I must have missed it. Was similar to this in color?

$IMG_4467.jpg

my hones. top row l-r, carbo 101, double amalgamite, c12k, thuri w/ rubber, thuri (boxed), bbw row 2 l-r,duro (double hone), ruby, american, row 3 l-r, carbo 118s, clearcut, llyn melynlln w/ rubber, vintage coti combo, vintage coti glued to slate, coti, buffalo easy hone, and a triangle shaped coti bout combo i used 4 a rubber. these are most of my hones that could be used as finishers except my translucent arki. bevel setters and such not included. yes i suffer from HAD. i admit it. i liked honing before i ever got into straights. i almost forgot my largest hone a c12k that measures 15 1/4" x 6" x 2 1/4" this thing is huge it reminds me of a 2'' cap block. tom

Attachments

• $Picture 286.jpg
    $Picture 286.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
My hones - Nakayama asagi from Alex, les Lats hybrid, la Veinette, la Dressante bout, les Lats hybrid bout and hybrid slurry stone

$IMG_6269_resized large.jpg

Paul

Top Bottom